Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So Is The Nx300H Actually Any Good?

Since taking delivery of our IS300H premier, we've been busy showing it off to some friends. One couple is interested in the NX300H, asked me what I thought of it...

We've been really impressed with the IS300H, decent power, decent mpg, and really good build quality despite what the reviewers say...but reading the reviews of the NX300H, they seem to be even worse than the IS300H.

Looking at this forum it also seems the NX300H does struggle for both performance and mpg....I suspect it will be slower than the IS, given theres a good 150kg more in weight, and a lot larger interms of aerodynamics.

So what's the impression from actual owners.....Are people generally happy with their NXs?

There seems to be lot of bias against Lexus in the motoring press, and I think most of the reviews I have read of the NX are not just unfair, but total nonsense. I ordered mine before the press got their hands on the vehicle, because if I had read those reviews before ordering, I may well have changed my mind. Yes the MPG isn't great, but owners seem to be getting much better figures now that the warmer weather has started to arrive. Performance in ECO mode is a little sedate, better in Normal mode, and quick when in Sports mode and using the paddle shifters properly. An independent test puts the 0-60 time at 7.7 for the NX 300H, which is considerably faster than the official figures, and very close to those of the IS 300H. I have just been looking at the full performance data of the NX 300H compared to my old Jaguar XF 3.0 Diesel (non S model), and the difference is marginal. Surprising for a heavy petrol SUV, but the amount of low down torque produced by the electric motors does put it close to V6 diesel territory when driven hard in Sports mode. I have no regrets buying the car. It is everything I had hoped it would be, although I remain disappointed at the marketing of the car, which means that some of the more desirable options are reserved exclusively for the Premier model, and therefore unavailable on the (IMHO) better looking F Sport model.

Agree. Autocar has done a test in the 200t and the main point was " this car needs a diesel but it has a petrol engine. So it's crap!"

Ignore the reviews and have an extended test drive and decide on the pros and cons.

If we all bought cars according to magazine reviews, we would all be driving German euroboxes.... Oh hang on!

I don't think a 2 litre diesel would haul the NX around as quickly or as quietly as the petrol turbo does. It would probably take a V6 3.0L diesel to produce similar performance figures, and I think the writing is on the wall for diesel cars, particularly those with larger engines. That's going to worry our German friends.

Thanks for the comments.

I love our IS300H, and glad we picked it over a diesel XF or Merc C class :)

Our friends hasn't bought a new car in 8 years, so I didn't want to advise them to get the NX300H and than be disappointed by it.

I'll happly go ahead and recommend them the car! On another note, are there any discounts around for a new NX? We got our IS300H through drivethedeal.com after advise from this forum....But I suppose the NX is still too new for discounts?

You can ask for a discount and the answer will be NO.

Have a look at broker websites and none of them are offering discounts.

Maybe if they wait for a year they might be able to negotiate a deal. Also some of the options that are currently unavailable on F sport might become available.

There are a couple of very low mileage white F Sports available for around £37,000 that have Premium Navigation, and that represents an approximate £3000 saving on new. However, as Bodmeister says, discounts on new ones aren't available, and there is a lengthy waiting list of people on the books who have paid the full price already.

There are a couple of very low mileage white F Sports available for around £37,000 that have Premium Navigation, and that represents an approximate £3000 saving on new. However, as Bodmeister says, discounts on new ones aren't available, and there is a lengthy waiting list of people on the books who have paid the full price already.

It depends on how eager you are to get one. Ive always managed to get a decent discount in the first year no matter what. I ordered mine a month after it launched in the UK (it took 3 weeks to get to a price I was happy to pay) and managed a 10% discount altogether which I was quite pleased with.

It depends on how hard you're willing to push the salesman. Give them a do-able figure and they'll take a few weeks but they'll get it done. In fact my dealer mentioned £3k off a new NX. May be to do with being a customer for exactly 10 years this year though!

If the waiting list for a dealer supplied car is 3-6 months depending on model and spec, I wonder how long the wait would be ordering through a broker. Anyone know how many NX's have been sold in the UK so far?

The NX in Japan has been a massive success. Nearing 9000 sales so far. Allocated cars for Asia have nearly all sold out

On the other hand NX sales in Europe have been very steady. UK sales have exceeded expections.

The NX is made in only one plant in Japan and is nearing capacity. Once the US sales machine kicks in,the waiting times will get longer.

• Like 1

The NX in Japan has been a massive success. Nearing 9000 sales so far. Allocated cars for Asia have nearly all sold out

On the other hand NX sales in Europe have been very steady. UK sales have exceeded expections.

The NX is made in only one plant in Japan and is nearing capacity. Once the US sales machine kicks in,the waiting times will get longer.

Sounds good for Lexus, I'm loving our IS300H.

Wouldn't take much to persuade me to swap the BMW for a GS/IS, but I want something with more grunt than the IS300H...I suspect the next generation GS450H wouldn't be due for a few years yet :( But I suppose the more cars Lexus sells, the bigger the development budget for future cars :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds good for Lexus, I'm loving our IS300H.

Wouldn't take much to persuade me to swap the BMW for a GS/IS, but I want something with more grunt than the IS300H...I suspect the next generation GS450H wouldn't be due for a few years yet :( But I suppose the more cars Lexus sells, the bigger the development budget for future cars :)

Im happy that Lexus remains a relatively rare sight compared to the usual German prestige brands, which i must admit are mostly very good cars, but are just too common nowadays. I read somewhere that back in the 80's BMW classed themselves as a premium niche brand, now I have heard that they refer to themselves in house as ' posh Fords' ;)

That's a pretty accurate description, except some of the new Ford models are nicer looking, just as reliable, better equipped and far cheaper. The new generation of ecoboost engines are also very impressive.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the F Sport for an hour or so yesterday and it's plenty good enough for me. Quick enough for positive around town driving in Normal, and in Sport mode plenty fast enough.

I liked the brake warning system, if you are accelerating towards the car in front and its braking, get too close and off does the dinger and warning signs come up. It'll then take over the braking if you don't react.

For me the ride was fine, appreciate that's very subjective. It had AVS and I must be hugely insensitive because I can't tell any difference at all when its on.

The golf clubs and trolley fit comfortably in the boot and the self closing lid is plenty fast enough.

The problem is getting one. The demonstrator I had has already been sold with only a £600 allowance off list. Delivery is now out to September and deals are not happening.

I think I will hang on for a bit, I love my IS but would take too big a hit to sell it now and buy a new NX. I think I'll hang on for a fore a while and see if the nearly news drop a bit more once supply increases a bit.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links