Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel strength

dark_is200

Currently thinking of getting some 19s but I'm a bit worried about damaging them, I live in London and we have some pretty bad roads.

Driving home today hit a pot hole at about 30mph which was enough to bottom out the front left suspension (I have the Hiper's set on the hard side of medium) didn't do any damage but does anyone think that this sort of pot hole might damage 19s?

Depends on the wheel - some designs are stronger than others. Obviously you have less rim protection when going very low profile.

Super Legras are a superb looking wheel with the advantage of being very light - however the open design and the lightness also means less strength and hitting a pothole hard means risk of causing damage.

I know of lots of Scooby drivers that have damaged these wheels - I wouldn't hesitate to put them on my CRX though as I don't drive on bad roads - and if I do, I take it easy so if I am forced to hit a bad part of the road - I can do it at a slower speed.

Are 19's okay on the IS200 ?? As in handling I mean???

Well here's a thought... since the country is going litigation mad and supposedly we can take local councils to court if a pedestrian trips over a pot hole or uneven road surface.... we should be able to do the same for damage sustained from pot holes?

On a similar topic.... speed bumps are a pain and some of them are worse than others, in particular, one near where I live I'm sure causes damage to my car no matter what speed I go over them... :mad:

You can indeed - a friend of mine successfully sued her local council many years ago when she got damage to her alloy with deep pothole just around a tight bend on a tight road - no chance to miss it if another car coming.... 60mph road, but due to surface, she was doing about 40mph.

She placed a cigerette pack in the hole to show scale and took a picture with the disposable camera she keeps in the glove box - good job she had it, as the council repaired the hole the day after she hit it!!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links