Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres Question Even Though Winter Is Over!

Hi all - just been to look at a lovely 2008 ISF today and am very tempted.

Have seen a few threads and various views about using winter tyres versus not using the car in snow but the reality for me is that I will definitely need a set if I purchase the car. Has anyone managed to get them onto a smaller set of wheels successfully? Thanks

Nick

Never known anyone putting smaller wheels on an ISF the brake clearance would be a problem. The ISF is terrible in the snow so if you are planning on driving in such conditions then winter tyres are a must.

Which one have you had a look at?

Just a suggestion try all season tyres,a compromise between summer and winter tyres,currently running vredestein quatrac 3 on my IS 200 and they are pretty good

I currently own a B7 S4 (V8) Audi which has quattro 4wd and I have my winter tyres on. While I live in Wiltshire, there aint any snow or anything, but they really did make a difference in the cold weather for traction. They really are a very very good thing to put on a car - especially one thats rwd! They can actually be used quite well all year long in the UK, but they do have slightly less braking ability than summer tyres in the hot dry days, but its not far off. In the winter/cold mornings, there is no contest.

i have also found that mine did have more road noise (especially on tight, low speed turns) than my summer tyres. I cant remember the make of winters that I am running. My summers are usually goodyear eagle f1 asymmetrical 2.

Also, dont bother buying them brand new. You can find second hand tyres with minimal usage for a good discount. My winters were second hand from Germany (got it on eBay uk!) with nearly full tread depth on all four. They still had the tyre hairs! And I saved about £400!

I've got winters on The Family Fleet. Peace of mind in cold and rain, doesn't have to be snow. About to swap back to normal tyres although its still pretty cold and wet at the moment. my Tyre chap stores the sets not in use. Cost is annoying at the time he changes them but compared to say 500 road tax its neither here nor there (it all adds up mind). ....so I use normal rims.

Thanks guys for your responses - some food for thought. My local national tyres garage kindly store my wheels and change them over for no cost - in return I get my tyres (and my wife's) from them.

Didn't consider running winters all year round but could be an option - I wonder how much real world difference there would be e.g. Winter tyres on a baking hot summers day - not that we have many of them.

The car I was looking at is now off Autotrader. TBH - I am stuck in indecision at the moment - have tested a Merc E500 (2010 model) and a E350 cdi (2012) but both left me.a bit cold. Not driven the ISF yet so guess that could make my mind up if/when I do. Other thing I am looking at is LS600 - so you can see that the decision is far from clear cut. Sad as it sounds I am really connected with my LS400 - bought it for a one year experiment 12 years ago and now with 250k on the clock it still puts a smile on my face. Decisions, decisions.

all round tyres would work all year. But not winters in the summer as they'll overheat and you'll have no grip... And they will wear out really quickly as the rubber is way too soft for tarmac which is 50' and baking in the sun. wide choice of cars there! Isf is a different class because of the power and noise. You only live once...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links