Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 New Front Struts Bargain

tim hunter

Hello

I went out to my 160k '98 LS400 recently after it had been stood for a few days and the nearside front was down in the weeds, not good.

The front spring had decided to break at the bottom near where it sits on the strut, and the rest of the spring had now gone right down to the bottom of the leg.

Using OEM Lexus parts is out of the question, having seen the ridiculous prices, so I started shopping around for a pair of springs and shocks.

The least expensive I could find for a set of KYB - which I have used on other cars without problem - were coming in at £220 plus delivery.

Casting the net wider I looked in California. It is common in the USA for entire struts to be supplied, pre-assembled. So, not only do you not have to mess around with springs compressors, transferring bits and pieces, but you get a new top mount, bottom bush, dust boots etc... No idea why the UK market has not woken up to this idea yet.

Anyway I ordered them, and six days later they were sitting in my kitchen - £210 for the pair including air freight and customs charges.

Fitting them was a doddle, less than two hours to do both sides working on the driveway.

It still drives exactly like a Lexus should, so I am very pleased.

I will be ordering a rear set next week - may as well do all four at these prices!

Regards

Tim

post-41934-0-64080100-1425758223_thumb.j

post-41934-0-43494000-1425758240_thumb.j

post-41934-0-86272800-1425758250_thumb.j

post-41934-0-16050100-1425758264_thumb.j

post-41934-0-95443900-1425758320_thumb.j

• Like 3

Hello Tim

I hope all is well - I bought your silver Mk 3 which you can probably see in the photo to the left.

The struts look very good value and represent a significant saving from buying them over here. I did have one of the front springs break on mine and just replaced the spring which I think came out about £80. Since a complete unit is not much more than this, that's definitely the way to go.

Car is running well and I have been very pleased with it since I have had it.

Regards

Colin

...... so why on earth one asks can't the UCAs be non OEM and equally exceptionally well built !!!! ( rhetorical Q no doubt ) :outforcount:

Malc

Colin - good to hear from you. Very glad you continue to be pleased with my old Mk3 - it was a great car!

Malc - I know there is endless discussion about the upper wishbones. All I can say is that I replaced both the ones on this car for £75 over 20k miles ago and they are still as good as new. They are so simple to fit I don't really mind if they fail after that sort of mileage.. I also did the lower ball joints at the same time, and they are just fine too.

Tim hi .. what are your replacement UCAs please.?

Mine were absolutely fine at the last MOT last May but always fearful now at 167k miles.

My Mk1 UCAs I replaced at 160k or so, albeit aeons ago now, and they cost a shed load at Lexus prices even then ( supply only )

Malc

• 6 months later...

Hi Tim

I just checked out the link for the struts you purchased, with a view to changing mine next year.

Shocked to see the shipping costs is $487.93 that's over £300 + import duties add the cost of the struts and it's over £500 for the pair.

unless I'm missing something

Perhaps I will wait until it fails Mot on struts before buying.

Best wishes

Brian