Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electric Aerial (Aka Power Antenna )

Matilda

The recent cold weather killed my electric aerial. Following various strings on the net I have managed to extract the old aerial and have sourced a new one. Interesting instructions are at:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/snd27613/2008-09-20_111457_sc_antenna.pdf

What you have to do is, with the key in the ignition switch "LOCK" position, press the "AM"and "DISC"buttons on the radio simultaneously with turning the ignition switch to "ACC." Then the radio"LCD"display will read "ANT"and the antenna mast will hyper-extend, disengaging the cable. With the ignition switch still in "ACC," the new cable is inserted to a full stop into the motor antenna assembly through the mast pipe hole in the body panel, with the teeth on the antenna cable toward the rear of the vehicle. Then, as the person in the driver's seat switches the key to "LOCK," feed the cable and mast pipe in. After it retracts completely, replace the retaining nut.

and the replacement came with similar instructions.

However I now have the dilema that the nylon tooothed cord has broken off in the motor.

How difficult is it to get at the motor? Anyone know?

The radio seems to work quite well without it.

Could I just disconnect and leave it?

How easy/ difficult would it be to replace with a stubby aerial?

I am hoping that the motor will "spit out" the remaining cord but it does not seem to want to move at the moment.

Any thoughts?

Dave

I absolutely hate the aerial so I disconnected it like you, if I ever want it back in will have to buy a new one as I damaged the old one,however it works fine without it,but fixing my boot lid I found the motor when I stripped the boot linning, it's easier than it looks,if you get stuck put a note on hear and I can help on this one.john

• 2 years later...

Other option is use a large flat blade screwdriver in one of the notches and use a hammer to tap it round (like a drift). Once it has cracked off the first fraction, the mole grips should work.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC