Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Checked Out Infiniti Q50?

DJP

David. As somebody mentioned earlier, the Q50 Hybrid is all about performance rather than economy, although it still gets very good mpg for a 3.5 V6.. So, the car is phenomenally quick, gets mpg figures close to those being reported from NX owners (including myself). A winner in many departments, but too much of a gamble without that all important long term after sales back up. I wish Lexus offered the IS as a 3.5 V6 hybrid, and with the same massive standard spec offered by Infiniti. What a great combination that would be,

David. As somebody mentioned earlier, the Q50 Hybrid is all about performance rather than economy, although it still gets very good mpg for a 3.5 V6.. So, the car is phenomenally quick, gets mpg figures close to those being reported from NX owners (including myself). A winner in many departments, but too much of a gamble without that all important long term after sales back up. I wish Lexus offered the IS as a 3.5 V6 hybrid, and with the same massive standard spec offered by Infiniti. What a great combination that would be,

I agree, the nearest is the 450h and it's too big for my needs. And having ventured down the hybrid route I don't think the NX 2.0T is for me. First world problems, as my daughter would say!

Sent from my iPad using Lexus OC

You are right, the 450h is too big, and rather shapeless and unattractive (IMHO). Actually my daughter's partner has just ordered an NX 200T. I tried to persuade him to go for the hybrid, but he said he was too much of a petrol head. I think the 200T is a bad choice because performance wise it is barely quicker than the hybrid, and during in town driving, using the torque from the electric motors, it is probably no quicker than the 300H at all. Add to that the higher tax, insurance, fuel costs etc, and it doesn't seem that sensible. Even the dealer told him it was the first 200 they had sold in the entire group, and he still signed on the dotted line. If there is so little demand for the car now, it's likely to have lost value quicker than the hybrid when it is time to sell. Now if Lexus had given it the 2.5 engine from the 300H, and then added the turbos or a supercharger, it might have been a different matter.

• Like 1

You are right, the 450h is too big, and rather shapeless and unattractive (IMHO). Actually my daughter's partner has just ordered an NX 200T. I tried to persuade him to go for the hybrid, but he said he was too much of a petrol head. I think the 200T is a bad choice because performance wise it is barely quicker than the hybrid, and during in town driving, using the torque from the electric motors, it is probably no quicker than the 300H at all. Add to that the higher tax, insurance, fuel costs etc, and it doesn't seem that sensible. Even the dealer told him it was the first 200 they had sold in the entire group, and he still signed on the dotted line. If there is so little demand for the car now, it's likely to have lost value quicker than the hybrid when it is time to sell. Now if Lexus had given it the 2.5 engine from the 300H, and then added the turbos or a supercharger, it might have been a different matter.

With the F-Sport package I still think the GS looks better than the Q50 though. Its 3 years old due for a refresh next year by the looks of it after the GS-F comes out around october time. Hmm, I have just driven a 200t and I will disagree im afraid. It does feel very spritely when you put your foot down on the B roads. In town, its not much quicker but on an open road it goes like stink. It feels faster than the 450h in my RX!

Fuel economy was an ok 30mpg as well. Perhaps Lexus could put the 2.0t with the hybrid setup, call it the NX300ht and that should solve everything.

Got to disagree on the 'barely quicker' quote. Seen one a race circuit and it absolutely annihilated the 300h.

Funny you should mention it feeling faster than your RX450H, because I never thought my RX felt as quick as the official figures stated - (which I believe are 7.8, but sub 7 secs to 60 in a couple of tests I've read). On the other hand my NX 300H feels very quick indeed, and you say that the 200T does too. Perhaps the NX is just one of those cars that gives an impression that you are travelling faster than you actually are, because the 300H is definitely slower than the RX, and the 200T hasn't managed a sub 7 sec run in any of the reviews I've read so far. So, in a straight line race the RX should manage to out perform the 200T if the tests are correct.

Just for info, these two sets of three test runs (0-60) were done by Autobytel on the 200T and the 300H. If they are to be believed, there is virtually nothing between the two models.

Funny you should mention it feeling faster than your RX450H, because I never thought my RX felt as quick as the official figures stated - (which I believe are 7.8, but sub 7 secs to 60 in a couple of tests I've read). On the other hand my NX 300H feels very quick indeed, and you say that the 200T does too. Perhaps the NX is just one of those cars that gives an impression that you are travelling faster than you actually are, because the 300H is definitely slower than the RX, and the 200T hasn't managed a sub 7 sec run in any of the reviews I've read so far. So, in a straight line race the RX should manage to out perform the 200T if the tests are correct.

Auto express got 6.8s for the 200t :)

Yeah, at first I thought they had tested the hybrid twice by mistake, but the G Force meter, engine sound and lack of CVT noise rule that out. I'd say 6.8 is more like it.

My two pence worth. I actually was a FX37 owner for nearly three years and traded it in for a NX.

Positives:

1) Very quick for such a big car.

2) all the toys included. Heated/vent seats. Panoramic camera, lane departure etc.

3) The attention the car got ( good and bad!)

Negatives

1) The interior was terrible. The new CT will put it to shame, and I really mean that. Plastic rubbish everywhere.

2) Servicing costs are astronomical as well as road tax. Replaced the tyres (21 Dunlops ) at a cost of £1400. Apparently at that time these particular tyres were the only option.

4) No extended warranty. This is a big let down as its a massively complicated car.

3) Very cumbersome at low speeds.

I also had a Q50 hybrid for a 36 hour extended test drive and most of the toys from the FX were present in the Q50.

The powertrain is good. The steering is awful imo.

The dual screen interface is very buggy and suffered from really bad lag aka 2008 smartphones.

The IS300h/GS300h is a superior choice.

Hi Amit. Any luck getting your NX fully repaired yet? I have been meaning to ask you, do you think the additional kit in the Premier is worth the extra £4 or £5k?? I must say I sometimes struggle with all the bings, bongs, chimes and flashing messages in my F Sport, and I don't know if I could cope with flashing lights in mirrors, lane departure warnings, HUD info etc on top of that. Are you still pleased you went with Premier spec, and how easy to understand is the information from the panoramic cameras? I've had surround view before and found what was displayed on screen utterly confusing!!

Hi Lee , sorry for the tardiness. The NX is still in the bodyshop ( absolute bloody nightmare). Will be done next Tuesday hopefully.

Re the Premiere. The extra kit is DEFINITELY not worth it. Only addition worth of note is the HUD and Panoramic view camera. Also you don't get paddle shifters or AVS.

The panoramic camera works brilliantly, unlike the BMW version. I'm with you on the chimes and beeping. Sometimes very confusing, but the camera works beautifully on the NX.

I think the Premier trim works better on the RX and GS.

Would I buy the Premier again ? No I wouldn't. I should have waited for the RX.

Are you thinking of swapping? I'm waiting for the RX pricing then making a decision.

I had considered it, but the dealers want too much to upgrade, and frankly I don't think it's worth it. I had the chance of a Premier when I bought my car, and it was only a couple of thousand more, but didn't do it. Now they want £4k, and although the cameras and HUD would be nice, it's a lot of money to pay out, and I probably wouldn't see the benefit when I came to sell. I am also looking forward to seeing the new RX, but think a Premier spec is likely to be close to £60k. Hope you get your car back Tuesday and all is OK!

Weird is right. I don't know who took the decision to withhold all the top-end options from all models but the Premier, but I'm sure it's a deal breaker to quite a few potential owners. Then having done that they made the F Sport grille non-interchangeable with the Premier, and took away the paddle shifters too. Crazy!! I believe it is totally different in the States where they can spec an F Sport with whatever they want, but the HUD is unavailable on all models because it hasn't been safety approved. Odd as Lexus already offer it on the U.S GS and RX.

It's the same with the GS F sport as well. In Europe and the US you can have LED headlights, HUD , night vision etc. But on the UK version you can't.

If the options were available on the NX F sport then I would have gone with that.

Does anyone know which bright spark made the decision on the marketing for the NX for the UK?!!

Well I would have got an NX as the size is more manageable in town. But I didnt want less equipment than I already have so no ML pretty struck the NX off. I would have bought brand new as well, probably white/red with pan roof, full nav, ML + panoramic camera system.

I was worried that the 10 Speaker Pioneer system in the F Sport that comes with the Premium Navigation wouldn't be that good, but I was surprised. I know the ML system is supposed to improve playback from MP3, but mine sound just fine on the Pioneer system. I note that when Will.i.am was asked to create his own unique NX (which is all over the internet if you haven't seen it), he chose the Pioneer system for the car.

I'm actually starting to have serious reservations about the NX though. The fuel economy is diabolical - I average between 28-32mpg with gentle driving. Even those lucky owners who have achieved the dizzying heights of 40 mpg should still regard it as poor. I mean you can get better economy from a V6 diesel, and as I'm sure Rayaan will confirm, from the much larger 3.5L RX. I think it undermines what is supposed to be one of the main benefits of owning a hybrid car - fuel economy.

To add to my dissatisfaction I have had the opportunity of driving my father in laws Volvo V60 Hybrid over the weekend. I've never owned a Volvo, and have no idea whether they are as dependable as Lexus, but I had a very good look over it, and thought it felt equal in build and materials quality to the NX. As for the performance, it just blows the NX out of the water (0-60 in 6 seconds), and the mpg figures I achieved were more than double that of the NX (79 mpg when I checked) Of course the V60 is a plug in hybrid, but can achieve around 25-30 miles on a single 4 hour charge before the 2.4 diesel comes into play. Makes me think that if you can achieve that level of performance and economy, then plug in hybrids are a much better option than what Lexus offer. I'm sorely tempted to look into the Volvo further, especially reliability and after sales costs. The cars are north of £50k new, but at that price they come with all loads of options like Adaptive cruise, LD warning, Blind spot, Adaptive lights etc. A used example just a few months old can be had for well under £40k, with very low mileage. Hmm!!

I was worried that the 10 Speaker Pioneer system in the F Sport that comes with the Premium Navigation wouldn't be that good, but I was surprised. I know the ML system is supposed to improve playback from MP3, but mine sound just fine on the Pioneer system. I note that when Will.i.am was asked to create his own unique NX (which is all over the internet if you haven't seen it), he chose the Pioneer system for the car.

I'm actually starting to have serious reservations about the NX though. The fuel economy is diabolical - I average between 28-32mpg with gentle driving. Even those lucky owners who have achieved the dizzying heights of 40 mpg should still regard it as poor. I mean you can get better economy from a V6 diesel, and as I'm sure Rayaan will confirm, from the much larger 3.5L RX. I think it undermines what is supposed to be one of the main benefits of owning a hybrid car - fuel economy.

To add to my dissatisfaction I have had the opportunity of driving my father in laws Volvo V60 Hybrid over the weekend. I've never owned a Volvo, and have no idea whether they are as dependable as Lexus, but I had a very good look over it, and thought it felt equal in build and materials quality to the NX. As for the performance, it just blows the NX out of the water (0-60 in 6 seconds), and the mpg figures I achieved were more than double that of the NX (79 mpg when I checked) Of course the V60 is a plug in hybrid, but can achieve around 25-30 miles on a single 4 hour charge before the 2.4 diesel comes into play. Makes me think that if you can achieve that level of performance and economy, then plug in hybrids are a much better option than what Lexus offer. I'm sorely tempted to look into the Volvo further, especially reliability and after sales costs. The cars are north of £50k new, but at that price they come with all loads of options like Adaptive cruise, LD warning, Blind spot, Adaptive lights etc. A used example just a few months old can be had for well under £40k, with very low mileage. Hmm!!

Never driven Volvo's myself. Too much Stigma behind them as old folks cars! Maybe ill get one when I retire but highly unlikely.

I think Lexus got it wrong with the NX. May as well have put the 450h lump into it and called it a day. That way, itd be plenty quick and still get 30mpg!

Im achieving 30mpg exact atm without trying and tyre PSI is 33psi all around. When it comes back from the 30k service on the 28th of May, itll probably do 33mpg with ease as they'll bump the PSI to 37 no doubt!

Oh and im not being conservative either! Sport mode nearly all the time lol

So you want a SUV that's quick, economical, with plenty of gadgets....Keep an eye out on the Tesla for the model X details..

tesla-model-x.jpg

It wouldn't be cheap, probably start at £60K, but will be based on the Model S drivetrain. So basic spec will be:

• All wheel drive
  • 250 mile range (on £8-10 of electricity at peak rate - Half that if charging via off-peak rates)
  • 0-60 in around 5 seconds
  • 8 year and UNLIMITED miles warranty on the drivetrain
  • More gadget than an apple store
  • Memory seats + mirrors
  • FREE use of Tesla supercharges for LIFE!!
  • and Gull wing doors :msn-oh:

But apparently already a 20,000 waiting list, so you might be waiting a while, delivery due to start Sep-Oct this year (2015) :)

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/modelx

• Like 1

So you want a SUV that's quick, economical, with plenty of gadgets....Keep an eye out on the Tesla for the model X details..

tesla-model-x.jpg

It wouldn't be cheap, probably start at £60K, but will be based on the Model S drivetrain. So basic spec will be:

• All wheel drive
  • 250 mile range (on £8-10 of electricity at peak rate - Half that if charging via off-peak rates)
  • 0-60 in around 5 seconds
  • 8 year and UNLIMITED miles warranty on the drivetrain
  • More gadget than an apple store
  • Memory seats + mirrors
  • FREE use of Tesla supercharges for LIFE!!
  • and Gull wing doors :msn-oh:

But apparently already a 20,000 waiting list, so you might be waiting a while, delivery due to start Sep-Oct this year (2015) :)

http://www.teslamotors.com/en_GB/modelx

Wowser. Tesla are going to do to the car industry what apple did to the mobile phone industry. Couple that with Tesla's plans for home batteries and Elon Musk looks more and more like our generation's Henry Ford.

Too many things I dont like about it already

1 - looks like a Tesla Model S with a higher roof line

2 - It doesnt look as expensive as it should from the outside for a £60k motor

3 - Gullwing doors? Bet those are handy in a supermarket car park or in a garage?

4 - 250 miles range is not enough - I get 350miles from my 450h

5 - From the number of problems the US owners have with the Model S I dont think id trust it - it needs to be dependable 10k miles a year, every single time.

Too many things I dont like about it already

1 - looks like a Tesla Model S with a higher roof line

2 - It doesnt look as expensive as it should from the outside for a £60k motor

3 - Gullwing doors? Bet those are handy in a supermarket car park or in a garage?

4 - 250 miles range is not enough - I get 350miles from my 450h

5 - From the number of problems the US owners have with the Model S I dont think id trust it - it needs to be dependable 10k miles a year, every single time.

The doors apparently take up less space to open than coventional doors, and is double hinged.

I have no doubt lots of people will not want a Tesla for what ever reasons, but with 20,000 pre-orders and let's not forget a 6-8 months waiting list for a Model S I don't think Tesla is short of business...I'll be ordering my Model S sooner rather than later :)

For Tesla to really succeeded they need to produce a £30k machine, but they simply don't have manufacturing capacity to meet demand for this at the moment!!

I've heard bad things about Tesla reliability too, and the home Battery system powered by solar has to be the most stupid and pointless thing I've seen for ages. People have had similar systems in British homes for several years, and lets face it if your power is being produced by solar energy, why not use it as it's produced, and if you are out at work, buy a couple of cheap timers to switch the washing machine etc on. Got to be a much cheaper solution than the Tesla, plus you get feed in tariff payments from your supplier.