Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys and girls,

Will be upgrading from my IS200 sport to an IS250 this summer and was looking for some advise on which spec to look out for (considering I am not in a massive rush and can wait for the best model)

The Sport I currently own was the top spec of the Mk1 with small extras that made IMO a big diff.

What is the top spec for an IS250 2006 - and what do you get on top of other lower spec models? I believe the SE is top, though it was mid range in the Mk1?

I like the SR (naturally with factory bodykit) however it seems you sacrifice some luxuries inside (leather) in return for the exterior styling - what exactly is missing from an SR that an SE perhaps would have?

I am aware of the multi-media option which is desirable albeit rare.

Read also on here that the tax banding is a killer at some point in 2006 - can someone clear that up for me so that I can avoid £400pa tax please?

Any other advice for sourcing the right model/trim would be gratefully appreciated.

Bill

Cool thanks, seems to be plenty of those models about.

Probably stick my neck out for a SE-L Multimedia model. Can always add styling myself to match the SR (ish).

Anyone know about the tax changes? I notice an Auto is cheaper?

Check with every car you look at.

I believe there is a pre 2006 road tax of £285 on the manual gear box version. After that it rises to £460 odd.

The auto is £285 throughout as far as I know.

Try the auto box you will I think be very surprised and love it.

I had a 2001 is200 sport some years back.

Nothing would talk me back to a manual box in this car.

You can drive it as virtual manual using the stick or the paddles if you get the SEL variant. I do with mine every now and then ....it's good fun. It's the option to use when you want to overtake someone.

There are lots of posts on this forum relating to the different spec levels take a read thru them.

SE-L is the best spec to have with the Multimedia ( not really a rare option) as previously mentioned. The auto box is a delight, but bear in mind, on pre MY 09 cars the paddles do not work unless you shift to S mode on the auto box. Pre MY09 SE-L models all came with mahogany wood trim which may not be to your taste. SE and SR models came with a grey metal effect trim. Post MY09 SE-L model had the option of a black/grey wood trim depending on the exterior / interior colour choice.

Hi guys and girls,

Will be upgrading from my IS200 sport to an IS250 this summer and was looking for some advise on which spec to look out for (considering I am not in a massive rush and can wait for the best model)

I like the SR (naturally with factory bodykit) however it seems you sacrifice some luxuries inside (leather) in return for the exterior styling - what exactly is missing from an SR that an SE perhaps would have?

I am aware of the multi-media option which is desirable albeit rare.

Bill

The SE doesn't come with the bodykit of the SR as you have pointed out but does come with leather heated and electric and vented seats iirc.

I upgraded from my '200 Sport last year to a '56 SE-L, I haven't looked back.

The only options on the SE-L were Sunroof, Sat-Nav and ACC-PSC? (I think, anti-crash radar stuff), everything else is standard.

SE looses, seat memory stuff, stainless trim, rear blind, etc.

SR and or Sport models go for the bigger 18" wheels and exterior trim, but basically SE interior trim. (no 18's on the SE-L cuz its for comfort)

The F-Sport is basically the SE-L, with extra F-Sport trim but you couldn't get the sunroof, I asked.

Take your time, find the right one, look for a low mileage SE-L with sunroof and Sat-Nav, you won't regret it.

J.

I upgraded from my '200 Sport last year to a '56 SE-L, I haven't looked back.

The only options on the SE-L were Sunroof, Sat-Nav and ACC-PSC? (I think, anti-crash radar stuff), everything else is standard.

SE looses, seat memory stuff, stainless trim, rear blind, etc.

SR and or Sport models go for the bigger 18" wheels and exterior trim, but basically SE interior trim. (no 18's on the SE-L cuz its for comfort)

The F-Sport is basically the SE-L, with extra F-Sport trim but you couldn't get the sunroof, I asked.

Take your time, find the right one, look for a low mileage SE-L with sunroof and Sat-Nav, you won't regret it.

J.

Not sure what stainless steel trim the SE-L has that the SE does without. The Multimedia system was an option on all grades ( except the ISF where it was standard) and consisted of the reversing camera Sat Nav and Mark Levinson stereo system. Please note that for some reason the Mark Levinson system was no longer available on the MY11 cars with the 'Full Map' system consisting of the reversing camera and Sat Nav being the only option.

SR models did not come with 18" wheels as standard. pre MY09 SE-L came with 17" wheels but post MY09 models came with 18" wheels as standard

The F Sport was first released for the MY10. This sat below the SE-L model and came with heated leather and suede seats, electric front seats with both driver and passenger memory. Metal sport pedals, 18" Hoshi wheels ISF rear spoiler and front grill. MY11 cars lost the memory seats mirrors and steering wheel column but came with F SPORT 18" wheels and new front spoiler, which can be added to other MY11 grades.

• 2 weeks later...

One last thing, I really prefer the external styling of the SR however don't want to miss out on the luxury extras inside the SE-L.

Am I better to buy the SE-L and add some styling or buy an SR and add leather etc?

Which would be easiest to achieve?

Probably the best way forward as I know it is harder to add electronics etc than it is to stick exterior styling on.

Anyone have any links or recommend any suppliers for exterior styling? Can you buy the SR trim from Toyota?

I would ring around the dealers. They may have some if not all of the GFX kit available. Some of the dealers ( Birmingham & Edinburgh) have eBay stores and I have seen the front lips and side skirts listed on there from time to time

• 2 months later...

scroll back a page

you wont be able to put on all the SE-L bits, rear blind, memory seats, rain sensors, AFS and HID lights. etc

Better to buy a SE-L and get styling kit.

As long as it doesn't already have HIDs (ballast inside headlight unit) and you have the correct bulb fitting, you should be fine, although I think you have to drill holes through the covers and use grommits with the cables. Not sure about the connector tho.

Saw a video on utube.