Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Am I Being Too Pernickety About Dash Rubbing In Gs

I know its is cold weather at the moment but I have a continual rubbing type noise that seems to come from the dash where it meets the windscreen. It's a little like when you get creaking leather seats and it occurs over rough road surfaces and bumps.

Is thus normal in the GS model hence my comments or should it be rubbing and rattle free.

I know my IS does not suffer from this despite the cold weather.

I love the GS in every other aspect but find thus very annoying.

Is this a GS inherent problem and I just gave to live with it?

Does your GS also produce a lot of creaking and rubbing this cold weather time of year and if so does it disappear once the climate warms up?

Comments wrk one as I need to know it either needs fixing or I just gave to live with it.

Oh, my GS is a 2007 gs450h.

Cheers Carl

Just a long shot.

Sometimes folk leave bits and bobs on the dash top and they can slide down the gap between dash and window. Try and look, from outside down at the gap with your head parallel to the windscreen.

I only mention it as I found a plastic trolley coin wedged down mine. Could only just be seen from outside. Bugger to get out though. Did it in the end with a wire coat hanger cut to suit.

Just a long shot.

Sometimes folk leave bits and bobs on the dash top and they can slide down the gap between dash and window. Try and look, from outside down at the gap with your head parallel to the windscreen.

I only mention it as I found a plastic trolley coin wedged down mine. Could only just be seen from outside. Bugger to get out though. Did it in the end with a wire coat hanger cut to suit.

The dash was out last week at Lexus and put back in again so if something was lodged it would have been moved I imagine.

It's going back in again next week for a second attempt.

Had to go through the same with the is when I first had it and that was cured eventually.

Hopefully they will get there eventually.

Other than that, love the car now.

Hello ! It is a commom problem on GS. The easiest way to fix that is to buy a piece of fabric felt on eBay, fold it a few times and push between dashboard and windscreen. I have resolved my rattle in this way. The reason why it happens is that the dashboard fitting clips gets loose with time and the dashboard is moving a bit in the area where it meets a windscreen. By pushing a felt in this gap between you will stiffen the connection between dashboard and windscreen. There is a lot in this subject in USA forums

Hello ! It is a commom problem on GS. The easiest way to fix that is to buy a piece of fabric felt on eBay, fold it a few times and push between dashboard and windscreen. I have resolved my rattle in this way. The reason why it happens is that the dashboard fitting clips gets loose with time and the dashboard is moving a bit in the area where it meets a windscreen. By pushing a felt in this gap between you will stiffen the connection between dashboard and windscreen. There is a lot in this subject in USA forums

Hello ! It is a commom problem on GS. The easiest way to fix that is to buy a piece of fabric felt on ebay, fold it a few times and push between dashboard and windscreen. I have resolved my rattle in this way. The reason why it happens is that the dashboard fitting clips gets loose with time and the dashboard is moving a bit in the area where it meets a windscreen. By pushing a felt in this gap between you will stiffen the connection between dashboard and windscreen. There is a lot in this subject in USA forums

Apparently when the removed the dash they added felt to the existing clips but clearly this did t work. Maybe they just didn't add enough.

I'll have to have a search through the USA forums to see how they have applied the felt.

Carl

The piece of felt they put for you is probably as thin as piece of paper so it will not help with this problem. The way I told you before I did on my GS300 and it made a huge difference. I am fighting with all rattles on my car because it is the only annoying thing about this car. Anyway, I folded the felt to thicknes of around 0,5 - 1,5 inch depending on the side of dashboard. The biggest gap between windscreen and dashboard on my Lex was on the passenger side and it was getting lower towards me (driver side). I will try to take some pictures tomorrow (if I dont forget). It is very hard to see in the car and you can't see it while you drive. I have some felt remaining so I will take a picture and show you how I did this.

The piece of felt they put for you is probably as thin as piece of paper so it will not help with this problem. The way I told you before I did on my GS300 and it made a huge difference. I am fighting with all rattles on my car because it is the only annoying thing about this car. Anyway, I folded the felt to thicknes of around 0,5 - 1,5 inch depending on the side of dashboard. The biggest gap between windscreen and dashboard on my Lex was on the passenger side and it was getting lower towards me (driver side). I will try to take some pictures tomorrow (if I dont forget). It is very hard to see in the car and you can't see it while you drive. I have some felt remaining so I will take a picture and show you how I did this.

That would be most helpful if you could.

Carl

Hi I did not take pictures of inside the car because you would not see anything but I took photos of felt I used and a way I did it. Thickness as I said before depends on your car's dashboard free play in specified areas. Generally it should be applied there where are clips fitted. Here is a drawing of that

post-51221-0-25568000-1423162072_thumb.p

I applied along the whole dashboard anyway.

Here you can see a felt folded and prepared to application

post-51221-0-90327400-1423162198_thumb.j

post-51221-0-34708600-1423162212_thumb.j

post-51221-0-13740900-1423162226_thumb.j

post-51221-0-88440100-1423162238_thumb.j

post-51221-0-30205100-1423162251_thumb.j

post-51221-0-15199400-1423162265_thumb.j

post-51221-0-80451400-1423162277_thumb.j

On the passenger side was the biggest gap and I had to apply even thicker piece than this one:

post-51221-0-68835200-1423162290_thumb.j

It needs to be thicker than the gap between dashboard and windscreen to expand and stiffen it. When you push it in you will see how dashboard stops to move. It is a bit annoying job because when you have a prepared piece of felt than you see it is too thin or to thick and you have to rework it etc.. but when you finally do it properly you will HEAR a difference and driving become more enjoyable.

Hi I did not take pictures of inside the car because you would not see anything but I took photos of felt I used and a way I did it. Thickness as I said before depends on your car's dashboard free play in specified areas. Generally it should be applied there where are clips fitted. Here is a drawing of thatattachicon.gifb111911e01.pngI applied along the whole dashboard anyway.Here you can see a felt folded and prepared to applicationattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.20.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.37.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.41.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.28.02.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.31.17.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.31.58.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.32.52.jpgOn the passenger side was the biggest gap and I had to apply even thicker piece than this one:attachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.34.03.jpgIt needs to be thicker than the gap between dashboard and windscreen to expand and stiffen it. When you push it in you will see how dashboard stops to move. It is a bit annoying job because when you have a prepared piece of felt than you see it is too thin or to thick and you have to rework it etc.. but when you finally do it properly you will HEAR a difference and driving become more enjoyable.

Gosh, those bundles look much thicker than I expected. I imagine the gap is quite tight to push that in. Did you use a screw driver to push it down the back. Did this cause the dash to mis shape or end given its thickness.

Did you also use one of these cushions near every clip to cure your rattles?

Carl

Hi I did not take pictures of inside the car because you would not see anything but I took photos of felt I used and a way I did it. Thickness as I said before depends on your car's dashboard free play in specified areas. Generally it should be applied there where are clips fitted. Here is a drawing of thatattachicon.gifb111911e01.pngI applied along the whole dashboard anyway.Here you can see a felt folded and prepared to applicationattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.20.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.37.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.27.41.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.28.02.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.31.17.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.31.58.jpgattachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.32.52.jpgOn the passenger side was the biggest gap and I had to apply even thicker piece than this one:attachicon.gif2015-02-05 18.34.03.jpgIt needs to be thicker than the gap between dashboard and windscreen to expand and stiffen it. When you push it in you will see how dashboard stops to move. It is a bit annoying job because when you have a prepared piece of felt than you see it is too thin or to thick and you have to rework it etc.. but when you finally do it properly you will HEAR a difference and driving become more enjoyable.

Gosh, those bundles look much thicker than I expected. I imagine the gap is quite tight to push that in. Did you use a screw driver to push it down the back. Did this cause the dash to mis shape or bend given its thickness.

Did you soldo use one of these cushions near every clip to cure your rattles?

Carl

Yeaah it might be very thick. Yes mate you have to push it in quite firmly but you will feel whether it is too thick or not while you do it. I used a plastic trim remover for door panels etc, but you can use a screwdriver buy you have to tape it to do not scratch dashboard and windshield. It has not mis shaped or bend anything, the only thing I saw it was the dashboard going slightly down when I was pushing it in but it had to happen to stiffen the clips' connections and now is not moving anymore. I made a longer bundles and pushed them in along the whole dashboard not only where clips are, just in case :) This black stuff is Anti Squeak Tape you can easily get it on eBay and it does a great job on silencing any rattles, I done a lot of issues using it around my Lex

• 6 months later...

I was thinking about buying a GS 450, instead of a Mondeo fo the added refinement. Not so sure now if owners have to resort to this to make the car quiet. Not great for a premium brand.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ! It is a commom problem on GS. The easiest way to fix that is to buy a piece of fabric felt on ebay, fold it a few times and push between dashboard and windscreen. I have resolved my rattle in this way. The reason why it happens is that the dashboard fitting clips gets loose with time and the dashboard is moving a bit in the area where it meets a windscreen. By pushing a felt in this gap between you will stiffen the connection between dashboard and windscreen. There is a lot in this subject in USA forums

Will this method work on the RX 450H?

I must add that my rear Shelf creaked and could not resolve it but i found out it was not the shelf but the Headliner i found this out on the US site

The poster said it was the headlining rubbing on some location pegs( i must say ive not took it down to look) and he sprayed Silicone spray on both sides with a small tube on the nozzle

I did this myself and i have not had one sound from the rear since and that was at the begining of the year

HTH

Robert

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links