Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Wheel Bearing Problem

Hello everyone I recently had my mot and advisories were osf wheel bearing and nsf lower ball joint the garage which motd the car can't do repair. I have asked local garages even lexus themselves which wanted near to a grand to do it.but every garage I ask as soon as I say its a lexus they all go ooooo expensive maybe they are hearing rolls royce plus none of my local garages know how to do the work as have never worked on one.are they really this complicated to fix somone has saidyou nneed a hydraulic press as I was going to see if I could do it myself but im not confident enough. I think ill just have to leave it and when in next fails mot leave it off road as im getting stressed out with the whole thing. My car is a 2004 is200 sport any advice please.

Don't just leave it. The balljoint has been advised and if you leave it, it can fail and when it fails your wheel will come off and rip your wing off and dependant on the speed at which the ball joint fails you could very well die.

Now these are not expensive parts and I don't know why you're having trouble.

Genuine balljoint from dealer £55-70. Fitted at any garage (£30-60 labour) it takes 20-30 minutes to change a balljoint.

Wheel bearing. About £120 for the bearing. Needs to be pressed in so you may have to pay an hours labour.

Basically my local garage would do this work for around £300-£350 all in.

Ok thanks chris ill get the ball joint done asap as im going away next month a 400 mile round trip so don't want the ball joint failing on me but bearing might have to wait I have a friend who is happy to do ball joint just not wheel bearing but the ball joint is more urgent thanks for you advise.

Hi all new to forum but just wanted to say that front wheel bearings on is200 is not that hard to do yes you need a press to remove and install and a new nut and cap but I have done loads and there are worse bearings to do out there!!

Hey George, Lancashire is next door to Yorkshire, run out in the Lexus, pop in and see our new member Dave and show him your new parts. Perhaps he would fit them for you for a fee :)

Thanks again everyone for all the advice. So as I said my friend is doing my ball joint for me only reason he can't do bearing is has no press so leaving it till end of next month but for now ill just concentrate on ball joint.reading Dave s post would possibly consider driving out that way and seeing him about it.

Ok quick update just picked up the new ball joint and yes it looks like the right part but has a small bolt in the side which seems like a grease hole if removed so do I just put it straight on or does it need grease putting in? The part is made be blue print

Hi George I think it's for a grease nipple to be fitted so you can grease the joint. I have only ever fitted genuine joints and they don't have provision for a nipple to be fitted(greased for life! !) I have seen them on other ball joints that I have fitted on other makes though. But I would have thought that joint would come pre greased so it should be ok

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.sorry Dave not messaged back sooner managed to finally replace wheel bearing was not straight forward snapped nolt @#$#@ hello is than that lexus parts but all ok thank you for offering to help. I need to start a new topic with another query now still new to this