Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 2004 - Rear Brake Disc Shields Rotted

Both of the rear disc brake dust shields have rotted on my 2004 Lexus RX300. Lexus want £330 plus VAT each for them so £800 for a pair and that doesn't include fitting! How can they justify that price for a piece of pressed metal?

The problem is that the lack of them is a MOT failure so I've only got until June to get them fitted. I found a breaker on eBay but the guy wants to sell them c/w the hubs for £100 each. I suppose that's not bad compared to Lexus parts but even so it's a bit steep and I don't need the hubs.

I can't think I'm alone in needing these but I can't find any reference on the net. I've tried eBay.com and alibaba without any luck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I notice my profile says 2006 LS430 but the above is for a 2004 RX300

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Who has told you these are an MOT failure?

If you can wait a couple of weeks for delivery these are available from Amayama.com for £138.78 each plus shipping and possible import VAT at 20%

Part numbers are 46503-33010 and 46504-33010

http://www.amayama.com/search?q=46503-33010

• Like 1

My RX300 2001 went the same way. Just had them removed, and been through several MOT's okay since then. Run the risk of small stones getting in I guess, but been like that 3(?) ish years now without any other problems.

Had the same prob on an Mr2 a while ago, just removed them for the MoT, then sourced some cheap ones from a breaker in OK conditioned, de-rusted and hammerited them and fitted as I preferred to have them fitted!

Thanks to everyone for their prompt replies.

The question of MOT is an interesting one. On the last one in June 14, the corrosion on the dust covers was listed as an advisory. In addition, my nephew owns the MOT test centre and he's told me it's a failure. However Markrat says that he's taken them off and his car has passed since. I know MOT test Centres are far more strict now but perhaps it's one of those things that can get missed.

I could do with hearing from someone who's actually sourced some replacements?

It may be because that the MOT tester considered it to be corrosion of the braking components, of which the back plate is part of it. Remove it and it's not rusty anymore, so can't fail. I'd go elsewhere for an MOT in future. Plenty info if you google.

Pete

• Like 2

It may be because that the MOT tester considered it to be corrosion of the braking components, of which the back plate is part of it. Remove it and it's not rusty anymore, so can't fail. I'd go elsewhere for an MOT in future. Plenty info if you google.

Pete

Totally agree m8 ...

If it's any help - when this came up with me, I asked the testing garage whether removing them would negate the failure notice, and they said yes. I asked them to do this, and then they passed it. To support what Pete said earlier - because they were present and corroded, they had to fail it they said. However, as they were unnecessary for satisfactory brake function, their absence would not result in a failure notice.

It's since been through two further MOT's since, with two different test stations, and passed okay with the plates missing. I had expected to the brakes possibly to deteriorate faster than before, as I use the car on sand and rough ground for work, but so far there doesn't seem to have been any noticeable effect from having these removed, so I haven't made any attempt to replace them at all.

Regards,

Mark

• Like 1

I guess it's much the same case as with a spare wheel, if the spare wheel is in the trunk and the tyre is bald, MoT fail............if no spare wheel present, MoT pass.

Such are the wonders of the law :whistling:

Ok thanks for your help. Since he quoted you it's now up to £150. Still on car and no guarantee of condition. No refund if damaged or unsuitable. Will just keep looking but thanks for your response. Mike

• 3 weeks later...

hi...i ordered these thru amayama trading, original toyota parts, fraction of the lexus quoted price , takes a couple of weeks for delivery, from singapore, part numbers have been listed in post further back on this thread. Also worth noting...they sell the calliper pins for a fraction of Lexus's prices too....add them on as sure as anything you will need them soon....

hope this helps.

G

Thanks for the info. Ended up cutting away the shield as per some previous advice on the forum. For anyone else trying this themselves the hardest part was getting the hub out of the back plate. Tried hammering then soaking overnight. Next day still no joy. Tried a hydrolic pulley stilll no luck. Ended up heating with a blow torch putting on a bench and using a drift and a sledge hammer. Finally went on third heating drifting and considerable swearing and cursing. At least I will be prepared when the other side inevitably goes. All quiet for now though.

Thanks for help and advise.

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say 'thanks' for this thread.

Just had the same on my 2004 RX300 with my mechanic quoted £350 each side from Lexus for new covers.

I was just sourcing cheaper prices and came across this thread, so appreciate the fix of removing them.

My mechanic does the MOT himself so he is happy to remove the covers and pass it, just leaving new cables being fitted for the MOT pass.

Q. Are brake disk shields different from brake shims?

Sorry for the ill-informed question...

If i understand you correctly..... The shims fit basically in beside the disc pads inside the calliper, stops vibrations and squeal,  the disc shields, are like steel dinner plates that sit behind the rear discs, they also hold all the mechanics of the internal shoes for the parking brake.  I have passed a few MOT's with one rotten dust shield. If you remove the rotten bit apparently they can't fail whats not there. If its rusty and flapping then it seems it can be deemed a fail. I got replacements thru amayama trading for a fraction of the price ( from memory around £200 or so the pair I can check back if it helps! ) well worth looking at IMHO... ! 

Lexus quoted £350 each with 5% discount, eBay was £230 each, Amayama £158 each plus duty / VAT? with 2 weeks delivery.

TBH we don't use the Lexus much now, but it serves as our most dependable vehicle and we are far too attached to it to sell it.

The irony is the handbrake only gets operated once a year for the MOT.............

Thats interesting about the pricing, in nov 2014 i was quoted over £400 each from lexus Glasgow and i paid £88 each from Amayama, plus postage and import tax. 

BTW... From experience, use the parking brake more regularly, seriously, Lexus and my subsequent MOT guy both told me ages ago that the parking brake shoes tend to "bind on" as a result of the lack of/occasional use. Most of us stick in P to park up don't we, no parking brake  ! !    Then, when the MOT guy tests the parking brake by stamping it on...it sticks, and fails the MOT...and makes for a real shock when £50 or so doesn't cover the mot this time ... was told this was pretty common with RX's ..maybe with other pedal operated parking brakes too !!!

The new cable and parts are pretty costly, if i remember its a kind of two piece Y arrangement. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2015 at 7:13 PM, steve2006 said:

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Who has told you these are an MOT failure?

If you can wait a couple of weeks for delivery these are available from Amayama.com for £138.78 each plus shipping and possible import VAT at 20%

Part numbers are 46503-33010 and 46504-33010

http://www.amayama.com/search?q=46503-33010

I know this is an old thread but useful. My 2007 RX400h has a corroded back plate and the quote is horrendous with Lexus parts or e-Bay. Does anyone know what the duty/VAT on these Amayama parts works out to?

Thanks

David

The import price is currently £178 plus VAT plus duties. They are available online on eBay for £228 so no big difference and less hassle. However the garage found one of mine is fine and repaired the other one with some minor welding. They are also an MOT station so clear there.

Thanks all

David

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links