Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

109Mph Caught By Police

ls400lpg

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but for me personally, I think the motorway speed limits are old fashioned. 70mph is pretty slow, don't know who drives at that speed nowadays anyway. I think a sensible figure would be 100mph tops - anyone over that gets instant ban and a jail sentence. It'll sort the clutter out on the motorways anyway

..... might create a little more clutter with road closures clearing debris and dead bodies too ..............

Inexperienced drivers getting caught up in 100mph chases on motorways would cause mayhem .............. and quite frankly, very few stretches of UK motorways are capable of sustaining such speeds imho

Malc

Works in Germany so not sure why we don't adopt the same approach.

Germany has totally different rules to UK regarding speed. Many people think that it is ok to drive at whatever speed they want in Germany which is a fallacy. There is an advisory limit of 130kph on motorway/dual carriageway type roads. Some have variable limits similar to parts of M25, M42 depending on weather & traffic.

Why do people think that in Germany you can drive at any speed on any road, its a complete fallacy.

The "rural roads" that don"t have a signed speed limit have an expectation that you will drive within the capabilities of your vehicle, your experience, the road conditions.......common sense et al.

Why do people think that in Germany you can drive at any speed on any road, its a complete fallacy.

The "rural roads" that don"t have a signed speed limit have an expectation that you will drive within the capabilities of your vehicle, your experience, the road conditions.......common sense et al.

That approach would definitely work in the UK on Motorways ONLY. Drive at speed capable of your car, if you wanna go at 130mph in a Corsa, so be it, but dont expect sympathy when you wrap your car around a tree and kill yourself.

..... might create a little more clutter with road closures clearing debris and dead bodies too ..............

Inexperienced drivers getting caught up in 100mph chases on motorways would cause mayhem .............. and quite frankly, very few stretches of UK motorways are capable of sustaining such speeds imho

Malc

Literally takes an hour to clean things up, its because the people doing it are incompetent and stand around with a finger up their backside. Doesnt help that communication sucks when these things happen.

That approach would definitely work in the UK on Motorways ONLY. Drive at speed capable of your car, if you wanna go at 130mph in a Corsa, so be it, but dont expect sympathy when you wrap your car around a tree and kill yourself.

Trouble is that they are quite likely to kill others too. Speed is not the killer, it is the idiots who drive beyond their capabilities and don't take note of road/traffic/weather conditions as well as the car/motorcycle they are supposed to be in control of.

Trouble is that they are quite likely to kill others too. Speed is not the killer, it is the idiots who drive beyond their capabilities and don't take note of road/traffic/weather conditions as well as the car/motorcycle they are supposed to be in control of.

Thats a good point. I suggest a good statistician needs to be consulted to see how many people have been in vehicles travelling at 70mph and at 100mph and seen how many survived in accidents to see how much difference it actually makes, if any

Thats a good point. I suggest a good statistician needs to be consulted to see how many people have been in vehicles travelling at 70mph and at 100mph and seen how many survived in accidents to see how much difference it actually makes, if any

The only time I have ever been in a car at 100+ mph was in an Audi Quattro full rally spec and it was driven by Stig Blomqvist, it was mainly on mud and the 100mph going around the corners we were doing well in excess of 100mph on the straighter bits of the track at Brands Hatch. I had been lucky enough to be invited to a press day when the sport was still taking off. Whats it like in a car like that on mud? terrifying, watching Stig Blomqvist work peddles. steering the throttle and hand brake all at the same time was poetry in motion. After the 2nd lap I calmed down and enjoyed what was left of the ride. I fell in love with the sound of that 5 cylinder engine so much so I went and bought one a few years later and I loved that engine. Mike.

Malc

Literally takes an hour to clean things up, its because the people doing it are incompetent and stand around with a finger up their backside. Doesnt help that communication sucks when these things happen.

The time at the scene of an accident/collision takes time due to the need to investigate the matter, render first aid et al.

Malc

The time at the scene of an accident/collision takes time due to the need to investigate the matter, render first aid et al.

With the cameras that are around today I cannot see any reason why one of their extremely expensive helicopters cant spend 10 to 15 mins flying over the crash site taking high definition pictures from various points of view which then can be used to work out what ever they need to and marry that up with the witness statements and whatever the wrecks can tell them back in the garage. There is no need in this modern day and age to have half a police force stood there doing nothing and blocking roads for hours sometimes days at a time. Mike.

• Like 1

A slight deviation here on the topic but has anyone else noticed the "site speed limits" imposed on road widening type jobs.

I have seen one section at 11 MPH and another at 9.5 MPH, now there has to be sensible limits when heavy plant is on the move but can your car actually be driven at 9.5 MPH.

Someone has obviously come up with these figures but in practical terms it must be near on impossible to speedo watch at 9.5 MPH.

• Like 1

A slight deviation here on the topic but has anyone else noticed the "site speed limits" imposed on road widening type jobs.

I have seen one section at 11 MPH and another at 9.5 MPH, now there has to be sensible limits when heavy plant is on the move but can your car actually be driven at 9.5 MPH.

Someone has obviously come up with these figures but in practical terms it must be near on impossible to speedo watch at 9.5 MPH.

I thought that might translate into KPH but that comes up with even weirder numbers. Mike.