Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Evening all :),

Straight to the point, I had my car serviced by an independent mechanic recently who claimed to have cleaned the egr valve and checked my dpf as well as standard, oil change filter etc. Travelling to London I had the VSC light come on and green flag rep came out and using diagnostic equipment suggested egr valve trouble. He proceeded to spray it with some lubricant, to be honest I can not remember, the code cleared and I drove high revs all the way to London (from Manchester) getting around 35mpg.

For the past couple of weeks, driving my car locally it releases a heavy amount of exhaust fumes. To describe I would say greyish white maybe.

Also, although I do not suffer any power loss, I am experiencing some sort of delayed acceleration action, where I will put my foot down, the revs will rise, say from 2000-4000 revs and my car will hesitate a couple seconds and then speed will increase. This all coupled with a now average of 32mpg has me a little worried.

A couple of suggestions have been made, transmission oil, (this was on the american lexus forum) so I am not sure of it being relavent to the diesel, the head gasket but I am not sure how to check this, or clutch.

Anyone experienced the same on their car or any suggestions would be most helpful, I intend on running my car for a few more years yet.

Cheers all :)

Here is our story....

Our 220d displayed similar characteristics last year and to that point fuel consumption was awful and acceleration particularly from standstill was awful, actually dangerous. I was all set to get rid when as a last hurrah I brought it back to my mechanic friend (from whom I had bought it). He had heard me moaning about it for a while but thought it was just me bemoaning the fact it wasn't a 3 litre Legacy, then he drove it and was shocked. He rang a contact in Toyota who suggested EGR valve. This I dismantled and cleaned myself, and I do mean dismantled as you cannot clean it properly if you don't, as gunk is stuck on the spindle and shaft. That and a couple of tanks of diesel treated with DPF cleaner has the car now running as it should. 45mpg easily attainable now on a run.

I'd suggest the EGR valve also ... I had similar on my old Avensis ... after I stripped it and emptied a can of carb cleaner, it was like a new car.. much more lively, much more efficient.

on the avensis (older generation engine than IS220), it was an easy change..I haven;t looked at this newer engine in anger yet....

Evening fellas, thanks for the replies. So you're suggesting the egr valve needs taking out and cleaning. I have seen a youtube video showing this so that is not a problem, just hope the weather sorts itself because I do not fancy standing under my bonnet in hail and strong winds.

I will recheck the egr valve, I should really blast it down the motorway more often than I am able to.

I will get my mechanic to check the dpf and if hes not too busy, the clutch too.

Cheers, if I can find the solution I owe you all a drink :D

• 3 months later...

Good evening, Just a thread update for anyone that has been experiencing the same problem as me. Apologies for the late check-in, I have been away wasting my time :D.

I dropped my car off for a few days with my mechanic, who took apart the egr valve and cleaned it, replacing air and fuel filter for good measure. He then gave me a bottle of fuel additive that is supposed to help regenerate the dpf. He recommended shell v-power half a tank, and a blast up the motorway for about an hour and then see what the situation is.

I rang RRG Lexus cough Stockport cough, who said the problem could be anything, with no warning lights on the dash board its a case of replace everything it could be. injectors, turbo, dpf regeneration, egr valve etc.

So my next step is to use the fuel additive, see if this makes a difference. If not maybe look to dpf removal, possible new injectors and eventually a turbo if none of the above help.

I am hoping its a case like postman. :)