Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whats Up With Me Motor?

Zee007

OK - last 3 weeks, my car seems to be cutting out at random moments. It has happened 4 times (the last time was this morning). There is no pattern to speed/time/conditions but what happens is the engine cuts out. I pull over, all electrics still working, try to tick the car over and it stalls. Try again, it stalls. I have to disconnect the Battery and recoonnect to get it going again and then its fine. It's almost as if the imobiliser is shorting out and being activated.

Thoughts before I take it into the dealer? :unsure:

Just came accross this while on just checking a few car sites

strangest thing started happeninng to my car, it wouldnt idle correctly..it would go all the way down to 250rpm and the car would ***** and stuff... if I dun place my foot on the gas to keep it at 750+ rpm during and my other foot on brake during stop lights for example, then the engine would shut off. I got home finally just 10 mins ago, and open up the hood, guess what, the air intake pipe (its a PLP) came loose

Have you checked to see if your Induction is properly connected?

as it may have come a little loose while you've been road testing the SuperCharger :winky:

i dont think its fuel i think its ignition as if its fuel the car would peter out and not just stall, but if its spark related then it will just cut out, i think it could be the ignitor pack or coil this this can be temp related worse when its cold and damp, you need to get it checked however if the fault is ht side there is no fault code for this you will need tech info to check above items.

hope this helps.

I don't think it will be an ignitor/coil pack as the engine has 6 of these and should run on 5 cylinders if one fails.

I also don't think it's the intake, although worth checking. If the air flow meter is in the intake then yes the engine will not know how much air is going into the engine and will cause a problem. However the IS200 does not have a MAF sensor it uses a MAP sensor which is after the throttle body.

It may be a sensor fault, if a major sensor is lost the ECU will shut down the engine. The engine check light will come on and the fault code stored.

If it is fuel starvation then the engine temp will rise as it is running lean so check to see if the gauge to see if it is higher than normal.

Hi guys. Believe it or not, I have exactly.. I mean exactly the same problem. I also have a TTE compressor fitted. It started 4 weeks ago. Firstly when I stopped the engine, it wouldnt start again. it would fire then die, fire then die. Then 2 weeks ago it cut whilst driving twice. the engine just dies and coasts to a stop!

Same symptoms, it will fire and die, then it wont fire at all. After a few minutes it fires normally and off we go!! its been at Lexus for ages and they cant find anything wrong with it, but it has died while in their care a few times. No codes comes up when the ECU is tested.

I thought it was fuel, maybe pump or something, We dont think it is the piggyback ECU used, but Im open to suggestions!

Their at a loss, I'm at a loss!! Help is needed! for sure!!??

If engine still turns but doesn't start then Battery is OK :) So it's gotta be fuel or spark / timing. Easiest to check is spark, pull aplug hold it with a pair of pliers against something metal that earths & still with lead connected ..... get somebody to spin the engine, if the plug sparks it's the fuel. Likely source is pump sticking. Or what about an air-lock in the tank ........ remove filler cap & spin ....

Fuel pump relay??

Had this on a VW.

It would work intermittently. Sometimes it was fine, other times it would stall or just would'nt start.

Took me weeks to figure it out.

That would've been my guess too :unsure:

Have to agree...I had the same problem with a cavalier

Thanks for all your comments chaps - appreciate it.

Firstly, I would rule out fueling - the car runs absolutely fine when it's running, and when it cuts, the engine just dies - doesn't stutter, nothing - just cuts out.

Secondly, Dave - re: the tte piggy-back ecu, there are many of us with the old one, and i think the new one just managed the rev limiter better.

Thirdly, the sparkplug thingy. Could be this. Before JAE, when I was polishing my block, I removed all the plugs. I had an issue with re-fitting the second plug (counting from the front). Maybe a moisture issue? Colin - you say it should still run on 5 though? Your thoughts on this?

Finally - IS200MCD - I think we need to talk if you have exactly the same issue. Could you PM or email me please - I would love to discuss this further. Between us, we'll find the root cause...

Thanks again for your help fellas,

Zee. :)

Firstly, I would rule out fueling - the car runs absolutely fine when it's running, and when it cuts, the engine just dies - doesn't stutter, nothing - just cuts out.

Same as my old cavalier... I used to take the relay out and sort of tap it (hard!) :winky:

Still think it's the fuel relay zee :)

This is worrying for me, as im hoping to have the TTE SC fitted sometimes around Jan next year, hope this is not a common problem of the SC kit, as this is the first time i seen you guys mention about the problem.. ;) ;) ;)

btw I hope you get it sorted out soon Zee and IS200 MCD...

I don't know too much about cars (a true automobile muppet :P ) so i may be way out here but this sounds a bit like a problem our lass had with her corsa about 12 months ago.

She would be driving along and the engine would just cut out. Engine management light would come on, and if she put hazards on, all power also drained in about 5 mins.

The AA couldn't find anything wrong, neither could the AA service centre, who i'm sure though we were taking the p***, until it cut out on them on a busy road!

It went in to the Vauxhall dealership, who ran diagnositics, and said it was the crankshaft sensor, and replaced it. About £150 all in i think.

Dunno if its likely to be this but i thought i'd add my two penneth worth of car knowledge!

Mine is all original apart from the S/C. I haven't had a de-cat done yet.

Mine was also standard engine wise apart from s/c.

Also has later (silver box) sub-ecu which was supposed to help prevent meltdown.

Even so, pre-cat still broke up and partially blocked exhaust.

Now the bulgy bits where pre-cats were is just straight pipe - phew :D

Anyway, not sure that would cause the prob at hand.

My money's still on fuel relay or some bad connection (sub ecu perhaps ? )

There's a BIG box of straws out there - get clutching :zee: