Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

AP Racing Brakes

pyaap

I've heard of MOVIT but when I last contacted them, they wanted a huge amount for their ceramic brake setup (around 6000 pounds if I remember correctly).

I've just been in touch with the AP racing R&D department and they're happy to work on a 6-piston kit but they need a car with the 17" stock wheels for about 2-3 hours for them to measure up so that they can fabricate the necessary mounts. I'd love to let them have my car apart from the small problem that I'm in Australia.

If anyone in the UK is interested, pls let me know so that I can put you in touch with the relevant person at AP racing.

Have you tried Hi-Spec???

They are an engineering company that machine brakes for your car - they have done the brakes on my CRX and on my boyfriend's Prelude.

http://www.honda-r.org.uk/html/sammy.htm

325mm front discs (30mm thick with 8 grooves)

4 Pot Aluminium Calipers (front)

300mm rear solid discs (6 grooves)

Mintex 1144 pads front & rear

Braided Hoses & Dot 5.1 fluid

The brakes look VERY like AP (I believe HiSpec may have made AP Brakes in the past) only they have the dust seals so they don't need stripping down every 1500 miles!

http://www.hispecbigbrakes.co.uk/

Let them know Sammy of Honda-R recommended them to you. (I'm not on commision, but I like the Club to get credit)

Thanks for the replies and interest. Like I said, AP racing (based in Coventry) will need you to take your car in with at least 1 stock 17" wheel (even if its the spare) so that they can measure up using it. They will need the car for a few hours only.

They will probably use a 330mm disc with the 6-pot calliper for a front conversion. They might be able to do a calliper conversion only for the rear but my experience is that its not worth the money and you'll get the same results by using uprated pads. Even with EBD and brake-assist, most of the brake bias is to the front so the rears don't really do as much work.

Their workshop is open Mon-Thurs I think but I will check this with their R&D dept and post the reply. AP kits typically cost around GBP 1400 but we can of course try to negotiate a discount for bulk buying / offering a car for them to measure up. I've driven several cars with AP conversions and I'm sure anyone who gets one will not be disappointed. Funnily enough, the majority of people in Asia / Australia who buy Impreza STI and Lancer EVO cars change their brembo brakes for AP ones straight after collecting their cars, which I guess shows the capability and reliability.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I've contacted AP Racing and they're keen to get an IS200 in for them to take a look at. They will need your car for around 2 hours so that they can take all the necessary measurements. If anyone can spare the time, please let me know so that I can put you in touch with the relevant person