Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Qs About Cars In Uk

SSML

Hi ALL:

I am curious about whether the regulation in UK allows Left Hand Drive cars (steering wheel on the left side of the car) to be legally on road?? I saw some cars in UK's EVO magazine, cars with UK plates but yet LHD??

I know that many countries only allow steering wheel to be on the opposite side of the side they drive on. So in AUSTRALIA(we drive on Left hand side as u all know), only Right Hand Drive cars can be registered. 8 Enzos ordered by Australians can NOT be registered and can not be driven on road legally b/c they are all LHD (need to apply special permit for the occasion).

Japan allows both RHD(of course) and LHD cars to be driven on the road. although it's a bit inconvient for LHD cars sometimes esp. when paying parking fee at car park exit. But I think it's more fun to drive both versions and u get to change gears with different hands. :D

SSML

Guest mark_tsang

as fidgit say LHD is allowed. insurance is bit higher though, few yrs ago i heard some tunnels in UK dont allow LHD cars to go in, dunno if thats the case now or ever was. is inconvenient for multistorey carparks(right hand side barriers/kiosk). LHD isnt worth as much 2nd hand either.

i always wonder why subaru/mitsubishi rally cars are LHD with UK plates.

On the Rally cars

the mitsis are LHD because there built in belgium, the subarus should be RHD if there the works cars, as they are built at PRODRIVE

the fords are built in Cumbria.so are RHD

as for normal UK cars, there are no restrictions to LHD/RHD and nowadays there shouldnt be any insurance increase either, because if the car is a European sourced LHD then its no longer classed as an import as it comes with Full european COC (certificate of conformity)

which means the car has no issues which could make the car unsafe for UK roads

this rulling should now be european wide.i.e within the EEC

this is why it is relatively simple for me to sell a RHD car onto the German Net, and also why my car can be insured on the German system, which incidently is far cheaper than the UK system

Guest mark_tsang

dont u have to change headlights on LHD for UK use, by looking at some modifying car catalogues, some after market wing mirors notes for LHD use or suitable for RHD cars.

On the Rally cars

the mitsis are LHD because there built in belgium, the subarus should be RHD if there the works cars, as they are built at PRODRIVE

Subaru WRCs are LHD despite being built in UK.

I think it's because most of the events are in LHD countries - makes sense to be on the correct side most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

LHD cars are permitted in the UK.

But to pass any MOT you need to have the headlights adjusted.

I used to have a LHD motor that I bought in Germany when I was in the Army and then brought it over to the UK, and only had to get the headlights adjusted to pass the MOT.

My mate has a LHD Audi TT, and I had a go in it, but I don't think I could go back to LHD as it's a real pain in the :tsktsk: trying to overtake, especially on B roads :unsure:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links