Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dash Cam

I eventually settled on the NextBase 402g Pro http://www.nextbase.co.uk/products/iN%252dCAR-CAM™-402%252dG-Professional.html

£150 at Halfords and they hard-wired it for an extra £30 - nice neat job too.

One thing I have found is that it is affecting my own driving. I am less likely to speed, or do anything 'rush of blood' - for the moment at least :)

conscious of the cam recording my speed and gps location etc - as well as audio (my swearing isn't as bad as I thought)... all these features can be disabled of course.

Post a picture of the installation. It would be nice to see how Halfords do it.

Ed :flowers:

Halfords install. I particularly wanted the cam to sit just below the mirror as it was difficult to access control buttons or see the screen otherwise!

I was expecting a professional install not the standard suction mount!! Why do you need to see the screen? I would find that very distracting!!

What did they charge to fit it?

Once you have set it up why not move the mount higher up and then it will not be seen so much from the outside?

Ed :ooh-ducky:

The suction mount is supplied with the cam.

Halfords did do what I would call a pro-fit, i.e. Hard wired behind dashboard and cables hidden.

£30 for the fit.

The screen blanks after the first minute so there is no distraction. I chose the mount position so I could easily access the cam control buttons.

Happy with it.

I've been using one of these for the past month or so in my work van; (link just for illustration, not the seller I bought from nor the price I paid)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-HD-Car-DVR-Vehicle-Dash-cam-Camera-Video-Recorder-G-sensor-HDMI-GS8000L-UK-/191013664239?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c794d35ef

Not all singing and dancing, but gets the job done, and I'm not worried about it being on a suction cup or unsightly as it's in a work vehicle that has no interior mirror, so it's just stuck up the top of the screen and I ran the USB cable behind the headlining, down behind the A-post, and tucked it out of sight behind the dash to a 12v socket.

For my IS, I'm planning on one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-720P-HD-Small-Dash-Car-DVR-Camera-Video-Recorder-Register-Cam-G-Sensor-UK-/281602962267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4190d8335b

The idea being it's much smaller and more compact, and with no screen I hope to fit it behind the mirror, so that I can't see it at all. Plan with that is to run the cabling behind the headlining and A-post again, and tap the wiring into the cigarette lighter wiring, so it's on a switched live and turns on and off with ignition. I'll need a screen to plug it into to get the initial set up (angle, menu options, etc) but hopefully after that I won't need to view it or do anything other than leave it to do it's thing. If I need to review footage from it, it should be as simple as popping out the card, plugging it into my computer and watching the video file(s). If it's good, then I might install one in the rear screen too, but I'll need to figure out what wiring I can tap into down that end of the car, for a switched live...

For my IS, I'm planning on one of these - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4190d8335b

I had this type in my previous car as it had a in dash DVD with an av input so didnt need a screen on the camera. The only issue was it required a permanent live feed as well as a switched 12v.

What did it need a permanent live for?

I am not 100% sure but I think because it is to small to have an internal Battery or a capacitor then it has to have power to close the file when the car power is switched off. I wired it up and it worked ok. I was just a little worried about a relatively low priced item having permanent power but it was double fused and there was never a problem with it so probably being over cautious.

• Like 1

Trouble is with that, is if it has a permanent live, I can't see how it will stop recording and turn off when ignition is switched off, as it will still be receiving 12v power. My van's 12v sockets are perm live, so I have to physically pull the cig plug out before it will turn off, because even with the key removed from the ignition, it's still receiving power so it continues to record

I have a Blackvue 550GW-2ch 16GB. When I migrated from my CT in January this year, I kept the cameras' and left all the fittings in the CT. I re- ordered the latter from TTW Partners, Nottingham, (£113.96) and organised the fitting by Exec Spec, Nottingham, (£163.95). The fitting will be done in April in Hampshire.

Exec Spec enquired as to how the system worked and I replied very well, no problems, a happy bunny, the system was on 24/7. I was then informed by them, that they now wired the system to the ignition, as they had experienced Battery problems with Hybrids over the passed year. Mercs. and I think Honda were mentioned, as well as one Lexus. (from memory). I explained that I used the, 'Smart Power Device', to stop the Battery running down, but they told me that even with that fitted, they were having the same problems. A switch will be put into the line so that I can have the camera on all the time, or let it turn of when the engine is switched of.

I have noticed that many members are fitting cameras, I wonder, has any thought been given to possible Battery drain been given, or indeed, have any members had any Battery problems after fitting a camera?

Regards.

Michael.

"Exec Spec enquired as to how the system worked and I replied very
well, no problems, a happy bunny, the system was on 24/7. I was then
informed by them, that they now wired the system to the ignition, as
they had experienced Battery problems with Hybrids over the passed year.
Mercs. and I think Honda were mentioned, as well as one Lexus. (from
memory). I explained that I used the, 'Smart Power Device', to stop the
Battery running down, but they told me that even with that fitted, they
were having the same problems. A switch will be put into the line so
that I can have the camera on all the time, or let it turn of when the
engine is switched of.

I have noticed that many members are fitting cameras, I wonder, has
any thought been given to possible Battery drain been given, or indeed,
have any members had any Battery problems after fitting a camera?"

After leaving my camera in 'Parking Mode' recently I have twice experienced a flat Battery. I think that this may be my own fault as I had incorrectly set the 'Parking Mode - Low Battery Voltage Cut-Out' at the wrong setting. However, the manufacturer is currently investigating this just in case there might be another reason for it.

I have noticed that many members are fitting cameras, I wonder, have

any thought been given to possible battery drain been given, or indeed,
have any members had any battery problems after fitting a camera?

My camera switches on & off with the ignition. :eerrrmm:

this is my 0806 cam, all the wiring is hidden into the roof lining, quality very good.

20150315_141929.jpg

Looks ok and a nice neat camera. I would have if possible mounted the other side of the RVM in the shaded area so not seen from outside. Maybe not possible if it obscures the shot though. The beauty of the one I fitted is the lens rotates as required.

Ed

I can rotate this also 180 degrees, i did not put it at the other side as the sensor in located on that side of the mirror.

Looks like there is plenty of space in your picture?? Thats what the shaded area is for, mounting things like toll road sensors ect.

Ed :innocent:

can things easily stick to that area and would visibility be hindered?

You can mount things on the shaded area as long as you can get a clear shot obviously not through the shaded part!! Probably the mount along the bottom edge with the camera looking through the clear glass. My camera has a lens which rotates so the position can be adjusted as it was designed to be mounted in this area.

Try it and see is the only way to be sure.

Ed :innocent:

• 2 weeks later...

Just been given one of these by work http://uk.transcend-info.com/Products/No-498 as one of our pilot users.

The fleet insurance people want us to try them out and are offering 20% off the group policy if we install them. I've only stuck it up behind the mirror for now and loose cabled back to the arm rest 12V. Will give it a go for a couple of weeks, but it does just seem in the way?

I have just bought a mini 0805 with GPS for £68. I think this is the most discrete solution apart from the A118 which is a nice compact solution. Purely in terms of form factor the Transcend ones look quite big when you factor in a suction mount too.

All I need is a bloody car now - which has been waiting at the dealer for two weeks waiting for paperwork from work!!

Purely in terms of form factor the Transcend ones look quite big when you factor in a suction mount too.

And with a nice chrome surround it screams "Steal Me" if you are to leave it in the car. Well it's certainly easy enough to use.

I'm only using the sticker mount that came with the camera, the suction one is an extra. I will give it a go for a bit anyway, will tidy away the cable a bit better over the weekend, as the loose cable distracted me more than the camera.

The release clip is easy enough but its not something I can leave up. Will see how long until I get bored doing that :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links