Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Automatic Parking Brake

I've moved house and my new place has a rather very steep driveway. Seems like in order to get the parking brake to actually hold the car i have to press the pedal down with some pressure. If i lightly apply parking brake then it seems the actual car is being held by the P gear instead. Question is: is it safe to have the P gear holding the car on a steep drive? Also, over time the parking brake gets softer and it seems when i take car in for service they re-adjust it. I am assuming this adjustment is straight forward considering they do this without charging for it.

Adjusting the parking break is a bit of job - it's a good hour, unless you are having the rear brakes done at the same time, as you have to completely strip down the main rear breaks to get to the park brake.

There are 2 sites of adjustment, one in the brake drum, and the other at the pedal - they both should be adjusted together.

I had my brake drum adjusted, but even so, I still had to push the pedal to the floor and it wouldn't hold the car if I left it in Drive. After a bit of adjustment at the pedal, it's now great - 8 clicks, and the car is well held.