Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Retaining That Smell

bluenose1940

When I get into my car, it smells, well, absolutely superb.

That lovely leather smell, it's great isn't it!

My question is, is there a way to ensure that this smell is there for many years to come or, does it fade as a matter of course and there's nothing that you can do?

Any help/guidance will, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

At over 21 years old my leather losy that smell many years ago but I purchased some "Leather Aroma" spray that you spray inside the car using one of those pump top bottles.

Doesn't seem to last very long but still impresses the occasional passenger:)

I don't know if yours has the perforated seats like the LS430 and others, but if you do, you can look forward to the blower in those heated seats blowing out a warm version of everything that's fallen down those tiny holes over the years :sick:

So enjoy it while it lasts!

I use Gliptone products. There's a leather cleaner and a leather conditioner which impregnates a smell as it conditions. I quite like the smell but not everyone does ! Got mine off eBay.

Me too...got mine off eBay too. I have a couple of those 'leather aroma trees'. Long since lost their odour...but I rub a dollop of the leather conditioner into the surface of the card and pop it on the carpet under the front seat. Works like a charm...just have to replenish every 6 weeks or so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Maybe it is my sense of spell going, but my leather doesn't smell leathery at all. I had an old A2 and the leather in that was very overpowering.

I've read around that the sealents may mask the smell, which is a bit of a trade off. As you may as well buy manmade leaterette.

David

My Leather is losing the smell , done drivers seat and armrest only. Upto now Must say very impressed and smells really nice.

As people say helps if leather is clean. To be honest dont think anyone sat in the rear of mine as its mint.

• 2 weeks later...

This sums it up quite nicely

Aniline leather is a very soft and natural type of leather, as it is only dyed and contains no pigmented surface coating. As such, it soaks in stains and dirt very easily

Doubt you have it in your car.....it would get dirty far too quickly.

Thanks for the explanation normski. Much appreciated.

Aniline is the stuff you find on classic cars with no coating on it. Itll just putll the colour straight off.

I think the IS uses coated leather but the perforations are uncoated so colour will come from inside the perforations onto the cloth - not a huge problem though.

They used to use aniline leather on very expensive sofa sets which were like £5-10k and the colour would come off if you dropped water on it!