Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another Good Review

Just been reading the final month 10 report in Car Magazine, concluding "The first-generation Lexus IS was brave, the second was bland, the third is almost brilliant", they do list one of the niggles as ""the lack of a postcode input for the sat-nav continuously irks" not sure I understand this my car has full 7 digit post code option although it is on the second page of options. Link as follows:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/lexus/lexus-is300h-hybrid-2014-long-term-test-review/

Just been reading the final month 10 report in Car Magazine, concluding "The first-generation Lexus IS was brave, the second was bland, the third is almost brilliant", they do list one of the niggles as ""the lack of a postcode input for the sat-nav continuously irks" not sure I understand this my car has full 7 digit post code option although it is on the second page of options. Link as follows:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/lexus/lexus-is300h-hybrid-2014-long-term-test-review/

I saw that and thought how could they have the car for ten months and not find it?

Also, in one of the earlier reports they complain that the nav screen keeps reverting to the home screen too quickly but in actual fact there is a setting to stop this if you want.

I get the feeling they never read the manual.

It is poor that the post code entry is hidden away on the second page rather than being the default button you are placed on when selecting destination, but after 10 months you would have thought even the most non-technical person should have stumbled across the option in that time.

Reason it's hidden away is it is not available for all European countries, so it's almost an afterthought for UK market. Guess it is easier/cheaper to design a single interface for all than have a UK specific one.

Still, you'd expect a magazine to check their facts. I've read all the Car Mag entries for the IS, and on a previous one he explains that a reader had emailed in to explain postcodes were on the 2nd page. Poor they don't read their own copy.

While a good read there are still some things he doesn't get though. I quote "Ultimately, it comes down to your driving habits: just as living in a city, buying diesel and doing a paltry mileage is silly, so mega mileages just don’t make sense in the IS300h"

Why isn't the IS300H a car for mega miles? I'm doing 35K a year up and down the motorway and this is the perfect car for this. 50+ mpg and low tax bik. I've already stated previously this car costs me zero as a company car driver.

Until the journos get this fact they simply won't get it.

Hear, hear!

However, they were driving an FSport version at above legal speeds up and down motorway in sport mode, thus getting about 35mpg. Kind of biases their viewpoint, very unfairly I would add.

Hear, hear!

However, they were driving an FSport version at above legal speeds up and down motorway in sport mode, thus getting about 35mpg. Kind of biases their viewpoint, very unfairly I would add.

maybe but plenty of diesels would return 55+ mpg with similar treatment.

But the is300h is not a diesel and not intended to be left in sport mode permanently especially not on the motorway!! I have hardly used sport mode because in normal driving it isnt required. I have had the occasional blast though!!

Hear, hear!

BMW 320d or 330d M Sport driven enthusiastically are only getting low to mid 40's mpg according to owners forums.

Car Mag and Autoexpress both did a hybrid driver trainer day and achieved 50mpg+ in their FSport and Premier models, when driven in eco mode and with a mind to sensibility, but that doesnt make an interesting comparison. I do feel the press spin a good story and manipulate the facts and figures to their own ends.

Hear, hear!

I do feel the press spin a good story and manipulate the facts and figures to their own ends.

It was ever thus I'm afraid. I remember some time ago watching a "Which?" review of part my industry and it was one sided, biased and uninformed , misleading in the extreme. A few weeks later I watched another industry be given the treatment, and decided if that was as bad and inaccurate as the one on my industry, I couldnt even begin to rely on its conclusions.

As they say, DYOR!