Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Brake Caliper Sliding Pins

Ade W

Evening,

Just spent most of the day trying to free a binding nearside front brake (car has been laid up for quite a while). Eased the pistons and the top sliding pin but the lower pin remained stiff despite cleaning and greasing.

When pushing the pin in it is a very tight fit and the small rubber bush kept moving up the pin to the taper. Very often the pin would also slide back out on it's own as if something was being compressed as it was pushed in??

Taking the bush off helped the pin move more freely. If left off I assume this could lead to a rattle or knock but has anyone else had any experience of this? Any views if it would be ok to leave this bush off to allow a freer movement?

Any help would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Adrian.

Probably the wrong grease has been used and the bushing is swollen. Also using too much grease will create a seal and therefore air will be trapped when you push in the pin, leading to the pin pushing out on its own.

You should really purchase a new pin and bush, and then only use a pea sized amount of brake grease to cover the whole of the sliding pin (after completely cleaning out the hole it goes into).

I find cleaning out the hole with some solvent and a tapered piece of kitchen roll helps to remove any remaining greasy gunge then apply new grease to the pin.

The rubber bushes are I believe anti rattle devices.

If the pin is rusty or badly pitted it may be worth replacing it for less than a tenner each.

Great, thanks both for replying so quickly.

Will try to clean the hole out better now your replies have eased the frustration a bit!

If not new pin it is.

Out of interest I think I'll try it down the road to see if it rattles.

Thanks all,

I see various recommendations on the net regarding which grease to use.

I guess many will do the anti friction part but damage to the rubber bush looks to be an issue. I know WD40 used to damage o rings and some rubber parts on my Honda motorcycle.

Toyota/Lexus are very specific about what grease should be used however it seems a lot of dealers don't even follow the recommendations. It can be ordered from your dealer. Personally I use Bosch superfit brake lubricant mainly because I couldn't find the Toyota part code at the time I needed some.

It also has the correct grease for the slide pins Silicone Grease.

Lithium soap based Glycol grease is the recommended stuff to use.

My apologizes I thought that Silicone Grease was the correct grease for slide pins.

That Toyota Rubber Grease is it the same as all Red Rubber Grease? ( I have a tub of

http://goo.gl/lTfrT3

Also I have a Tube of Mintex Ceratec anti brake sequel lubricant seems to be the same as the Bosch superfit brake lubricant, i didnt realise it was suitable for slide pins only to be used for back of pads etc. Looks like i would be able to use that?

• 2 years later...