Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Terrible Review

Anybody who thinks the BMW X3 is fashionable has no taste whatsoever, and needs an urgent appointment at Specsavers. It is marginally better to drive than the NX, but looks hideous, boxy and dated inside and out. The Evoque is a stunning looking car with a nice interior, and looks particularly good on the back of a breakdown truck as it disappears down the road. I would certainly recommend one over an NX if you value looks over quality, and want to form a deep meaningful relationship with all the Land Rover technicians at your local dealership.

• Like 2

This is the exact reason I didn't buy the Evoque. A good friend bought one a couple of years ago and he is ready to take a sledgehammer to it. He told me to avoid it due to satnav/electrical problems. On one occasion the electronic handbrake wouldn't disengage and he was stuck in a carpark while Land Rover assist were called out.

The complaints about the Evoque are all over the internet, but it doesn't seem to have hindered sales. The electronics are definitely one of it's biggest problems. Nothing particularly major, but a series of annoying little faults that ruin the whole ownership experience, and may or may not render the car undriveable at times. The electronic handbrake issue has affected Jaguars for years, so no surprise it has found it's way into the company's Land Rover products. The Sat Nav & media software is positively antiquated, and I know of owners who have damaged the screens attempting to get the hard keys to respond to touch. It also has a nasty habit of shutting down completely, leaving a blank or blue screen, and no way of controlling many of the vehicles' functions.

That particular type of issue is one to watch in the NX, as I have read a few reports of problems with the media/audio system locking up (requiring the car to be stopped and restarted), and a couple where the entire media/sat nav system refuses to boot up because the software potentially has a bug. I understand these may be linked to the pairing of a certain type of mobile phone to the vehicles' Bluetooth. However, I have every confidence that Lexus are on top of such things, which is more than I could say if I owned a Jaguar or Land Rover product.

I also found the "power delivery delay" issue a few days back when about to overtake some cyclists - essentially cruising along at around 30 mph behind the cyclists, then put my foot down to overtake as fast as possible (I was in normal mode, and did not use any paddles.... just foot down).

So you notice the car starts gaining speed slowly (very slowly, it is like if you are in 5th gear on a manual petrol on motorway and you put your foot down) and then around maybe 0.5/1 sec later, you notice a sort of "torrent of power" giving you the kick. That one feels really nice, the only thing is that it comes a bit late.

It is like the car is thinking - does he (the driver) really want full power or can he do with a little....?

I need to test this in sport mode, and see if I still have the same delay. I have a feeling it will not be there.

Does anybody know if keeping the NX constantly in sport mode is bad for transmission/hydrid drive train?

Still really happy with the purchase - it is unbeatble smooth once you get to speed.

Dom.

Looks wise, I always think that the Evoque stylists gave it a kick up the arse and a slap on the head. Looks reasonable from the front, but my god, the back end is awful.

I've just been for a 50 mile run with the NX in Sports mode. Keeping the car in S1 and S2 for as long as possible certainly makes it shift. No delay in throttle response, and feels much much quicker than it's official figures. I know the 300H is supposed to be a couple of seconds slower to 60 than the 200, but I bet the hybrid is quicker to 40 than the 200 purely because of the torque from the hybrid system being fully available from standstill.. From 40-60 is probably where the petrol turbo makes up ground, and the hybrid starts to fade. I don't know what you guys think of the synthetic engine note when accelerating hard in Sports mode, and I know it has been panned by some motoring journalists, but I actually thought it sounded very good. I don't think driving constantly in Sport Mode will do the engine or box any harm at all. It certainly hasn't affected the consumption figures....they are still just as bad!!

Well the fuel figures are another story - I was going to give an update at the 1000 miles (currently on 960).

Essentially, I am on 38.5 mpg - and consistently getting 40+ mpg on out of town runs of 10 miles. It has really improved now that the weather is not so cold.

The initial warm up period is what really screws the average mpg - in the trip to the supermarket (2.5 miles) I get 25 mpg on the way there.... and 50-55 on the way back! On normal mode.

For my trials with sport s/s+ mode, it is very rev happy, so I have a feeling it will affect the fuel consumption.

As far as it does not damage anything - I would keep it always in sport s mode (so far sport s+ only reserved for motorway)

No wonder they were not happy with the performance, according to the specs in the review, they were driving a THREE cylinder model ???

Just completed 42 miles. 30 miles motorway and 12 miles pootling around. Average was 42.8mpg. Car was in Normal mode for the motorway with gear lever in D mode. Pootling around was in sport mode and gear lever in sport ( S )as well.

I've found the best mpg results and driving experience is when I leave everything in normal for motorway cruising then switch everything to sport ( including gearlever) when average speed is below 50/60 mph ( in town/ dual carriageway etc).

Sport + not standard on F Sport though. Another £750 I believe. Forgot the Premier didn't get the paddle shifters. Silly that, it's hardly a feature confined to sports models nowadays, and the Premier is just as quick as the F Sport.

Ah ok , didn't know that. I've had paddle shifters in my last three cars, and can't recall using them at all. Maybe handy going down a steep hill for engine braking but I just use the + or - on the gear lever.

Must be the old habit of when I was driving manuals and slways had my hand on the gear lever!

Sport + not standard on F Sport though. Another £750 I believe. Forgot the Premier didn't get the paddle shifters. Silly that, it's hardly a feature confined to sports models nowadays, and the Premier is just as quick as the F Sport.

Yes sport s+ comes with the AVS option. On cars with AVS, sport s only increases throttle response. sport s+ increases throttle response, tightens steering and stiffens suspension.

I preordered mine, after seen some reviews about how hard the ride was in F-Sport, but without actually have test-driven it, so ordered it just in case.

About a month or so after the pre-order, I test drove an F-Sport without AVS, and I found it fine - but the roads where I tested it were not particulaly bad.

If I had to choose again, I think I would get it again. On motorway in normal suspension mode at 7x mph, feels pretty much like flyiing carpet. Change it to sport s+ and you definitely get a feel for the road below.

Have not used the paddle shifters yet other than to test they work when I took delivery.