Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Receiving/sending Sms/email Messages

Hi all,

Newbie here,

I picked up my IS300h before Christmas. She's a Luxury Sonic Titanium beauty with heated/vented leater seats and premium sat nav. I'm tech savvy and can work my way around most systems and user interfaces, but the Lexus one is a challenge!

I've been trying to get the messaging system (reading sms/email) to work, but haven't managed it yet. Has anyone had any luck

with this? If so I would love to hear from you! I have a Sony Xperia Z2.

Thanks

Hey,

I too have the Xperia Z2.

You may need to check what version of software is installed in the car. I have version 'F' and texts are available on screen, where you can select to play. Emails do not seem to work, not sure why.

There is a thread somewhere reporting issues with the software, and where it can be obtained from. A very nice chap called Pieter (pieterj) from the Netherlands provided me with the 'F' version of the software. Installing via USB was straight forward.

Hope this helps,

Lee.

Do you have it setup with your iPhone? Is there anything in the phones bluetooth/wifi settings that you need on in order for the car to use the messaging system?

In Bluetooth settings on the phone make sure the show notifications is enabled. SMS are displayed a n screen and read out. With some phones there is the option to reply via screen. Iphone doesn't support this and neither will e mails be displayed.

It's something to do with the Bluetooth functionality apple allow. If you search in here there have been a couple of threads on it.

I'm on version D and won't be updating. As far as I can tell the only unresolved issue I have is the favourites in the phone book drop. I think if I disabled auto contact transfer that would stop it happening but I'm not concerned.

The whole infotainment system is the weakest point of the car IMO.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• 1 month later...

I am on version D and found at first that my Iphone 6 worked well with SMS'es. Pity that nobody uses SMS anymore these days. After checking the Lexus site on Bluetooth compatibility I found that one of the few phones that should work are Blackberry 10 phones. I happen to have a Blackberry passport as well and yes it works. kindof.

I am pretty sure it works well from the Blackberry side (btw it is a great phone with incredibly stable software), but the car is struggling. the software (version D) is flaky and buggy on this. The email browse window starts with a strange error that messages can't be loaded, but then the latest emails are populated. the user interface buttons don't really work and the only option you have is to exit the screen. when an email arrives it is not shown and not read out like SMS'es.

Really, Lexus should have thought so much better about this feature. 90% of the phones are not supported and when you find a supported phone it shows that the implementation is really bad. not like premium brand should be. btw the D version of the firmware is still the official latest and is over a year old.

Not sure it is all Lexus fault this, as the phone manufacturers have a few different methods of integrating sms and email in their phones (not to mention apps) and the various versions of the Bluetooth spec and how they work with the phones also cant make it easy to build 1 interface that rules them all!

Version F is the current firmware version, but is dealer only. Version D is the last one available on the portal website. F has fixed some of the phone bugs, mine is far more stable generally on F.

Yes. you might be right, but by implementing a feature like this you set expectations, expectations that are not going to be met.

so either you create a feature that works for the majority of the people, or you don't waste your time on it because only a few can use the feature. i think lexus would have been better of with the latter, now it only causes frustration really.

Yes. you might be right, but by implementing a feature like this you set expectations, expectations that are not going to be met.

so either you create a feature that works for the majority of the people, or you don't waste your time on it because only a few can use the feature. i think lexus would have been better of with the latter, now it only causes frustration really.

I tend to agree with you. My Iphone displays & reads texts very well. A bit frustrating not to be able to reply. Then I read on here with some phones the Bluetooth compatibility enables you to press the reply button on the nav screen (I don't have a reply button) and you can speak a reply.

Emails don't come through at all.

In the iPhones case I believe it's due to the MAPS technology only being partially enabled by apple who have their own reasons for not facilitating full integration.

My level of frustration varies depending on the urgency of the text!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

If it is plugged in on charge you can set it to activate when you say "Okay Siri" although I haven't tried this in a car it might struggle as it will use the phone's microphone. Other than that just press and hold the home button - depends where your phone is but you shouldn't have to 'handle' it although technically it still wouldn't be legal! Once on it links to the Bluetooth microphone in the car. I could send basic tasks just fine in the CT although it wasn't always accurate!!

a siri integration would be nice, such as Mercedes in doing. I think it is pretty obvious that this is one of Lexus' weaknesses, the entertainment system is a decade behind the competition. But in all fairness, the sound quality is amazing. My car-phone combination works for the most important things (calls), and given that software releases are still being released, i have good hope that the features that are implemented will work better in time.

• 4 weeks later...

For what its worth, my experiences with Android phones and compatibility with Lexus Premium Nav system are

1. Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) stock Android, latest updates (v4.3 JellyBean) - works ok, phonebook, call history, SMS all work, email doesn't. Traffic data works but isn't stable over either Bluetooth or WiFi Hotspot, car keeps disconnecting with phone on both and reconnecting. Bluetooth audio works too.

2. Motorola Moto G (4G series 1) - stock Android, latest updates (v4.4.2 KitKat) - works OK, phonebook, call history transfer, but often get Can't Transfer message (i think this is phone related, as a reboot often fixes it). SMS doesn't work, despite Lexus site saying it should, tries to connect and fails, nothing I could find could make it work. Email doesn't work either. Traffic data is stable over WiFi hotspot. Bluetooth audio works too.

3. HTC One (M7), stock Android on latest v5.0.1 Lollipop - works OK, phonebook, call history transfer, SMS works, email doesn't. Traffic data stable on WiFi hotspot. Bluetooth audio should work, not tried it yet.

On Android, there isn't anything to change in the Bluetooth settings to enable SMS, it either will work or not. Sometimes you need to pair the phone, allow it to connect, then turn car off and oon again, then try to connect SMS in the messages setting. I have found setting the audio device to connect from Phone and not from the car, improves stability of the overall connection. You can find this in the device info setting in Bluetooth settings in the car.

• 9 months later...

Hello guys.   Really annoying problem I have.

my Sony Xperia z2 used to read out sms text messages and my Xperia z3 doesn't.  The config is set up ok, but no joy.

any obvious solutions, or do I need to check/update the car software ? Not sure what I am currently running. Is it easy to check please?

i have an S3 just paired the phone to the cars system and everything works

txt's are read out and you can reply using the list of basic replies on the screen

to be honest i didnt know it could read your txt's to you until one day the phone system spoke to me

so i haven't done anything special to set it up.