Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam

Anyone installed rear windshield camera recorder?

If so, please advise about the brand and wiring

Thanks

I fitted the Blackvue DR650 front and rear setup. The rear camera was very easy to install with only 1 video cable needed. I ran this tucked under the headlining to the pax side roof pillar, from there it was tucked in behind the trim down to the door sill and then along to the front pax footwell/door. From there it went up the front pillar and along to the front camera. The only place wires are visible is around the rear view mirror area where they come from behind the headlining and a little bit where the power cable goes into the centre console. I've not gotten round to hardwiring it yet as I'm figuring out where to pick up the feeds. I did look at the fuse box in the pax footwell, but you have to be a contortionist just to see the fuses, never mind do anything in that area. Nightmare of a job to check and replace a fuse if you're stuck somewhere.

My understanding of the 'Shaded/Dappled' area is to limit the glare of the sun where the sun visors don't reach. My camera is mounted on the passenger side of the shaded area but, I gather that you can get a special fixing now so that you can make use of this area.

Right took the plunge - Bought a B40 A118 Novatek. Installed in about 30mins. I already had power to under the steering column. Hiding the wires was easy. Nice and small.

post-49241-142800084481_thumb.jpg

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Good choice of camera I have the same one. Excellent picture quality. I chose it because it looks so similar to the way Lexus mount the mirror and the rain sensor so it looks factory fitted. My installation is shown in the beginning of this thread.

Ed.

They have definitely hit on a good form factor there. I really wanted GPS though which is a separate unit with that one isn't it? I opted for the 0805 because it was only £10 more expensive and the GPS is built into the mount.

With regards to wiring it in, I was going to grab a hardwire kit and use one of the piggy back fuse kits to run it off the accessory/lighter fuse slot. Anyone see any issues with that?

I have not connected the GPS to mine yet not convinced I need the information it embeds. The date and time however are set in the cameras menu. I pretty sure mine auto adjusted for daylight saving to.

Ed.

Thanks. I found this while googling...

Year 2014 Bug - Date and time are fine, but only year is incorrect. For cameras not connected to GPS this is not an issue. This is apparently a firmware issue. Some owners have successfully used an older firmware (May 23 2014) to resolve the issue. Check with your seller for firmware for this issue or do not use the GPS module.

I might just remove the GPS.

I question if the GPS information is required. It could even incriminate you if your were say going over the speed limit even if the accident was not your fault.

Thoughts?

Ed.

• 4 months later...

OK, I'm sold on the A118 camera, but the question is do I buy the hard wire version, or the ciggy lighter version? Little or no difference in price, and as I hate trailing wires, I'm drawn towards the hard wire one. But on a brand new lease car, do I risk the hard wire? I have used piggy back fuses to pick up the supply on several cars in the recent past, but am I brave enough this time? I'm not even sure where the fuse box is.....

Confused of Tring, aka Malcolm

OK, I'm sold on the A118 camera, but the question is do I buy the hard wire version, or the ciggy lighter version? Little or no difference in price, and as I hate trailing wires, I'm drawn towards the hard wire one. But on a brand new lease car, do I risk the hard wire? I have used piggy back fuses to pick up the supply on several cars in the recent past, but am I brave enough this time? I'm not even sure where the fuse box is.....

Confused of Tring, aka Malcolm

Malcolm, it's easy to tuck the power cable in under the front edge of the headliner and down behind the front pillar trim. If you route it to the passenger side, you can hide most of the cable inside the panel below the glove box and then round to the cig lighter. If you go for hard wiring, the fuse box is at the passenger side footwell, but you need to be a contortionist

with your head in the footwell just to be able to see the box. I don't think you can use a fuse tap as there is very little space in the fuse box cover.

I routed the cable under the head lining and down the pillar across under the steering column and tucked under the carpet along the edge of the center console. I plugged it into the socket inside the arm rest.

I to didn't fancy playing with the wires inside the fuse box, invalidating warranties etc.

The wire only shows where it enters the armrest near the seat belt stalk and is inconspicuous. The camera included a few neat self adhesive cable clips to.

Ed :flowers:

Thanks, both, I'm happy with the routing of the cable, as I've done it on previous cars, on my Merc I used the lighter socket, and on Gill's Skoda, I semi hard wired it, by hard wiring a trailing ciggy type socket, and using plug that came with the camera, hiding it all behind the fuse box. This was TBH my preference, as there are no wires visible at all.

But, while I was leaning towards the hard wired version, taking on board both comments, and as I am a somewhat overweight pensioner and my days as a contortionist are long gone, if they ever existed, I think it will be the ciggy plug option!!

Malcolm

Another result for the dash cam team, let's hope if convicted he pays for the whole of the repairs.

I read this in the paper, what a jealous idiot. I hope he is caught and has to pay for the damage, the image is clear enough for him to be known.

My dash cam switches off with the engine I cannot think of a way to make it stay on. If I had an Aston I would invest on a 360 degree system.

• Like 1

Another result for the dash cam team, let's hope if convicted he pays for the whole of the repairs.

I read this in the paper, what a jealous idiot. I hope he is caught and has to pay for the damage, the image is clear enough for him to be known.

My dash cam switches off with the engine I cannot think of a way to make it stay on. If I had an Aston I would invest on a 360 degree system.

The article says he's been arrested so hopefully they'll have enough evidence to prosecute.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

• 2 weeks later...

Another question, Ed, if you don't mind, which won't mean anything to anyone else, unless they have bought this camera.....

The camera was delivered yesterday, and first impressions are that it's going to look good! Thanks again for the initial post.

The question is, what is the piece of string and the tiny screw for? (Braces himself for the usual flurry of 'helpful' answers)

Thanks

Malcolm

The article says he's been arrested so hopefully they'll have enough evidence to prosecute.

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

He'll get out of it I bet

Well, fitting it took all of 15 minutes, although as it's raining, and the car's kept outside, I haven't yet fixed the cable up under the dash, but as soon as I can kneel outside in the dry and lean in, that'll be a five minute job.

Two comments, I was a bit wary of teasing the top of the A pillar airbag cover enough to tuck the cable in, and I used black insulating tape rather than Fablon on the screen, as the only black Fablon I could find was Permanent fix, or so it said on the blurb, and I want to be able to remove all trace when the car goes back!

Otherwise, very pleased!

Hi I was talking to a guy at work about getting one of these as he has one. He was told by his insurance that this is classed as a car modification and advised him to remove it. Any one have any thoughts? Had a look on google and all the results seem to suggest that a dash cam could reduce your insurance? which I'd thought to ask him which insurance company he was with.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links