Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Introducing The 2016 Rx!

That front grille is offensive. It screams "I'VE GOT THE BIGGEST GRILLE EVER AND THEREFORE ALSO THE LARGEST *****".

I thought a Lexus like this was all about class, refinement, sophistication. It appears with this RX that they're just trying to out-***** Audi.

Exactly. I'm afraid that a lot of the yobs that drive Audi's are unfortunately going to be very attracted to this new Lexus grill. Lexus just seems to be desperate to attract any kind of attention it can get to their brand.

Haha YOBS would never buy a Lexus. They seem to be going to RR Sport at the moment lmao

Good point. Just got to hope they have to drive past both the Audi and Land Rover dealerships before they get to the Lexus one!

The hybrid nature will put yobs off straight away because they cant rev it at a standstill ha

I for one love the looks. At least it's different. I also like the visible exhaust outlets that hint at the performance... although I suspect they might be fake.

Not sure about the tail lights... They remind me of a Nissan Qashqai or Hyundai x35. I wish they were slimmer like the headlights.

Interior looks gorgeous.

Any idea how the size and interior space compare with the current model?

I for one love the looks. At least it's different. I also like the visible exhaust outlets that hint at the performance... although I suspect they might be fake.

Not sure about the tail lights... They remind me of a Nissan Qashqai or Hyundai x35. I wish they were slimmer like the headlights.

Interior looks gorgeous.

Any idea how the size and interior space compare with the current model?

I also love the looks of it - very aggressive and certainly distinctive. You wouldnt mistake it for another Audi, BMW etc

The visible exhausts are only available on the RX350 so we wont be seeing them on this side of the pond.

Figures havent been released on the interior space but the wheelbase has been increased by 2 inches and the whole car is longer by 5 inches. Width remains unchanged and its got slightly lower by half an inch. Just by looking at the pictures, it appears that the interior size is almost certainly increased.

Well, it is not the grille that is spoiling the new RX - it is more the plastic arches and maybe rear lights. I would say, if not looking at the front of this car, from the rear it is now like a conclusion of a Qashqai and Hyunday x35 as someone said... Oh well. I also think that the new Audi Q7 front dashboard is much nicer, but the exterior is downright boring and ugly... Older Q7 looks way nicer! I guess I just like smooth shapes better than sharp ones...

Looks like they've done a bit of a rush job on it, but they had to something due to how ugly the the old Rx 450 looks next to an Nx ...

Whats going on with the citroen rear quarter panels and the weird little windows ? & the "plain jane" back looks like it has been cut off a kia or hyundai & stuck on ... very random. ... I know it's not everyones cup of tea but the grille is better than the old one imho.

Looks like they've done a bit of a rush job on it, but they had to something due to how ugly the the old Rx 450 looks next to an Nx ...

Whats going on with the citroen rear quarter panels and the weird little windows ? & the "plain jane" back looks like it has been cut off a kia or hyundai & stuck on ... very random. ... I know it's not everyones cup of tea but the grille is better than the old one imho.

I've seen the car in person last year at a meeting and let me assure you, it looks insane. Pictures don't do justice to any element of the design and the cuts and creases don't show up as well. The whole car looks great in person and the proportions makes it all fit together. These proportions can't be visualised from the pictures

if I remember correctly it also had turn signals which slide across from inside to outside like KITT. There are so many little details that can't be seen in the pictures too.

It's typical human nature to criticise changes. It happens with every model and eventually it'll get accepted.

It also appears that the younger audience tend to like these futuristic designs and the older folk keep complaining so I can definitely see sales growing, especially in the States.

• Like 1

I like it. Good to see a refreshing design. Just like the MK2 RX with the coupe/4x4 looked like no other car of its class and today still looks great, not dated at all.

It happens with every model and eventually it'll get accepted.

I don't know many that didn't think the series II was an improvement over the series I. The series III is too American looking for me. I think the series IV is an improvement, just that the front grille is a bit OTT.

It happens with every model and eventually it'll get accepted.

I don't know many that didn't think the series II was an improvement over the series I. The series III is too American looking for me. I think the series IV is an improvement, just that the front grille is a bit OTT.

But the design didnt have anything polarising about it so it was instantly accepted, just like the German cars are accepted as soon as they land at showrooms.

There were a lot of people who said the NX is awful when it first came out but its grown on people now.

front grille looks awful, thank goodness that the UK requires a front number plate to break it up.

I think this is the best RX for a very long time, wonderful inside treatment and the rear is gorgeous, but that front.....it all goes wrong there, what happened did they leave the grill treatment to a kitchen implement designer? :yahoo:

if I remember correctly it also had turn signals which slide across from inside to outside like KITT.

So they have finally caught up with Audi then? :whistling:

Only been a few months or so since Audi made them standard on some models. Hardly a long time, especially since this RX has been in development since 2009.

As for the grill, I'd rather have a Japanese kitchen implement designer do their magic on it that a German boiler casing designer 😊

I think they have been on the A8 since about 2013..........never mind, best boilers in the world are German :D

Available with certain options, yes but they weren't standard. They're were standard on the A8 in 2014 and on the A7 on the recent face lift.

They might be, but why would you choose one over the other? Lol. It's pretty much on brand name isn't it?

I've seen the car in person last year at a meeting and let me assure you, it looks insane. Pictures don't do justice to any element of the design and the cuts and creases don't show up as well. The whole car looks great in person and the proportions makes it all fit together. These proportions can't be visualised from the pictures

if I remember correctly it also had turn signals which slide across from inside to outside like KITT. There are so many little details that can't be seen in the pictures too.

It's typical human nature to criticise changes. It happens with every model and eventually it'll get accepted.

It also appears that the younger audience tend to like these futuristic designs and the older folk keep complaining so I can definitely see sales growing, especially in the States.

I love futuristic designs but I feel Lexus has missed the mark with this one, the grille is Lexus but apart from that I find the rest of the car hard to identify, the rear quarters are the same as the new nissan murano, the back could be off anything & the sills are too fussy, no special design wheels ... even if they're going for the younger market I think the Nx would take that first, the new grand cherokee & cayenne are closer to the mark on styling whilst retaining thier identity imho ... ... I love the Nx styling but can't say the same on this one ... does it have any new tech ?

I think it's perfectly identifiable. The red part of the rear lights are modifications of the RC and the actual shape of the headlights look similiar to the GS. The grill is pretty obvious and the high shoulder line is on all Lexus vehicles. The cuts at the bottom of the doors are similiar to the NX too. I can't see how the rear looks anything like the murano. It might have a floating roof but it hardly looks similiar. Besides, murano isn't available in UK is it?

the 3.5l engine on the hybrid is new with more torque lower down and across the whole rev range. No mention of a 4th gen hybrid system but they hardly mentioned any details. It's also coming with a hand wave tailgate opening system and rear seats are heated now. Rear seat folding is also powered on certain model and F-Sport gets AVS and an active stabiliser as standard. 360 degree panoramic view is new on the RX and the safety system + too which includes pedestrian detection, ACC, automatic high beams and unintended lane change notification. A full opening panoramic sunroof is also available now.

There'll probably be more but they kept it very short in New York

We will have to wait for more information but the lack of anything meaningful probably suggests there is very little innovation here other than styling. This is no 'all new' RX just a update to the existing.

It certainly isn't a 4th gen hybrid system, the engine isn't new just a minor rework of what is already there with a meaningless 5 hp more. Toyota have already said they have no immediate plans to implement CarPlay/Android Auto so we will have the same old slow, bug ridden, and unintuitive infotainment system.

Other things new to the RX just seem to be updating the old to current Lexus standards, for example an AVS option and the PCS/ACC system gets auto high beams and lane assist which is standard on all NXs and an option on the IS.

Hopefully all the things that were mentioned on the launch will be on the UK vehicles but Toyota GB/Europe have a habit of omitting certain things that are available the US and Japan.

• Like 1

We will have to wait for more information but the lack of anything meaningful probably suggests there is very little innovation here other than styling. This is no 'all new' RX just a update to the existing.

It certainly isn't a 4th gen hybrid system, the engine isn't new just a minor rework of what is already there with a meaningless 5 hp more. Toyota have already said they have no immediate plans to implement CarPlay/Android Auto so we will have the same old slow, bug ridden, and unintuitive infotainment system.

Other things new to the RX just seem to be updating the old to current Lexus standards, for example an AVS option and the PCS/ACC system gets auto high beams and lane assist which is standard on all NXs and an option on the IS.

Hopefully all the things that were mentioned on the launch will be on the UK vehicles but Toyota GB/Europe have a habit of omitting certain things that are available the US and Japan.

The 3.5l engine in the RX350 and 450h are retained, youre correct.

The 350 makes 30hp more and is now rated at 300hp WITH more torque lower down and across the whole rev range. They havent mentioned whether it will switch to atkinson cycle when coasting however (they did say its been tuned to extract maximum efficiency). The RX uses the same engine on an atkinson cycle like it does in the current RX but there is no word on the hybrid setup at all which could mean that they are using the current setup or they are hiding something. Referring to the RX450h they said "when combined with the electric motor generator, the combined output results in around 300 hp". Around 300hp is very vague, it could be 295hp, exactly 300hp or even 310hp.

I guess another "new" thing to mention is the Michelin Tyres which are standard fit. As the tyre wears, the rain grooves widen to counteract depth in order to retain wet grip.

Looks like the safety features won't be standard on the US models however the package will be less than $650.

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/2015+nyias+lexus+rx+reveal+templin+bracken.htm

One new feature which sounds cool is the touch free tailgate, just hold your hand over the Lexus logo and it will automatically open.

One new feature which sounds cool is the touch free tailgate, just hold your hand over the Lexus logo and it will automatically open.

Well at least you won't have to stand on one leg to open the "touchless" hatch like Ford have had for the past few years, then again it is handy if both hands are carrying bags..........only handy if you are carrying one bag for the Lexus :winky:

Might be fun in the super market car park waving your hand around as you say Sim Salubim and the hatch glides open :D

Well at least you won't have to stand on one leg to open the "touchless" hatch like Ford have had for the past few years, then again it is handy if both hands are carrying bags..........only handy if you are carrying one bag for the Lexus :winky:

I'm assuming that your arm will work too so hopefully it will be of use when both hands are full. Otherwise it seems a bit redundant, if you have a hand free you can press the tailgate button on the remote or operate the release button.

Should be able to detect anything really. I don't think it'll be super sophisticated that it needs a hand and a hand only.

I forgot to mention, Lexus confirmed a few months ago that the doors, the bonnet and the tailgate are going to be aluminium in order to save weight. From my calculations, it appears to save about 160kg in metal weight. If they'll offset that with more dense materials somewhere else is a mystery!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links