Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing Fifth Injector

s man

Afternoon all

First post and a long old story.

Had some really bad white smoke issues from my 56 plate is220 so took it in to Lexus Edgware for a full check up.

They came back with a quote for £5k of work including EGR replacement, new DPF and new fifth injector. It was safe to say on a car this old I declined there kind offer and took it to a good friend of mine who could only find a fault for the egr which when replaced left the car with much more power and better pick up all round.

I still however have huge plumes of white smoke at times in many different conditions which I am guessing is down to the Fifth injector passing to much fuel through as it smells of diesel so the presumption is that it is unburned fuel. Before I'm asked I have no other signs of HG issues and it really does stink of diesel.

My question is has anyone ever replaced the Fifth injector on here and how big of a job is it as I am aware of it's awkward location? Will it need to be programmed to the ECU and can I get away with picking up a second hand newer one as Lexus quoted around £1200 for it to be brought and fitted and on a car this old its not worth that cost to me.

I actually really love my car as it's a motorway muncher for me I just want to lose the annoyance I have of continuously stressing an feeling embarrassed at the clouds of white smoke behind me!

• 2 weeks later...

Ive not attempted to remove/change a 5th injector but ive heard its a bit of a pig of a job..from what ive heard the number of the new injector has to be entered into the ECU.Im surprised that you have problem with the DPF though if its motorway miles the car is doing

• 5 years later...

Going to raise this post from the dead as I can't find anything relating to it,

has anyone every changed there 5th injector? - and if So does it need programming to the ECU? - I've just bought myself one but don't want to have to take it all apart to find out I then need to tell the ECU it's new!

Hope someone can help!

• 2 months later...

Im going to give this a go and replace my fifth injector as I reckon its leaking. Usual story with my IS220d. White smoke at warm up (lots of it). Usually on a hill near my house and when waiting at lights, just as the engine heats up - its like clockwork. Then its white smoke intermittently there afterwards, some days its bad other days not so bad. MPG low 20s on urban driving. 

Here is what I have done. 

1. EGR cleaned within an inch of its life

2. Inlet manifold off and cleaned - about a kg of black gunk came out. Long job took 2 days. Followed advice on this site - thanks Monocle!!! Drives way better now, still smokes 

3. DPF off and professionally cleaned. Still smokes 

4. MAF sensor changed. Still smoked. MAF values are high though and this is puzzling me. They are way out of spec at idle and hence why I changed the MAF. High at idle - 14 - 17 gm/s???

5. MAP sensor cleaned.  Still smokes 

6. EGR valve blanked off and mapped out. Mapper guy can reverse for me, I may do this yet. 

7. DPF sensor disconnected and tested - still smokes Tried wiggle test with techstream connected up as per Smutts advice on this site - produces no results, suspect wiring is OK. 

8. Dont think its HG, not losing coolant or gas. 

Spoke to a few people, they think its a weeping 5th injector. Its an awkward spot, but I can see I can get at it if I remove a few bits and bobs. Ill do a write up on how I replaced it once I do, give me a couple of weeks. Covid lockdown has me wanting to get the bottom of this, and I now have the time.  

My car is 2009 model BTW. 

I'm very interested to see how you get on, I have the same issue & am thinking of changing thex5th injector too. Not ready to give up on car because it's a great reliable drive

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, DubLex2009 said:

Im going to give this a go and replace my fifth injector as I reckon its leaking. Usual story with my IS220d. White smoke at warm up (lots of it). Usually on a hill near my house and when waiting at lights, just as the engine heats up - its like clockwork. Then its white smoke intermittently there afterwards, some days its bad other days not so bad. MPG low 20s on urban driving. 

Here is what I have done. 

1. EGR cleaned within an inch of its life

2. Inlet manifold off and cleaned - about a kg of black gunk came out. Long job took 2 days. Followed advice on this site - thanks Monocle!!! Drives way better now, still smokes 

3. DPF off and professionally cleaned. Still smokes 

4. MAF sensor changed. Still smoked. MAF values are high though and this is puzzling me. They are way out of spec at idle and hence why I changed the MAF. High at idle - 14 - 17 gm/s???

5. MAP sensor cleaned.  Still smokes 

6. EGR valve blanked off and mapped out. Mapper guy can reverse for me, I may do this yet. 

7. DPF sensor disconnected and tested - still smokes Tried wiggle test with techstream connected up as per Smutts advice on this site - produces no results, suspect wiring is OK. 

8. Dont think its HG, not losing coolant or gas. 

Spoke to a few people, they think its a weeping 5th injector. Its an awkward spot, but I can see I can get at it if I remove a few bits and bobs. Ill do a write up on how I replaced it once I do, give me a couple of weeks. Covid lockdown has me wanting to get the bottom of this, and I now have the time.  

My car is 2009 model BTW. 

Did u manage to fix this aa I have same issue 

For some reason you ‘DERV’ guys don’t seem to come back and give an update on your smoking problems! Either a fix or I guess you get do cheesed of with it and can’t fix it and you get rid of car, hence no follow ups!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem on Is200D 2011 (90.000 miles).  It smokes (clouds of white smoke) just before the temp guage reaches normal). Deisel consumption 45MPG on motorway and mid20s around town. Plugged in computer but no error codes. Otherwise this car has been problem free.

I have decided to change the exaust temp sensors(2) as it appears to be related to engine temperature. Bought them for £300 on line and am awaiting delivery. I will update progress.

I  previously had L dealer investigate the problem. They siad it was the oxygen sensor and changed it for £350. It made no differance. They then suggested a new DPF (my one had just been cleaned), so I too have abandoned the dealer for a solution, they can only look at the computer and do what is says! 

Lexus is not acting responsibly with this problem.  They must by now know the cause of the problem and should update their  error code system.  Clouds of white smoke coming out of otherwise pristine Lexus cars must  damage their immage. It screams "dont buy a Lexus"