Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300H 0-60, 50-70Mph Performance On Video.

One question that seems to come up a lot is about the ‘performance’ of the IS300H versus say a BMW 320D. Most magazine reviewer seem to think the IS300H is slow….Despite on-paper figures suggesting other wise.

So had a morning free today, and the sun was out, so had a little ‘play’ with my SJ4000 camera.

Did a quick video of the IS300H, in Sport mode, 0-60mph.

Not the most accurate test, but it’s around 8 seconds in the real world, given how easy it is to launch, it’s pretty much the same as a 320D.

But what surprised me was the ‘in-gear’ performance, 50-70mph is pretty rapid, and certainly meets if not beat ‘quoted’ times for the 320D….Yet one of the things car reviewers go on endless about is the ‘effortless overtaking’ of diesel cars due to toque, but in a real world situation the IS300H matches the in-gear numbers….So what on earth are car reviewers going on about when they complain about the performance of the IS300H :msn-oh: ??

I also did a quick blast around the local B roads, and as you can see the road handling of the IS300H is fab, slightly short on steering feel, but much better than our old Civic. Though the engine noise isn’t great, and the ‘fake’ engine noise generator is even worse, but you can tell the chassis of the IS has been set-up well. And dare I say it, comparing unmodified to unmodified, the IS300H's handling/ride is more fun and more compliant than my E90 BMW 335i!! :) It's just a shame Lexus haven't don't sell the IS350 here in the UK, because when paired up to a proper power train, I think the IS will be very hard to beat...

A new hybrid IS-F tuned for performance would be very very nice, and I think would challenge the M3 as the ultimate sports saloon...Come on Lexus, just build the thing:flowers:

So in summary any one ‘concerned’ about a lack performance for the IS300H shouldn’t be….Ignore the magazine reviews, and go test drive one for your self.

It’s no-sports car, but it’s certainly just as good interms of performance as the journalist favourite 320D…Except you don’t have the clatter of the diesel engine, and don’t need to worry about turbos/timing chains failing.

But if you really want a quick/fun ’sports’ saloon/car, the petrol engine still rule (maybe with the exception of a Tesla S)…and Lexus do offer the RC-F, hopefully a new IS-F :)

• Like 2

IS200t is coming out later this year if Im not mistaken - 235hp and enough torque to match the IS350 - expect 0-60 in 6.5s. Its going to make the IS350 obsolete if not careful!

• Like 1

Great videos well done.

I agree it is way more than fast enough, myself, I simply switch to sport, then move the gearstick into manual mode. The car then automatically drops a gear ratio, then if I floor it, it just moves, and very fast. At any speed, using this method, I doubt any 2lt tdi would keep up.

Personally I always had no doubt that this 300h has an equivalent if not superior acceleration when it comes to regain speed...they said the e-CVT is boring and bad thing, they said...

I noticed that in the video you performed the "launch control" for the 0-60, that's a great "hidden" feature that I haven't tried yet.

Taking advantage from the "Pick & Delivery" Lexus program I managed to get a brand new NX 300h as substitute car and I saw that the gearbox has even been improved in reactions and speed, also in NORMAL mode the electric engine works better when the ICE is not working: smoother and better acceleration without the need to go in the POWER "red" zone for normal driving, most of the times.

Speaking of the NX, I wrote a long review about the NX but...it's in Italian, so if you're interested in reading (maybe you can just take a look at the photo gallery I made) click here for the translated - by Google - original page:

https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autopareri.com%2Fforum%2Fprove-e-recensioni-auto%2F69050-lexus-nx-300h-executive-2wd-my2015.html&edit-text=

not bad in terms of performance but i think you should be comparing the 300h to a 325d automatic BMW instead of 320d sport automatic since the 325d and 300h have almost the same HP figures and are priced similar. the 325d wins in terms of performance..

Great videos well done.

I agree it is way more than fast enough, myself, I simply switch to sport, then move the gearstick into manual mode. The car then automatically drops a gear ratio, then if I floor it, it just moves, and very fast. At any speed, using this method, I doubt any 2lt tdi would keep up.

Thanks, I knew the IS300H is more than quick enough, the data is there on paper, but I think the power delivery fools a lot people, and as they say a picture (or video in this case) is worth 1000 words :)

Personally I always had no doubt that this 300h has an equivalent if not superior acceleration when it comes to regain speed...they said the e-CVT is boring and bad thing, they said...

I noticed that in the video you performed the "launch control" for the 0-60, that's a great "hidden" feature that I haven't tried yet.

Taking advantage from the "Pick & Delivery" Lexus program I managed to get a brand new NX 300h as substitute car and I saw that the gearbox has even been improved in reactions and speed, also in NORMAL mode the electric engine works better when the ICE is not working: smoother and better acceleration without the need to go in the POWER "red" zone for normal driving, most of the times.

Speaking of the NX, I wrote a long review about the NX but...it's in Italian, so if you're interested in reading (maybe you can just take a look at the photo gallery I made) click here for the translated - by Google - original page:

https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autopareri.com%2Fforum%2Fprove-e-recensioni-auto%2F69050-lexus-nx-300h-executive-2wd-my2015.html&edit-text=

Thanks I'll have alook at your NX review, one of our family friends was asking about one after sitting in our IS. As for the 'launch control', it's what I've been doing with my conventional auto BMW for ages...Nice and easy, not sure why all the manufactuers have gone mad with 'launch control' systems, good old one foot on the brake and one foot on the acclerator always works for me.

not bad in terms of performance but i think you should be comparing the 300h to a 325d automatic BMW instead of 320d sport automatic since the 325d and 300h have almost the same HP figures and are priced similar. the 325d wins in terms of performance..

The BMW 320D is the ubiquitous 'premuim' saloon all car reviewers love. It's also pretty much the same price as the IS300H, where as an auto 325D starts at nearly £33K before options, the IS300H starts at £29K which is £4K less.

In any case I didn't do these videos to promote the 'performance' of the IS300H. Cars in this segment in my mind are no where near proper 'performance' or 'sports' cars, if you want to chase every last BHP, get the up-and-coming IS-F or BMW 335/M3, as my last video shows, a proper 'performance' car makes the IS300H look/feel like a shopping chart. Driven flat out, I honestly think the IS300H would dissappear from the review mirrow of my 335i with-in about 10 seconds on any type of road...But that would be true for a 320D...or a 325D. And none of this how diesels have good 'in gear perfromance' is due to 'torque' rubbish, my petrol 335i produced a maxium 500 nm of torque at 2500-3000rpm, and revs out at over 6500rpm :P

The reason why people love cars like the 320D is because for the purpose of day to day driving, the occasional overtake performance its more than adequate, whilst returing decent ecnomoy. And of the biggest critisms car reviewers have about the IS300H is that it doens't offer the same level of performance as a 320D, and write non-rubbish about how the IS300H has 'poor peformance'....But as my own REAL LIFE expereince shows, this is far from the truth :flowers: .

Thanks I'll have alook at your NX review, one of our family friends was asking about one after sitting in our IS.

As for the 'launch control', it's what I've been doing with my conventional auto BMW for ages...Nice and easy, not sure why all the manufactuers have gone mad with 'launch control' systems, good old one foot on the brake and one foot on the acclerator always works for me.

I hope that it can be helpful, even if the automated translation is poor/wrong for some words. :eerrrmm:

Sorry to appear dim, can someone explain 'Launch Control' for me please.

It's simple but a few number of people figured out how to do it!

Basically you have to keep pushed the brake pedal while you accelerate with your right foot, in that way the petrol engine "wakes up" and revs up (if you don't do this trick you start with the electric engine and after you have the punch of the petrol engine) with the electric engine, then you depress the brake and the car will accelerate faster than usual. ;)

As the video prove you can cover the 0-60 in less than 8 seconds, but make sure to have the Battery charged for best results

I should add a warning here about 'launch control' or 'brake boosting'....

I did the process of foot on the brake and 'light' throttle for about 2-3 seconds before launching the car from standstill, and only TWICE. I have no intention of doing it again.

This method of 'Brake boosting' is used to launch cars with automatic transmissions and turbo engines. It allows you to 'build up' torque and reduce turbo lag....BUT it's not good for the transmission.

Conventional auto boxes have a 'Torque converter' which is basically two turbines/blades in a sealed fluid filled box. When you accelerate one blade turns, which than causes the fluid to mix and turn the other blade. When you 'brake boost' your forcing one turbine to move whilst keeping the other turbine still (due to brakes on the wheels)....Result, heat will build up very quickly in the fluid, and excess heat causes things to fail !!

16611939068_7a185542a2_o.jpg

It's like 'riding' the clutch on a manual car BUT at-least there's no physical wear of components, so in theory IF you keep heat controlled, brake boosting a traditional auto car is 'safe'...sort of. Whilst if you ride the clutch on a manual car....well your guaranteed a visit to the mechanic sooner rather than later ;)

Now I have no idea what happens in a hybrid car with a power-split device. As far as I can tell the wheels are driven by gear on the traction motor (MG2). So the ICE is reved to supple power and you keep your foot on the brake, your essentially forcing MG2 to remain stationary despite extra force....This will clearly generate heat...BUT as far as I can tell there is no clutch/torque converter device to reduce strain on the planetary gears...SO by forcing the ICE to run, and keeping MG2 still with brakes, your transferring all the power from the ICE to MG1(smaller motor), which i doubt is designed for high loads. SO potentially by 'brake boosting' a hybrid with a power split device you could cause PHYSICAL DAMAGE to the planetary gears!!!

16177186544_688450a10c_o.jpg

I read on the Pruis forums people do this to force charge the Battery....But my advice is NOT to brake boost a IS300H, I think the risk of transmission damaged is higher compared to conventional auto boxes with torque converters and the cost of any repairs will be much more than the cost replacing a clutch in a conventional gear box...Yes I know I did in the video, but I only very lightly touched the throttle for a maximum of 2 seconds and wouldn't be doing it again for the life of the car :)

I'm not so sure the problem is mechanical damage as the speed of MG1 will change to balance the engine revs, as it does when you accelerate hard whilst moving. The problem would be with MG2 as it is in effect stalled and a stalled electric motor has much lower effective resisitance than when it is rotating (due to back emf) and hence greater current flow and possible overheating. I would guess though that the electronics would prevent you from causing major damage.

• Like 1

I'm not so sure the problem is mechanical damage as the speed of MG1 will change to balance the engine revs, as it does when you accelerate hard whilst moving. The problem would be with MG2 as it is in effect stalled and a stalled electric motor has much lower effective resisitance than when it is rotating (due to back emf) and hence greater current flow and possible overheating. I would guess though that the electronics would prevent you from causing major damage.

To be quite honest, I still haven't got my head around the whole power-split device and how it works :msn-oh:

Launching any car that invovles 'working' the engine whilst using the brakes to keep it still will put some kind of stress on the system...BMW/Nissan have vauge statments about not using the built in launch control 'too often' and it might void the warranty.

But thats not really what the IS300H is about. Have covered over 600 miles in it now, love how quite and refined it is, as previously stated in another post my much faster BMW 335i has been used so little since the arrival of the IS300H it's pretty much become a permant decorative item on my drive way. :)

I read on the Pruis forums people do this to force charge the battery....But my advice is NOT to brake boost a IS300H, I think the risk of transmission damaged is higher compared to conventional auto boxes with torque converters and the cost of any repairs will be much more than the cost replacing a clutch in a conventional gear box...Yes I know I did in the video, but I only very lightly touched the throttle for a maximum of 2 seconds and wouldn't be doing it again for the life of the car :)

The system has many sensors and failsafe mechanisms to prevent damage but it isn't something you should be doing.

On the 400h there is even a reset procedure that involves loading the engine at 45% for 30 seconds with your foot on the brake so a few seconds isn't an issue however they warn you not to do it for longer than 40 seconds so there is heat build up.

• 4 years later...

Hello All,

Ganzoom-Thanks for the awesome vids, really like it..
I always knew that the IS300H have the enough potential power for the people like us.
I hate to read the compare to these cars, or compare to the mentioned brands (like BMW or Audi) much more depends on driver and it's taste as well.
On bigger range of speed like you shown from 50-80 or even further, I like the people's face when they're reading hybrid and I'm leaving them.. (Including some Audi and BMW types.)
But unfortunately the speed limit is ending the story quickly enough, because in a half of minute (+- a few seconds) to achieve 125mph is quick. (The only thing which I don't like in this car.)

BTW I'd like to ask a question as well:
Which is the best RPM range to have the best torque for you, what is the best (gas)pedal-playing in "manual" to change shift, to get out the better performance?

I mean I've played a lot with this car while I was driving long trips, have a rev.peak setup from 4500-5200 RPM, but I'm always up to read/listen better advice or experiences. 
Also this will probably build up my knowledge-base about the CVT and it's behaving.

Thank you for your or the others time and answer. :)

8 hours ago, Gerr28 said:

BTW I'd like to ask a question as well:
Which is the best RPM range to have the best torque for you, what is the best (gas)pedal-playing in "manual" to change shift, to get out the better performance?

The best performance is obtained by having the transmission in auto mode and letting the CVT keep the engine at a constant rpm at the peak power - which is 6,000 rpm.

The torque curve is flat between 4,200 and 5,400 rpm so try and keep to at least above 4,200 if in manual mode.

1307722413_ScreenShot2019-05-22at19_50_05.thumb.png.0f328d8942d7614dd256c8d70d9ccb5f.png

• Like 2

I always find comparison between IS300h and BMW 320d a bit silly. OK... I get it IS300h is cheapest (and the only IS) one could get in UK and 320d is the cheapest diesel BMW, however Lexus is still £5000 more expensive and thus like for like should be compared with BMW330i/d, not 320i/d.

SOOOO... yes Lexus is slower than competition if you compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges....

10 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

The best performance is obtained by having the transmission in auto mode and letting the CVT keep the engine at a constant rpm at the peak power - which is 6,000 rpm.

The torque curve is flat between 4,200 and 5,400 rpm so try and keep to at least above 4,200 if in manual mode.

1307722413_ScreenShot2019-05-22at19_50_05.thumb.png.0f328d8942d7614dd256c8d70d9ccb5f.png

Okay, Thank you very much! :)

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

I always find comparison between IS300h and BMW 320d a bit silly. OK... I get it IS300h is cheapest (and the only IS) one could get in UK and 320d is the cheapest diesel BMW, however Lexus is still £5000 more expensive and thus like for like should be compared with BMW330i/d, not 320i/d.

SOOOO... yes Lexus is slower than competition if you compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges....

I don't mind if a car quicker than mine. Just learn to drive it, not to annoy people on the road.
Lexus is a Luxury-Sport car or not sport, just let's say, Sporty in general. Capable of better performance than the avg, which is totally enough when you're doing some takeover.
If you want to do some race etc, then yup, go for AMG or whatever. 
I had the opportunity to drive and sit in a BMW and Audi, but it's not my "style". I would never change the "Lexus-feeling" for them. Of course, I'm always looking for the better performance, because if I have to push the gas, I want my car to move. Also, not to mention the consumption, comfort.. They say, the CVT have unusual loud sound, which is annoying. I guess it's depending on your taste. For me it's okay, but when I'm going for a long trip to visit my family, it's priceless with the hybrid while I'm cruising. Going with 80-90 mph, and I can whisper, everybody will hear it, because maximum what I can hear it's the music or the front wind or the tires sound.. 
I also saw/hear, you can't feel the car on the road, or in roundabouts, not sharp as the Audi or BMW. Again, depends on your taste. I enjoy how the car is acting in situations, and it is sharp. 
Previously I had IS250.. That car is also gave this "Lexus-feeling" or joy on the roads which is being the reason why I decided to buy the 300h.

No, I'm not here to praise the Lexus, :) but this is the only brand (so far) where I totally enjoy the driving.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Linas.P said:

Not sure where this £5K difference is coming from... A 318d is a thing and the cheapest 3-series diesel - 318d SE (manual) at £32,455. Meanwhile, the cheapest IS300h is £31,900. Spec an auto box on the BMW and it's £2K more than a Lexus.

320i SE is better comparison IMO. Only £500 difference, plus has petrol engine and automatic gearbox.

• Like 2