Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Vsc, Engine Light And Traction Control Light Illuminated

Hi folks, new to the forum but on my second Lexus GS300. I never joined before as the old car was:

1. Already modified to my taste and standard, and

2. Running absolutely perfectly

So I have just bought a 57 reg GS300 and changed the alloys over today from my old model, took it for a wash then took it for a sprint up the A55!

Accelerating hardish..all 3 of the above warning lights came up on the dash. I initially thought I had upset the stability control system due to changing the alloys over to 19inch ones I had on my older (55) model. Then I noticed it was very cold (1 degree C) so thought it could be the cold and risk of skidding kicking in the VSC. Reading on the other forums, this appears to be a common problem though and not anything to do with the above (except for the hardish acceleration)

My nearest dealer is in Chester and no doubt the prices are extortionate! Any suggestions first? I can get a local diagnostic I am sure. Forums suggest oxygen sensors is the most common cause of the dreaded triplet!

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I take it was a private sale so no warranty?

Any decent local independent garage should be able to pull the codes for you, then post up the results and we'll try and help.

Hi, no it wasnt a private sale but from a 'purveyor of used luxury cars'......basically it was Braunstone Motors in Leicester, I called them today and they informed me the warranty covered engine and gearbox only! I'll deal with them in time as the discs and pads need looking at already and I have only done a couple of hundred miles. I'll get my local to give it a going over and send a report/invoice over to the dealer.

Interestingly my old lexus was replaced/totalled due to a front end shunt with a van and since the insurers have not actually paid me yet I still have the car on my drive. Thinking of swiping a few of the O2 sensors or any other bits I may need. Does anyone know if they are the same on the 55 reg as the 57 model?

I'll book it in for a diagnostic and see what they say, I'll post on here.

Got to love these forums! Never had this 20 years ago when I was razzing about in my Nissan 200SX and wifeys Toyota Supra!

Hi SiWall

Haha, I think we may have found a common cause of this problem, as mine too went (same 3 warning lights) on the A55, and my local dealer is Chester as well.
See:-

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/96966-yet-another-brake-booster-failure-help-required/

I tried a couple of autoelectricians, neither of whom could get the codes from the car. So I used the main dealer who charged me £80 for the scan. Your car is newer than mine, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting it scanned.

I'm having the new (scrapyard job) ABS pump fitted in the next few days, so it's squeaky bum time for me.

Good luck with yours.

Hello Marok, yes tried a couple of national chains today in Bangor and Llangefni but neither had the correct connectors/cables so couldnt read the codes properly. One did manage a botched connection and cleared the code before he read it! Doooh, although he was good enough to remember that it stated 'slight misfire on cylinder 5'... but was unsure if this was an old code stored in the system.

I hard accelerated once the codes were cleared (and once I was on the slip road) and the same 3 lights temporarily came back on but cleared again minutes later?????????

So they appear to be tripping when under hard acceleration. Although without the codes I know you are all in the dark and it is purely supposition. I read that you can buy the cables and software very cheaply and plug in your own laptop. Is this true?

I had this exact problem on my 06 GS430 shortly after I got it about a year ago. Googled the issue and found one potential cause was incorrectly seated fuel filler cap. It recommended a firm hand and at least six clicks when tightening. Perhaps it was coincidence but it worked. Had one repeat since and same procedure cured it again. Doesn't cost any time or money to try...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links