Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Exterior/interior Cleaning

Exterior:

alloys - Valetpro bilberry - its the safest alloy wheel cleaner out there. I have a slightly kerbed rim and been using it for 2 years at a dilution of 1:5 and it works great. At 1:5 you need to agitate with a soft wheel brush but that only takes a few minutes. If you want something just to spray on and leave then you need to use it straight out of the bottle.

Personally been using carchem shampoo. BUT you can use any car shampoo depending on your preference. Contrary to popular belief, suds dont mean anything, its the lubricity that you want. Triplewax will do very nicely as its a good all rounder.

Polish - There's a huge range to choose from but I have Autoglym SRP for the quick spruce ups and light protection for a few weeks. I also have Meguiars 205 which is great for Lexus soft paint and can be used by hand. I use it by machine with a white polishing pad and then with a black finishing pad to boost the gloss levels. The White pad is generally used on my wife's Merc as it has harder paint but the Lexus gets away with a black pad most of the time as its looked after well. I also have Autosmart Cherry Glaze which is a PDI polish - very good for 15 minute bling bling but needs to be topped with something for protection.

Protection - No point spending huge amounts of money on expensive boutique waxes here. In a blind test, they all look the same anyway. My favourite wax is Meguiars #16. Costs about £15, lasts a good 3 months + and beads like crazy. Trick is to put super thin layers on (super thin as in you shouldnt be able to see it) and it comes off with ease that way. For a sealant, I use Soft99 Fusso - it lasts a good 6 months and again, pretty cheap at £20 + its Japanese :P

Plastics - Valetpro protectant neat on plastics - leaves a waterproof finish for a month or so. Im planning to switch to Autosmart Trim wizard which lasts longer and the sample I tried was very good. Theyre both roughly the same price anyway for 1L off eBay which will last ages.

Windows - I just use rainx. Works fine for me, got 3 bottles from Wilko for £2.50 lol. Some people have issues with it if they dont apply properly. Best bet is to switch to Angelwax H2GO - its in a tiny bottle for £5 but it should last a while.

Interior:

All screens - No need to use anything special - damp cloth will do the trick. Its the safest method as some cleaners can mark the screens etc

Dashboards - Again, damp cloth to wipe - I use valetpro protectant at 1:2 to protect the dashboard.

Leather - Range of leather cleaners available. I use Autosmart Leather cleaner. I protect the leather with Autosmart Leather supplement.

Carpets - Good vaccuum, then Autosmart Brisk, agitation with a stiff brush and then suck it all up with a wet/dry vacuum.

• Like 2

INTERIOR

Dashboard and Other Plastic Surfaces

Dusting, weekly, followed by wiping with microfibre cloth dampened with a 5% mild soap solution, as necessary,

maybe fortnightly.

Screens and Mirror

Smooth microfibre cloth dampened with plain water, as necessary.

Windscreen and Side Windows

microfibre cloth and plain water immediately followed by a second dry microfibre cloth, as necessary.

Rear Window

Water with few drops of all-purpose cleaner on Stoner Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Tool, monthly.

Carpets

Vacuum only, weekly.

Rubber mats

Shampoo and sponge, as necessary.

Seats and Other Leather

Dr Leather wipes, twice yearly or as necessary. Denim stains: 5% mild soap solution on cotton wool.

Steering Wheel

microfibre cloth soaked in plain water, monthly.

EXTERIOR

Body, Plastics and Lights

Two-bucket shampoo (Mer High Shine on noodle-sponge), weekly. Dry with Kent XL Yellow microfibre cloths.

Harly Wax, twice yearly, after preparation with Dodo Juice Square Sponge clay Pad+Born Slippy Lube+Lime

Prime Lite.

Wheels

Shampoo, same as above, weekly, brush if necessary.

Windscreen, Side Windows and Mirrors

microfibre cloth and plain water followed by second dry microfibre, detergents only if necessary.

Tar, Resin, Bird Droppings

MyCar Tar Remover/WD-40 Oil/Dodo Juice Born Slippy, undiluted.

you will probably shoot me for this, but I have used waterless cleaning products or detailing spray on the paintwork of my cars (and those of friends and family) for the last few years. I find they work really well, but sometimes add a wax on top. I have never had any issues with scratches or swirl marks, and when I first started using waterless I used to check for them all the time. Waterless spray plus soft clean microfibre cloths must be lower risk than using a chamois or blade to get hard water off paintwork. Anyway the real threat to paintwork comes from stone chips etc. In winter after a journey on salty roads I take the car to a hand car wash and let them get on with it. Yes, I know they are not ideal, but ...

I have used various, some cheap and some upmarket. They all seems to work, but I am currently using Meguairs 'ultimate wash & wax anywhere'. They also do a detailing spray which would be fine if planning a proper wax job after cleaning. same spray as for claying. With care you will not scratch or swirl anything. If you are not careful, then no doubt you could - as with conventional washing.

Auto glym do an aerosol spray 'showroom shine' which is fine for shining up a car that is reasonably clean already.

old and new car shown here after waterless cleaning. the old one must have had four years of that treatment, and still looked good when I sold it

post-4517-0-64018300-1426439903_thumb.jp

post-4517-0-74158200-1426439923_thumb.jp

post-4517-0-89281900-1426440091_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/14/2015 at 0:24 PM, michaelH said:

you will probably shoot me for this, but I have used waterless cleaning products or detailing spray on the paintwork of my cars (and those of friends and family) for the last few years. I find they work really well, but sometimes add a wax on top. I have never had any issues with scratches or swirl marks, and when I first started using waterless I used to check for them all the time. Waterless spray plus soft clean microfibre cloths must be lower risk than using a chamois or blade to get hard water off paintwork. Anyway the real threat to paintwork comes from stone chips etc. In winter after a journey on salty roads I take the car to a hand car wash and let them get on with it. Yes, I know they are not ideal, but ...

Does the car still need washing as normal or is the "waterless cleaning"  replace the need for washing dirt away?   amazing if that's the case.   Have yet to wash my new car but after 1 week I think I should really look at cleaning it but want to replace all my microfibre cloths and sponge for some new kit and looking at claying with Bit Hamber but not too sure if I am better of with the waterless cleaning option as time isn't a luxury for me.  Found this on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHOWROOM-SHINE-WATERLESS-CLEANER-1Litre/dp/B005G20IL8 from Greased Lightning.  Anyone used this?    

As I suggested in my original post, if the car is covered in gritty roadsalt, or is utterly filthsome for some other reason, thenwash it first, or get someone to do it for you. But with ordinary levels of dirt just spray the waterless cleaner on, leave it a minute while the dirt emulsifies, and then wipe it off with a  microfibre cloth. Repeat if necessary, then use another microfibre cloth to polish it to a shine.  I live in Leicester, where we have really hard water and washing with that is a pain. If you have access to soft water then the advantages of waterless cleaning are not quite so obvious, but it still works out quicker, and the detailer I use softens and lifts the kind of clingy contamination that water trends to leave behind. I have not used the greased lightening product, but some of the cheaper ones contain too much wax and not enough cleanser. To play safe you could clean the car with a detailing spray from a respected brand and then use a wax afterwards. Yes, that takes a bit longer, but is still a lot quicker than conventional washing and waxing. Do it reasonably carefully and you will not get any swirls.

Thanks Michael,  I've ordered some Maguiars ultimate wash & wax and a couple of Maguiars microfiber towels so will give it a go on a inconspicuous area to start.   

I find its easier to just wash the car. Working on a car like my RX you end up going through 50 mf towels. 

Just wash the car and spray the car was Sonax BSD and that's it. Faster than waxing. Or get a spray sealant like Sonax PNS

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Any suggestions on window cleaning? Used a very cheap household window clean but got loads of streaks after a couple of days

Sent from my ONE A2001 using Tapatalk

Nilco glass cleaner from B&Q. Its a £5 for 5l.

It doesnt work well with MF towels though, TBH no glass cleaner does! Go to Home Bargains or pound stretcher and grab yourself a 35p "Glass Cloth" - works very well in conjunction with the nilco

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichyRich said:

Any suggestions on window cleaning? Used a very cheap household window clean but got loads of streaks after a couple of days

Ever tried plain water applied with one cloth and then immediately and energetically wiped off with another, repeating if necessary?

23 minutes ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

What's the best way to clean the inside of the back window? Put the seats down and use long arms or is there a better way?

Paul:  If, as in my case, your problem is reaching the corners without contorting yourself, try and get hold of a U.S.-made product called                                              Invisible Glass Reach & Clean Stick, which consists of a swivel-headed stick designed for the specific purpose of getting into awkward                                                    corners and angles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulWhitt20 said:

Stupid question!

What's the best way to clean the inside of the back window? Put the seats down and use long arms or is there a better way?

Remove the headrests and it makes the job a lot easier

• Like 1

Long time lurker, finally joined;

Interior

Dashboard: maintenance with waxaddict interior detailer(also use this on leather and basically every interior surface, really good) , occasionally clean with APC and protect with gtechniq C6

Leather: Dr. leather wipes/spray, protect with Gyeon leather coat or dr leather dye block

Glass and Screens: Krystal Kleen Detail glass cleaner, flashes off really nicely- no streaks

matts/carpets: just Hoover, protected with scotch guard

Smelly Beaver air freshener :P

Exterior

basically too many to name, whatever I feel like from whatever I have. Currently protected with Obsession Wax Phantom

8 hours ago, crispian said:

Aerospace 303 for the interior for me, can buff it up to a shine or wipe on wipe of if you like a matt look. Anti static too.

Meguires perfect clarity for the windows.

Have to try the Meguiars perfect clarity as loving the Ultimate wash and wax which works ok on the windows but does leave a bit of haze which am guessing is the wax.  Just a bit pricey I think for window cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/09/2016 at 5:17 PM, Rabbers said:

Ever tried plain water applied with one cloth and then immediately and energetically wiped off with another, repeating if necessary?

Thats the way we do the shower cubicle funny enough, and it works a treat. Micro fibre with damp cloth, and Glass cloth it dry.

19 hours ago, Deadloak said:

Thats the way we do the shower cubicle funny enough, and it works a treat. Micro fibre with damp cloth, and Glass cloth it dry.

Yes, plain water is effective in cleaning glass and, if you add a little mild soap, also plastic and leather.  Not only does it create no unwanted

gloss but, provided the cloths are properly washed and dried (or new), it is odourless and chemically neutral.  Of course, this minimalistic

approach to cleaning the car interior (and some of the exterior for that matter) does not work in the case of serious filth and grime when

the use of special-purpose products may be largely unavoidable.

• 5 years later...
On 2/18/2022 at 1:25 AM, agent_dess said:

Does anyone know what lexus detailing team use to clean interior when in for service? I loved the smell after picking car up.

Depends on the dealers valeters and which products they use. Best ask directly

• Like 1