Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Bad Is Is250 Fuel Economy?

Hi

I am looking to buy an IS250.

I will be driving mainly non-motorway miles but I live in Milton Keynes where the roads are wide and open and you dont usually have too much traffic.

I have heard and read that the IS250 is very heavy on petrol, I would have considered the diesel version but it does not come with an auto gearbox. How bad is fuel economy on the IS250?

I will also be grateful if you can advise on what to look out for in the car I am considering to purchase?

Lastly have any of you owned a BMW 3 series and IS250? If so can you adivse on how they both compare? I just love the IS250 but the only thing that appeals to me about the BMW 3 series is the fact it comes with an auto gearbox in diesel. Btw why on earth there is no auto option in the IS220d?

• Like 1

Sorry, don't know anything about BMWs, not keen on their over aggressive drivers ! :devil:

I'm surprised you consider the IS250 thirsty. I do very local mileage, 5 miles to work and weekly supermarket trip of 30 miles and average 29mpg this Winter (only had car since November). I expect the mpg to improve somewhat through the Summer months.

When I collected the car, I averaged 38mpg on a virtually all motorway run of 200 miles (70 to 75mph).

When you consider, it is a very comfortable, luxurious car with a V6 2.5 litre engine and automatic gearbox........I think the economy is more than acceptable.

• Like 1

I've had my IS250 since last July. In that time I've done 5,965 miles at an average 29.86mpg (calculated from actual petrol used, not from the car's computer). My best tank was 32.43mpg and my worst was 26.37mpg.

Most of the mileage has probably been motorway (weekly trip from Hampshire to West Midlands) with the rest around town. I've mostly used either Shell V-Power Nitro+ or Shell Regular Unleaded petrol in it, which has worked out (with petrol prices falling) at 18.83p per mile overall.

• Like 2

Can't comment on the BMW its just a make that's never interested me. For a 2.5ltr petrol the IS is very good on fuel. I can only think you have read the usual mag reviews that slate Lexus on anything they can find. They probably compared it to a 2 ltr diesel.

I think this is where I read it:

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/lexus/is-saloon/250-se-4dr/summary/67024

We’d avoid the Lexus IS250 SE because its thirsty petrol engine will cost you a fortune in fuel and tax.

Edit: Actually that is for the newest IS250. The following is what they have to say for the 2005-2013 IS250:

Verdict A fine car, but spoilt by the unsettled ride and noise

You need to go and audition the 250 auto.

The gearbox is a delight....nothing else I have been in comes close.

Road tax is 280. Be careful of the is250 manual it can have 460 road tax.

Fuel mpg average is about 29-34 on mine. Best ever close to 40mpg (bit exceptional I'll grant) and if I get a little silly it can be 25-26. But its great fun doing that. The paddles are great for a bit of fun driving. Brill for overtaking.

Lexus didn't do an auto diesel...with good reason ....they struggled with the manual box as it was. Audi auto diesels are not bad at all.

My only gripe would be the space in the back is tad limited ( no prob to us we are just 2 souls) and the boot mouth is a little bit restricted.

Every single person that's been in it likes it!! My boss dropped off his Aston Martin to be serviced this morning. So I picked him up and now he wants to borrow it this afternoon!!! Really liked what he saw/felt. Dammit.

Road noise

Lexus tended to shoe the cars with Bridgestone Turanzas, etc. Not the best for noise or tramlining in my opinion.

I now run with Goodyear. Recently put Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance on the front and it is massively better and much quieter. No tramlining at all.

Car now feels really 'planted' on the tarmac.

Road noise

Lexus tended to shoe the cars with Bridgestone Turanzas, etc. Not the best for noise or tramlining in my opinion.

I now run with Goodyear. Recently put Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance on the front and it is massively better and much quieter. No tramlining at all.

Car now feels really 'planted' on the tarmac.

Do the tyres have the rim protectors? I'm thinking of changing my from Bridgestone but it's a costly move if I get it wrong.

Back to the original question, I have now done 57,000 miles over 5 years in my IS250 and my driving is a mixture of around town and motorway driving. My highest mpg is 41 but I also get 37 every so often. My worst is 24 when I've driven around London all day. These figures are my calculated mpg on fill ups.

Hi,

Id second all the other comments here. My MPG averages around 29-30, but can get 32 If I make a bit of an effort (gentle right foot, good anticipation) and thats with very few motorway miles.Do the usual stuff, such as keep on top off correct tyre pressures etc. and these figures are fairly easy to see.

Auto box is fantastically smooth. A really brilliant bit of engineering. V6 makes a satisfying noise when revved, but its also a comfy cruiser.

I had an e90 3 series saloon (previous 05-12 model) a few years back, a 325i straight six petrol manual.

The main difference between the two in my experience is the interior material and build quality. Better on the Lexus. Ride was also harsh on the BMW due to run flat tyres being standard. The BMW has better cabin space. Im 6'2 and sit comfortably in the Lexus but the rear is cramped. Overall ownership experience I have to say goes to the Lexus. And the BM loses its special feeling quick as they are so common.

What to look out for - not an exhaustive list but the spark plugs need changing at 60k miles service and its expensive (£500-£600 at main dealer), the brake calipers are prone to seizing up. Seach this forum for lots of good info.

You dont say what age\mileage of car you looking at but BM diesels dont like big mileages. My neighbours have a 120d and 320d and both needed expensive turbo rebuilds before 80k miles. The 320d needed two come to think of it.

Overall - Personally I wouldnt have a diesel 3 series auto over the IS250 auto.

• Like 1

I travel 50 miles a day going to work and back, I travel on a variety of roads and in traffic and my tank average always sits between 31 and 32 mpg, for a V6 2.5l I think that is more than acceptable, I used to have a 520d till the turbo blew................ouch not cheap!

Its really up to you, I loved both cars but my preference is petrol

If I was doing really high mileage I would reconsider the diesel option

Horses for courses really

I owned a BMW 320 petrol , 320d & 330d..

The 320petrol was thirstier than the Lexus is250 and no comparison to the Lexus ride quality, the 320d averaged around 43mpg and the 330d around 30mpg.

My is 250 averages around 27-31mpg mainly town driving. I have a gs450h which averages around 25-30mpg also mainly town driving.

I think the is250 for a v6 is a very economic engine. You have to put things into perspective, a BMW 318 for instance will probably see you in the mid 30mpg but it's such a dull car inside and out.

I got rid of my Bmw's because I was sick of the image and also I found the interiors in particular to be very boring and lacking in creature comforts.

Everybody has Bmw's or audi's.

I genuinely feel good to drive something less common on the road and the Lexus badge holds a certain status which I feel proud to own.

• Like 4

I get 23-25 MPG on mine in Winters as I do a lot of short trips and drive on congested roads.

I also have a BMW 335i (3.0 litre) and get the same mileage from it so looking at it from that perspective, the Lexus is a bit thirsty.

The servicing is also more expensive in comparison to the BMW. The back seats are cramped, probably has the same amount of leg room as the BMW which is a coupe.

The Lexus however is still my preferred car of the two for reasons which have already been mentioned here.

High 30s to low 40s on a run, low 30s for commuting and town IME.

UK magazines and sites heavily favour their sponsors. It's a good idea to look at reviews from the US as well to get a better idea of reality. UK reviewers also seem obsessed with how well a car handles at the limit / can they drift it, but never mention how it deals with poor road conditions & potholes. Quite frankly they're embarrassing.

High 30s to low 40s on a run, low 30s for commuting and town IME.

UK magazines and sites heavily favour their sponsors. It's a good idea to look at reviews from the US as well to get a better idea of reality. UK reviewers also seem obsessed with how well a car handles at the limit / can they drift it, but never mention how it deals with poor road conditions & potholes. Quite frankly they're embarrassing.

Agreed, let's face it, most people do use there cars to get from A TO B, which sounds boring but is the reality.

That usually entails being stuck in lots of traffic and driving on potholed roads so yes, how good your car is probably depends on how it keeps you calm and relaxed in these situations. The Lexus with its smooth auto box and relaxing ride certainly covers all the really important bases.

Carl

Thanks

Hi,

Id second all the other comments here. My MPG averages around 29-30, but can get 32 If I make a bit of an effort (gentle right foot, good anticipation) and thats with very few motorway miles.Do the usual stuff, such as keep on top off correct tyre pressures etc. and these figures are fairly easy to see.

Auto box is fantastically smooth. A really brilliant bit of engineering. V6 makes a satisfying noise when revved, but its also a comfy cruiser.

I had an e90 3 series saloon (previous 05-12 model) a few years back, a 325i straight six petrol manual.

The main difference between the two in my experience is the interior material and build quality. Better on the Lexus. Ride was also harsh on the BMW due to run flat tyres being standard. The BMW has better cabin space. Im 6'2 and sit comfortably in the Lexus but the rear is cramped. Overall ownership experience I have to say goes to the Lexus. And the BM loses its special feeling quick as they are so common.

What to look out for - not an exhaustive list but the spark plugs need changing at 60k miles service and its expensive (£500-£600 at main dealer), the brake calipers are prone to seizing up. Seach this forum for lots of good info.

You dont say what age\mileage of car you looking at but BM diesels dont like big mileages. My neighbours have a 120d and 320d and both needed expensive turbo rebuilds before 80k miles. The 320d needed two come to think of it.

Thanks, that puts to rest any doubts I had, I will be going for the IS250. I am going to be doing mainly town driving so I dont think I will benefit too much by having a diesel.

I also agree with what most people have said here. To me the BMW just looks too ordinary (maybe because it is so common) and dull/dated from inside whereas the IS250 just grabs your attention straight away.

Also have to agree with the point on the favourable reviews BMW's tend to get. The main point that seems to get emphasised all the time is the handling of the BMW's when pushed to the limits. I am looking for a car to drive in my every day life not one that I will be using for rally driving. To me confort and economy are more important than how the car handles at high speeds around tight bends. The level of equipment you get with the IS250 is just miles better than what you get with a BMW 3 series. For example you will struggle to find one with electric seats whereas this comes pretty much as standard with the IS250.

Thanks you all for your help on this.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks, that puts to rest any doubts I had, I will be going for the IS250. I am going to be doing mainly town driving so I dont think I will benefit too much by having a diesel.

I also agree with what most people have said here. To me the BMW just looks too ordinary (maybe because it is so common) and dull/dated from inside whereas the IS250 just grabs your attention straight away.

Also have to agree with the point on the favourable reviews BMW's tend to get. The main point that seems to get emphasised all the time is the handling of the BMW's when pushed to the limits. I am looking for a car to drive in my every day life not one that I will be using for rally driving. To me confort and economy are more important than how the car handles at high speeds around tight bends. The level of equipment you get with the IS250 is just miles better than what you get with a BMW 3 series. For example you will struggle to find one with electric seats whereas this comes pretty much as standard with the IS250.

Thanks you all for your help on this.

Yes the IS250 wouldnt live with a 3 series pushed to the limit on a track - but who cares? Its a fantastic car in the way we all use them. Look at Clarksons shocking RCF review on top gear - couple of drifts on an disused airfield and dismisses it as useless. On the limit handling is something some people want to to know about and makes for good slow-mo atmospheric tv pictures - but its not the basis on which 99% people actually buy or use cars.

I live in MK too and have run several IS models, I had the 220d new in 2006, an IS250 f sport in 2010 and just changed to a new IS250 Premier. Even running on the dual carriageways daily I can't get past 29 mpg yet. I've only done one proper motorway run, and that didn't help due to the fact that it was the first chance to really open it up. I'd expect that with a light right foot cruising on a clear motorway, I'd get into the low 30s per gallon.

• 4 years later...

My take on mpg is as follows

60-62 mph on a run will average 44-47mpg

70-75 will get you late 30's at best

Town driving and generally not watching caring about fuel economy 29-33 mpg. 

Bear in mind this is real world economy, would be unfair to compare against quoted figures from other cars 

My overall average is 33 mpg over 80000 miles mixed driving, more in summer less in winter. That's actual rather than what the instrumentation says as it tends to read 3 mpg over but given the cars weight and I use Sainsbury's standard unleaded I'm not going to grumble.

I think realistically that is pretty good for a small V6 engine. Ive averaged not much better in diesels and been made to feel satisfied that it must be good because its a diesel. Mines is an 08 with 113k and it drives like its never turned a wheel. Fantastic thing 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2015 at 10:15 PM, jasear said:

Hi

I am looking to buy an IS250.

I will be driving mainly non-motorway miles but I live in Milton Keynes where the roads are wide and open and you dont usually have too much traffic.

I have heard and read that the IS250 is very heavy on petrol, I would have considered the diesel version but it does not come with an auto gearbox. How bad is fuel economy on the IS250?

I will also be grateful if you can advise on what to look out for in the car I am considering to purchase?

Lastly have any of you owned a BMW 3 series and IS250? If so can you adivse on how they both compare? I just love the IS250 but the only thing that appeals to me about the BMW 3 series is the fact it comes with an auto gearbox in diesel. Btw why on earth there is no auto option in the IS220d?

Where did you read that IS250 has bad fuel economy as well bad compared to what 1.0l Fiesta? My late 250 which had nearly 200k miles was still fairly fuel efficient (more more efficient than my new RC). My all time average MPG was 28.3 over 70k miles, which I consider very decent.. and I was hammering it all the time.

I have owned both IS250 and BMW328xi... how they compare - Lexus is much more comfortable, much better equipped and has better materials inside, more fuel efficient too. BMW is outright faster, much sharper on steering and seems like riding on wooden barrels not wheels (bare in mind that was on RunFlats).