Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Making Her Breath Better

Looking at no power gains for those mods.

An induction kit will lose power as it's routed to draw air in from under the bonnet next to the hot manifold. The stock intake is the best for performance for the car.

The exhaust won't give you more power either so you're probably looking at losing power or gaining at the most 5bhp.

25bhp isn't gonna happen. The only way to get more power is forced induction, so either supercharger or turbo.

most tuners confirm upto 10% hp gain from an intake / Exhaust mod on NA engines depending on engine design of course.. a 10% increase will take it from 155 to about 170ish which might improve things but wont transform it if you know what i mean.. it will make it sound sporty tho if thats what you after..

if you dont want to charge the engine then performance air filter and manifold exhaust is the route to go.. as I already confirmed up to 10% gain is about what you should expect but all will also depend on engine health.

if you asked me, there is not a lot in real world performance difference between 155 bhp and 170bhp maybe a cars length or half a second improvement which is rougly what you might get out of intake/ manifold/ exhaust mod.. reducing your tires from 17's to 16's will improve acceleration you can also make changes to your final drive ratio which will improve acceleration but decrease your top end speed

Noby you won't get that from a 200. 170bhp n/a isn't gonna happen. You will not get 10% increase in power from an intake. The reasons why I posted in my first post.

The standard intake on an IS200 draws the air from outside the car, up the air scoop. An induction kit loses this air scoop and the car takes the air them from under the bonnet next to the hot manifold where the air is considerably hotter. Hot air doesn't make for good combustion.

The induction kit and exhaust mod will make it sound better.... That's it.

hence i said most tuners confirm upto 10% could be gained from those mods on NA engines depending on engine design and health didnt say he was gaurenteed it.

• 9 months later...

The standard intake is pants, a decent designed ram intake, enclosed in a box will definitely be more efficient than the oem unit. Theres enough evidence on various forums where is200 owners have used decent in takes (not just a cone filter on a pipe) and have gained better throttle response and mpg, not denying the lack of bhp increase tho, but some will be gained if dobe correctly. The oem exhaust from factory on the other hand is very good, a free flowing manifold may help

you can push too much air through it, so a massive air intake could make it worse. the standard set up is good as it takes cold air from under the front of the bonnet, but change the panel is always good. As for the exhaust, it is an "air gap" type so a pipe within a pipe so there is a restriction there. I have no idea on bhp gains, but I do know that just changing the back box gave a noticeable quicker pick up on mine, no not massive but it was definitely there and well worth the £250 I paid. and the same with the cat if you don't mind the engine management light on. Mine is turboed now so a very different animal but you can get a slight gain by doing intake/exhaust. But beyond that it is forced induction to get anything meaningful which sure is fun!

• Like 1

mine isn't loud either, it just gives a nice burble, I went for a powerflow back box that sounds nice but not loud. of course when the turbo cuts in it gets loud and the air filter noise takes over.... but in normal driving it just sounds a bit deeper but not much louder. Like everything depends how you get the work done.