Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nx Owners Handbook And Sat Nav Handbook

I am disappointed that Lexus have decided not to provide proper handbooks to owners of the NX. The abbreviated handbook that is provided misses out loads of important information, and the on-line link to the full handbooks is not much use for those who might like to sit in their vehicles with the books and work through the various functions. Another thing, if Lexus want to save the planet (although I think it has more to do with penny pinching cost cutting), the least they could do is create a function in the index section of the on-line handbooks, that when clicked on, takes you directly to the page you want. Scrolling through 1120 pages with a mouse or an ipad is proving to be a real pain. Aside from that, what a fantastic car. Handles pretty well in the snow too!.... UPDATE...I complained to Lexus about the absence of hard copy manuals, and the non user friendly on-line versions. They have ordered me the full manuals for the car and Premium Navigation free of charge through the parts department of my Lexus dealer, This shows that they are available if you want them, but you have to pay. Lexus claim that they have moved to on-line manuals to reduce their use of paper.....really?? You get a proper manual with cars costing a great deal less than a Lexus, so I really don't think it's too much to ask for one (even if printed on cheap recycled paper) in a car costing more than £40k. As far as I am aware customers in North America still get them provided, but then Lexus don't want to upset their best customers. Apparently all the manuals are on back order at the moment, so maybe Lexus are getting calls from lots of other owners who are not happy.

It did not occur to me to ask for a printed version, well done. What I did is download the online manual (PDF) to my phone and I have it at hand every time I want it.

The piece that I do not like is that all the documentation on sat nav seems to refer to the "premium" satnav, I have not found the online version of the "standard" satnav yet.

Dom, to be honest, apart from the upgraded stereo, touch pad and extra USB port, I'm not sure what the difference is between Nav and Premium Nav. Just a guess here, but if there is no manual for standard nav, then perhaps the instructions are the same as for the premium??

Dom, to be honest, apart from the upgraded stereo, touch pad and extra USB port, I'm not sure what the difference is between Nav and Premium Nav. Just a guess here, but if there is no manual for standard nav, then perhaps the instructions are the same as for the premium??

I'm not sure if it's the only difference but the premium Nav gives access to the Lexus portal, or "connected" services feature. It enables things like street view for your destination and the ability to send your destination to the car from your computer and it downloads as a memory. I've actually found that quite useful, it doesnt save you any time in the context of your life, :) as you've still got to key the destination, but it does mean you can jump in your car press a button and go.

True David, it's probably the case (as with most manufacturers) that Lexus have printed one sat nav manual, and that it covers all systems in the NX, including features that are exclusive to the Premium Navigation.

Oh come on! Who really reads the manual? Surely, i'm not the only one that nods off after page 5 thinking, I don't understand a word of that.

But well done Lee for getting a free upgrade out of Lexus. Looks like we all need to move to Essex as they are as tight as the proverbial up here.

Same here Malcolm, I never read through them cover to cover, and certainly wouldn't dream of starting with the 1120 pages in the owners and sat nav manuals for the NX. It's just handy to sit in the car and flick to pages where you need a bit of clarification on a specific item. Mind you, even with a book version it sometimes isn't easy to find what you are looking for. Lexus handbooks tend to refer to many items by names not familiar to us in the UK. Too many Americanisms and pseudu-Jap terms...oh, and pages of superfluous waffle that only serve to confuse. I actually got the books by calling Lexus Customer Services, who then instructed the parts dept at the dealer to order and post them on to me. The dealer had no intention of offering them to me for free. I noticed a few customers on the US site complaining about how the NX owners manuals covered every option in every model, and saying that Lexus really should print individual manuals for each trim level. I think they are fortunate to still be getting manuals, and suspect that Lexus know that their American customers wouldn't stand for it. I think they get a better deal all round - lower prices, longer warranty period, more spec options etc.

I'm not sure if it's the only difference but the premium Nav gives access to the Lexus portal, or "connected" services feature. It enables things like street view for your destination and the ability to send your destination to the car from your computer and it downloads as a memory. I've actually found that quite useful, it doesnt save you any time in the context of your life, :) as you've still got to key the destination, but it does mean you can jump in your car press a button and go.

Apart from that only the premium gives you the compass on the center-dash multi information display. The icons are completely different from one to the other. There is one thing about the standard that I particularly do not like and it is that if feels sluggish when navgating it (like an underpowered computer/smartphone - that sor of sluggish. When I did the test drive, the test unit had the premium one and I do not remember noticing any sluggishnes... although did not play much with it to be fair.