Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bridgestone Potenza Re031 "1Z/az?" Rx400H

Mr Pants!

Hello all,

I have a Lexus RX400h, I am about to buy 4 new tyres as my winters are finished now.

I am going to go with the recommended tyres from Lexus, which are the Bridgestone Potenza RE031, however I have come across another type of RE031 which has the following written on them "AZ/1Z" has anyone heard of this? If so what is the difference between the AZ/1Z and normal ones?

Also whereever I look they say the RE031 is for the RX330, which I guess is a US type of Lexus, does that mean its not for the RX400h?

I was looking at all sorts of other makes of tyres, but I think I will stick with what the car came with as it seems to drive well on them...

Thank you in advance...

PS sorry got the title wrong its AZ/1Z

Sorry not sure about the AZ/1Z. IMO the RE031 isn't a great tyre, Lexus rarely use good tyres as their OEM choice.

Thanks for the reply

What do you recommend? I looked at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, but they are all out of stock for the next 8 weeks, then one of the tyre fitters said they don't wear well and I am better off sticking with the OEM ones.

Michelin's are normally quite hard wearing so I'm surprised they don't wear, but I've never been a fan of them anyway.

On my 400h I replaced the tyres twice, the first time I went with the OEMs mainly because there weren't too many options available in the required size. In the last few years there seems to be more choice. The second time I used Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV which I feel were an improvement - that was a couple of years ago so don't know if they are still an option.

Evaluating tyres is very subjective, you never get a chance to test them back to back and whatever you get are normally always an improvement on what you are replacing as tyres tend to get noisier with age etc.

Yes Colin, I agree its subjective....

My winter tyres are a lot quieter than the potenza's but I have to say the car feels more wollowy to me on these, a little vague on cornering.

Its a mine field and everyone seems to have their own opinions of what is good/bad

Sorry not sure about the AZ/1Z. IMO the RE031 isn't a great tyre, Lexus rarely use good tyres as their OEM choice.

Thanks for the reply

What do you recommend? I looked at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP, but they are all out of stock for the next 8 weeks, then one of the tyre fitters said they don't wear well and I am better off sticking with the OEM ones.

Thanks for the reply

The tyre fitters talking trash lol. They want to sell the tyre which has the highest profit, not the best tyre. The best thing to do is not to trust any tyre fitters and look at online reviews. From reading the reviews youll have an all round perspective instead of just the tyre fitters, who may or may not be trying to make a greater profit.

Besides, how would a tyre fitter know if a tyre wears well or not? Its not like he's driving the car lol

The OEM tyres are rated E for fuel efficiency and E for wet too. 71db for noise is about average however. The Michelin's are great tyres, good grip, good efficiency and eerily quiet

• 2 months later...

I will be looking for 2 new front tyres for my rx 400h soon too and I think it has the potenzas on at the mo. I just searched google for best tyre for lexus rx400h and this is one of the review sites I found:-

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyres_For/Lexus/RX400.htm

I usually check online and research reviews before going to my local event tyres guys in old trafford Manchester and they usually advise if I am right or not. They are pretty decent guys and they have been right most of the times I've have asked. You could add the word review to the end of the search and get just reviews.

My car needs aligning at the moment as it is pulling to the right. I might seek their advise this w/e then research the tyre they recommend.

Regards

Ayaz

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links