Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Air Filter

Apparently theres quite a few bhp gains from it.

I went for the takeda intake which personally prefer as the sound is less of a roar and most of the stock air box is kept.

Dont know if its worth the 350 quid or so for the KN but if you like the sound then fair enough, was abit too loud for me and wanted as little as change from stock as possible.

I was able to fit mine myself where as the kn was a little more involved ... For a numbnuts like me i wanted it as simpleto do otherwise would have to pay someone to do it.

So if your a dab hand under the bonnet want it loud go for the KN !

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Apparently theres quite a few bhp gains from it.

I went for the takeda intake which personally prefer as the sound is less of a roar and most of the stock air box is kept.

Dont know if its worth the 350 quid or so for the KN but if you like the sound then fair enough, was abit too loud for me and wanted as little as change from stock as possible.

I was able to fit mine myself where as the kn was a little more involved ... For a numbnuts like me i wanted it as simpleto do otherwise would have to pay someone to do it.

So if your a dab hand under the bonnet want it loud go for the KN !

Cheers..been toying with the idea of modding it and hopefully improving the car (well it has been a year I suppose since I bought it)

How about the K&N panel air filter?

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/kn.html

That would be a quick win as long as it added something to the car.

I dont think panel filters add anything at all. But could be wrong .

Takeda intake was my first mod also , next is the apex throttle control for approx 150 and should improve the throttle response no end im told and seems great value. Finally hope to get an HS exhaust for 1200 next year and thats it for me !!

Changing headers for a couple grand and 30bhp just doesnt seem worth it too me but who knows in future.... :-)

• Like 1

The US forum has extensively covered aftermarket filters. NONE will actually add BHP in isolation, some actually sap 2 or 3. You need down pipes and full exhaust to complement them. Sound on the other hand is a vast improvement imo and really adds to the thrill of driving the car. It is a V8 and in stock form does not sound like it imo. Air intake and exhaust made me go from liking the car to LOVING the car. IMO the Takeda provides the best sound from the digging i did.

• Like 1

I dont think panel filters add anything at all. But could be wrong .

Takeda intake was my first mod also , next is the apex throttle control for approx 150 and should improve the throttle response no end im told and seems great value. Finally hope to get an HS exhaust for 1200 next year and thats it for me !!

Changing headers for a couple grand and 30bhp just doesnt seem worth it too me but who knows in future.... :-)

That is exactly what i have done to my ISF.

• Like 1

Product Specifications

Estimated Horsepower Gain

12.06 HP @ 5852 RPM

Air Filter Color

Red

Air Filter Height

5 in (127 mm)

Air Filter Large End Diameter

6 in (152 mm)

Air Filter Material

Cotton Gauze

Air Filter Outlet Shape

Round

California Restricted

Not legal for sale or use in California

Clamp Material

Stainless Steel

Clamp Style

Regular

Clamps Included

Couplers Included

Intake Pipe Color / Finish

Polished

Intake Pipe Ports

All intake tube ports needed for the specified applications are included

Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter Included

Mass Air Flow Sensor Adapter Included When Required

Product Box Height

14.5 in (368 mm)

Product Box Length

24.1 in (612 mm)

Product Box Width

15.5 in (394 mm)

Product Style

69 Series Typhoon Kits

Replacement Filter

RU-5176

Street Legal In All US States

No

System Type

Cold-Air Intake System

TUV Approved (Europe)

No

Vacuum Tubing Included

No

Weight

7.9 lb (3.6 kg)

Horsepower gains based on similar vehicle dynamometer test. Results will vary.

There was a rolling road print out with my filter to show the hp gain.

Proper CAI kits do give some hp increase, and a nice rasp.

K&N Engineering will proudly display a highly modified 2006 Lexus IS 250MT in its booth at SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association) in October. K&N employees were awarded a stock car from Lexus for display in its booth at the show in Las Vegas, Nevada.

69-8701TP.jpg
Typhoon Air Intake for Lexus IS350 and IS250

K&N has also released a new 69-Series Typhoon Air Intake (69-8701TP) for the 2006 to 2011 Lexus IS350 3.5L and the 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 IS250 2.5L. K&N dynamometer tests show an estimated 11.2 horsepower gain @5800 RPM. "The power gain is exceptional for an engine this size," said K&N Project Technician Nestor Cabrera. "With all our kits there is a thorough development procedure which requires the use of multiple vehicles to ensure a consistent horsepower and torque gain on every car, thus there is a lot of testing that the kit goes through before it is finalized production."

K&N used multiple vehicles to ensure a consistent horsepower and torque gain on every car and was able to locate the cars through the K&N Filters website car database.

The 69-Series Typhoon Air Intake (69-8701TP) uses the factory mass air flow (MAF) Sensor installed in the tube and a high flow air filter with a heat shield. "The high flow air filter helps provide smooth non turbulent air flow into the intake tube by incorporating a radioused mounting flange," said Cabrera. "The heat shield isolates the filter from the engine compartment keeping the air around it cooler."

The design of the Lexus played a major role in the development of the polished aluminum 69-Series Typhoon Air Intake (69-8701TP). "Special care was taken to ensure that the intake system followed the vehicles lines and that it did not obstruct or rub against other parts in the engine compartment," said Cabrera. "We designed the intake system so that all the factory accessory and engine covers could be reused."

The K&N Air Filter we used in this air intake was the RU-4990 , said Cabrera. "We considered air flow requirements, location and space," he said. "The flange helps provide smooth air flow into the intake tube."

Find K&N products for your vehicle using the K&N application search then use the K&N dealer search to find a K&N dealer in your part of the world.

I have fitted a k&n panel filter into the air box of my is-f, (as i did not want to make any obvious visual modifications and alter the intake pipe/filter etc without informing my insurance company) the panel filter has not seemed to give any improvements that i noticed, but if it did, a 2-3 bhp increase in 417 bhp would hardly be noticeable anyway, but i don't think that it would sap any bhp as suggested earlier, as k&n do a lot of research into their filters and i think they would not make a filter to flow less than a stock filter, as due to the increased filter surface area they introduce by adding more folds into their elements than the standard element it should flow a lot more air than a standard element, it is also far better at filtering dirt than a stock element and keeps working at a better rate far longer than a paper element.I have always used k&n filters in all my vehicles be it a road or competition vehicle, as their fit/performance is by far better than anything else i have tried previously.

A proper CAI will offer let far more air into the engine than a standard filter and thus increase hp), you don't need to be a scientist to figure that out.

This one here

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=69-8701TP

Its quite a bit more than a panel filter which is nothing more than a standard filter that is reusable.

A proper CAI will offer let far more air into the engine than a standard filter and thus increase hp), you don't need to be a scientist to figure that out.

This one here

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=69-8701TP

Its quite a bit more than a panel filter which is nothing more than a standard filter that is reusable.

The OP is talking about the ISF not IS250/350. A filter change will not increase power on the ISF the ECU will not allow extra power and just change the fuelling to compensate.

Right..so the Panel Filter is just snake oil then? At least that has saved me some money. Might have to go down the exhaust route then.

Both the intake and exhaust make the car more enjoyable to drive imo. The exhaust reall edentates the v8 sound but the intake makes the engine sound more beefy as well so for me both add to the overall experience.

The HPS silicone intake pipe combined with a K&N panel filter will improve airflow over OEM.

The true benefits won't be there until you add the exhaust, but it does make a difference.

Not to HP, but more airflow without the ribbed section of the OEM intake pipe.

I wouldn't go for a CAI on the IS-F. Had the Takeda on mine for a while, and whilst it sounded better, it cost me HP, put a nasty spike in my AFR readings on the dyno, and reduced my fuel consumption by a couple of MPG. :(

Exhaust and headers are the way to go for HP and hearing that V8 burble! ;)

I'm thinking your exhaust made up the lost numbers Stu. :)

If you switched back to OEM, or HPS and K&N panel filter on the induction side, I bet you would make even more than you did with the Takeda.

At the end of the day it's all about personal choices. If you want more sound at the cost of a few HP, get the Takeda.

If you want to chase more HP, go for the performance exhaust. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links