Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

White Smoke

BB1000

new engine 2 years ago but lately im getting lots of white smoke 10 mins after a journey starts ... any ideas

just had it serviced and they mentioned nothing

is it just coz the colder weather as it was fine in summer

• 10 months later...

Same as you - 

New engine Jan 14

White smoke when the engine is in the warming up stage.  100% time worse if you driving round town regardless of the revs.  Car seems to drive ok other than the smoke and my mile per gallon has reduced as I have changed my driving style in increasing the revs.

Problem got worse so got the EGR valve cleaned in Jan 15.  This reduced it to what it was before but it got worse again and cleaned the EGR valve again yesterday but the problem has not gone away.  The x2 dealers I have used are not sure what the issue is, they claim the DPF is fine and working and I don't have a head issue.  I was expecting the news I would need a new CAT/DPF but I have been told it is working with in all tolerance in their tests.

This issue is listed so many times in here and the web I have no idea why the dealers don't know what the issue is.  I have been told it could be a cylinder ring issue with oil being burned on the warm up phase but I am not convinced but I will take it in after 1000 miles and see what the results are.

I will give it a thrash tonight around the M60 and see if clears any left over carbon as the white smoke smells cleaner this time.

Is it me or do people not say what the solution is they just stop writing. 

Its not smoke its steam and you always get lots of it in the wet cold winter months. If you drive a brand new Roller, Bentley, Lamborghini, BMW, Audi, in fact any car with an  engine it happens. Nothing to worry about.

• 1 month later...

Hi ,noticed myself same issue today,so looked around also in forums all directing to DPF and EGR,haven't had Lexus before juts got one,high mileage 160k but full Lexus history last done 4k ago,so long story short it drives fine and no warning lights,but in the dark when someone is back with headlights it seems that the smoke is like fog:),got me bit worried today,i will see how it is in daylight,done just 300 mile trip on motorway and did notice anything?If it was a problem with DPF thsi trip should of cleared it a bit,so no idea at the moment,lets see tomorrow....

Arnito,

The plot thickens with my Lexus.  Since the last update I written to Lexus UK looking for an answer to the issue as I have seen too many of these cars smoking.  They claim this is a engine problem of some description and even telling me yesterday I have a head gasket issue again with a engine they put in two years ago.  Please note no one has looked at the car to make this judgement. 

Lexus keep claiming this isn't a known issue whilst these forums and other cars on the road say other wise.

Lexus want to charge me to strip the engine down and see what the problem is at my expense, we are in discussions regarding this.