Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow And The Nx

Yes. I've got the AWD 300H F-Sport and it handles quite well in snow (approx 4cms) and ice. Nowhere near as sure footed as the wife's Grand Cherokee, but much better than I expected.

That's very encouraging to hear Lee. What were you driving before and able to compare too (apart from the Jeep)?

I'm torn between the practical advantages of the NX against the more streamlined/aggressive looks of the IS.

Hi David. The last couple of cars I owned were both BMW,s - an X5, and a 6 series Gran Coupe. The X5 was great in all weather conditions, but the design did nothing for me. The Gran Coupe was very poor on wet roads, let alone snow and ice. I did have an ISF a couple of years ago, and that was undriveable on anything but bone dry roads. I really like the latest IS, but I've finally got to that stage in life where sitting down low in a car has become less appealing. The NX F Sport is ideal for me because it is practical, cheap to run and maintain, and looks a lot more aggressive than most 4WD or AWD SUVs. I would have liked the options of head up display, panaoramic cameras etc, but felt the NX Premier model looked far too bland in comparison. I think the NX is going to hold it's value better than the IS, but as deliveries start to take off, it could soon become the next "Evoque".

Interesting, thanks Lee. I think if the NX had been out when I got my IS I'd probably have got it. I agree with you about the Premier v F Sport too. Better looks but a couple of missing toys.

I've a bit of time to think it over but patience was never one of my virtues!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Might be worth waiting David. I mentioned to my dealer that I thought Lexus had really made a major marketing error by not offering the equipment on the Premier as options on the F Sport, and they said that many others had made the same comment, and won't commit to buy for that reason. The general feeling was that these options will probably get offered to UK customers in a few months time, once the back orders for the car have been cleared. The Lexus HUD does look very nice indeed, but not sure on the panoramic cameras. They look great in the advertising material, but don't always turn out to be that useful. I hardly ever used the cameras in my BMW because the view was often badly distorted, and it was very difficult to work out exactly what you were looking at. I'll reserve judgement on the Lexus system because it does look better than BMW's, but at the end of the day if you can't park a car without front, side and rear cameras then you shouldn't be allowed on the road...lol!!! I feel the same way about the rear collision alert system, which warns you if you are backing out in the path of an approaching vehicle. I'll leave that job to the wife, it's cheaper and more reliable.

Cheap and reliable, but she's more annoying than the warning "buzzer" in the car. Wish I'd gone for the ML stereo to drown out the sound of her and her mother gossiping!!

• Like 1

Might be worth waiting David. I mentioned to my dealer that I thought Lexus had really made a major marketing error by not offering the equipment on the Premier as options on the F Sport, and they said that many others had made the same comment, and won't commit to buy for that reason. The general feeling was that these options will probably get offered to UK customers in a few months time, once the back orders for the car have been cleared. The Lexus HUD does look very nice indeed, but not sure on the panoramic cameras. They look great in the advertising material, but don't always turn out to be that useful. I hardly ever used the cameras in my BMW because the view was often badly distorted, and it was very difficult to work out exactly what you were looking at. I'll reserve judgement on the Lexus system because it does look better than BMW's, but at the end of the day if you can't park a car without front, side and rear cameras then you shouldn't be allowed on the road...lol!!! I feel the same way about the rear collision alert system, which warns you if you are backing out in the path of an approaching vehicle. I'll leave that job to the wife, it's cheaper and more reliable.

I think you are right about the options, I went to the launch of the NX at Toyota HQ in Surrey and got talking to one of the senior bods there. He pretty much said the same as your dealer. I have a while to go yet but may well chop mine in early. Bet you don't show this forum to your missus!!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

:offtopic: I agree that the styling of the F is better than the Premier but i went for the Premier as i wanted ALL the toys. The one thing that i really didn't like about the F was the black interior - black seats, black floor and even black roof lining. Just too much.

Anyway, it sounds like it's OK in the snow. :hohoho:

Got the rose red and black leather in my F Sport, and sonic white paint. Lexus dealer has offered me a silver premier if I change my mind within 30 days, but the lure of the toys isn't as important as the overall look to me. The Premier is still a great looking car, but I just wish common sense had prevailed and it had been offered with the option of a grille that made it stand out from the entry level models. You are correct David, the missus doesn't read the forum. Far too busy talking!!

Got the rose red and black leather in my F Sport, and sonic white paint. Lexus dealer has offered me a silver premier if I change my mind within 30 days, but the lure of the toys isn't as important as the overall look to me. The Premier is still a great looking car, but I just wish common sense had prevailed and it had been offered with the option of a grille that made it stand out from the entry level models. You are correct David, the missus doesn't read the forum. Far too busy talking!!

The NX would have been a great size for me! I wanted the F-Sport 200t in Sonic White with Red leather, pan roof, Mark Levinson and HUD. Got told it can't be done so told my dealer I'd wait for the GS-F or the new RX.

It's a stupid strategy and I'm not willing to give up features that I have on my current car as I use them frequently

Got the rose red and black leather in my F Sport, and sonic white paint.

I have the red in my IS and prefer that to the split colour offered in the NX but could live with it.

We need pics Lee! Sounds like a good combo.

Attaching a few photos taken at the dealers, and will try to upload some better ones when the weather improves. Sonic white looks great (IMHO), very similar to the arctic pearl. The rose red leather is a nice subtle red, and the black inserts set it off nicely. My friend in the US is driving the NX 200 FSport, and although he was able to spec his up with the toys we can't get here on that model, he is not terribly impressed by the MPG. He told me he is only averaging 20 in the City and 25 on the highway. I'm not sure how Lexus have arrived at the pricing strategy for the NX 200 FSport over here, where it sits at slightly more than the FSport 300 Hybrid. There is normally a pretty big price difference between petrol/petrol turbo models and hybrids, so maybe the 200 FSport will come with more kit, although looking at the equipment spec on the Lexus UK website it seems exactly the same as the hybrid. A couple of reviews have put the hybrid at 7.8 to 60, with the 200 at between 7 and 7.2. To be honest I would find it difficult to justify the increased fuel consumption and higher tax/insurance of the 200 if the difference in low down performance is only marginal.

post-37869-0-23342000-1422695312_thumb.jpost-37869-0-85985500-1422695324_thumb.jpost-37869-0-44171600-1422695349_thumb.jpost-37869-0-10515300-1422695367_thumb.jpost-37869-0-88619500-1422695378_thumb.j

Attaching a few photos taken at the dealers, and will try to upload some better ones when the weather improves. Sonic white looks great (IMHO), very similar to the arctic pearl. The rose red leather is a nice subtle red, and the black inserts set it off nicely. My friend in the US is driving the NX 200 FSport, and although he was able to spec his up with the toys we can't get here on that model, he is not terribly impressed by the MPG. He told me he is only averaging 20 in the City and 25 on the highway. I'm not sure how Lexus have arrived at the pricing strategy for the NX 200 FSport over here, where it sits at slightly more than the FSport 300 Hybrid. There is normally a pretty big price difference between petrol/petrol turbo models and hybrids, so maybe the 200 FSport will come with more kit, although looking at the equipment spec on the Lexus UK website it seems exactly the same as the hybrid. A couple of reviews have put the hybrid at 7.8 to 60, with the 200 at between 7 and 7.2. To be honest I would find it difficult to justify the increased fuel consumption and higher tax/insurance of the 200 if the difference in low down performance is only marginal.

attachicon.gifIMG_1033.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1034.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1035.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1037.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1039.JPG

Looks great, exact colour combo I would have gone for if the car had enough kit. That MPG sounds about right - its important to understand that US MPG is less than UK MPG. Therefore, it'd be 24mpg city and 30mpg motorway which sounds right, especially since US is way colder at this time of year!

The NX300h is nowhere near 7.8s, that'd be faster than an IS300h and equivalent to an RX450h?!

If you drive like a normal person - you'll be getting about 35-40mpg in the NX I reckon.

Thanks Rayaan, I do have the option to upgrade to the Premier within 30 days, but the one they have is in silver. That isn't my favorite colour, and coupled with that grille it is unlikely I will decide to switch. Besides that I would have to pay an extra £4500, and I don't think the toys I would find useful are really worth that. But, it would have been nice if Lexus had given us the option to up the spec. I think the 0-60 time in the hybrid depends on having a full Battery. Anything less and the time drops to as long as 10 seconds. Best times seem to be achieved in normal drive mode with traction off. but I am only going on what is stated in you tube reviews. A few reviews give the 0-60 tiime in the RX450H as sub 7 seconds.

I have the F-Sport with the interior all black and I love it - it gives a different edge over nowadays standard grey top / black bottom (I would never consider a light upholstery - I would worry too much about staining it).

Glad the first reports of snow handling are good - also bearing in mind the factory fitted tyres are nothing special.

I am still waiting to test mine - here in SE London we have not have much snow to speak of yet - that may change tonight!

Thanks Rayaan, I do have the option to upgrade to the Premier within 30 days, but the one they have is in silver. That isn't my favorite colour, and coupled with that grille it is unlikely I will decide to switch. Besides that I would have to pay an extra £4500, and I don't think the toys I would find useful are really worth that. But, it would have been nice if Lexus had given us the option to up the spec. I think the 0-60 time in the hybrid depends on having a full battery. Anything less and the time drops to as long as 10 seconds. Best times seem to be achieved in normal drive mode with traction off. but I am only going on what is stated in you tube reviews. A few reviews give the 0-60 tiime in the RX450H as sub 7 seconds.

The extra £4500 is not worth it to be honest - stick with the F-sport - looks better than the Premier anyways!

Right, so we had some snow this morning in SE London/Kent - admitedly not much (may be about 1-2 inches). But ground was very cold ( it was -3.5 before it started snowing) so snow did not melt when car went over it - but formed a nice slippery layer of packed snow.

So far very pleased, takled two ungritted slopes (on one of them intentionally stopping in the middle and then get going again) and the traction control light did not blink once and had no trouble getting moving - much better than my previous front wheel drive Accord automatic which in same situation would have had traction control on an off in the same kind of situation.

Braking was another matter - still ABS getting on, and taking its fair amount of time to come to standstill - I guess the only real way to improve that is winter tyres.

Overall very pleased - it is my first 4x4, so I cannot compare with other 4x4s.

Right, so we had some snow this morning in SE London/Kent - admitedly not much (may be about 1-2 inches). But ground was very cold ( it was -3.5 before it started snowing) so snow did not melt when car went over it - but formed a nice slippery layer of packed snow.

So far very pleased, takled two ungritted slopes (on one of them intentionally stopping in the middle and then get going again) and the traction control light did not blink once and had no trouble getting moving - much better than my previous front wheel drive Accord automatic which in same situation would have had traction control on an off in the same kind of situation.

Braking was another matter - still ABS getting on, and taking its fair amount of time to come to standstill - I guess the only real way to improve that is winter tyres.

Overall very pleased - it is my first 4x4, so I cannot compare with other 4x4s.

That's encouraging, thanks for the update.

• 4 weeks later...