Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nx Residuals

I'm in the process of buying a Mercedes GLA45 AMG as a "fun" car, and during negotiations the salesman asked if I was trading our NX F Sport. I'm not, but I did ask what I would get just out of curiosity. The trade in quoted was £26250, which I thought was laughable given the car is only 5 months old and has covered just 2000 miles. Thinking this was just the usual insulting offer you get from a dealer, I did some checking on-line with Autotrader, Confused.com and Glass's. It seems they pretty much concur with the figure I was offered. How can that be when the cheapest F Sport on-line is £37500, most are going for £38 - £40k, and there's a six month wait for a new car? Are they all wrong, or is the NX going to turn into a really bad investment? Hopefully it's because it is too new to give realistic valuations, but rather worrying nonetheless. Anyone else checked out resale/trade in figures yet?

They are just making the figures up at the moment as none are being sold. I would expect Lexus to try and make £5,000 between trade-in and resale value but even that would be well above £26k.

Residuals should be quite good on the NX, like the RX, certainly up to three years as there is still limited availability for new vehicles and where nearly all the used vehicles will end up at Lexus dealers who are then able to control the used prices.

I'm sure you are right Colin. If I were seriously looking to trade in the car, I would be very disappointed not to get £33-34k from a non Lexus dealer, and up to £37k if trading against a new Lexus. At one point I gave serious thought to going from the F Sport to the Premier, and the Lexus dealers I spoke to were very keen to get their hands on my car. Thanks for your post.

I'm sure you are right Colin. If I were seriously looking to trade in the car, I would be very disappointed not to get £33-34k from a non Lexus dealer, and up to £37k if trading against a new Lexus. At one point I gave serious thought to going from the F Sport to the Premier, and the Lexus dealers I spoke to were very keen to get their hands on my car. Thanks for your post.

Trade in for the NX should be about £33-34k at the moment at Lexus dealers purely because they will make £5k off it. They wouldnt give £37k for it as they wouldnt be able to sell for £40k +

I guess it depends what you want to trade it for at a Lexus dealer. With the new RX due in a few months, I expect they will be happy to do a very good deal on the outgoing model. Also, there are plenty of IS's around which I am sure they would love to take an NX against.

But they aren't giving you a good trade-in deal, just a discount off the new vehicle which would be available to anybody, whether they are trading in or not. On paper they can make it appear how they want to make somebody think they are getting a good deal - taking some of the new vehicle discount and adding it to the trade-in value, but they aren't going to give up their true margins without a fight.

I guess it depends what you want to trade it for at a Lexus dealer. With the new RX due in a few months, I expect they will be happy to do a very good deal on the outgoing model. Also, there are plenty of IS's around which I am sure they would love to take an NX against.

As mentioned above, theyll either give you a larger discount on a new car and less for part-ex or the other way around. The key is to try and get them to give you a good part ex and a decent discount! Some dealers are happy to reduce their margins at certain times in the year, especially around Nov/Dec time

I thought I'd put this to the test by contacting a Lexus Dealer and asking how much I would get for my NX FSport against a 14 plate GS 450H they were advertising. Their offer - £29500. Got a call an hour or so later increasing this to £30500, but only because they had somebody who wanted an NX 300H. Definitely not impressed, but what I said to the salesman would definitely get me into trouble with the moderator!! Cheeky Bs.

And that's the problem. If you were to try and P/ex a car with a non Lexus dealer, chances are they would pass it back to Lexus, take a cut, and you would get an even lower price. I was quite shocked at the offer I got against the GS, even though it wasn't a serious inquiry. After all, the GS is not their biggest seller.

I thought I'd put this to the test by contacting a Lexus Dealer and asking how much I would get for my NX FSport against a 14 plate GS 450H they were advertising. Their offer - £29500. Got a call an hour or so later increasing this to £30500, but only because they had somebody who wanted an NX 300H. Definitely not impressed, but what I said to the salesman would definitely get me into trouble with the moderator!! Cheeky Bs.

I'm not surprised you can't repeat what you said, that's taking the proverbial! In a way it's tempting to hang on to the vehicle for years to really stretch out the value and minimise the depreciation. Trouble is that's not much fun and then you have to start worrying about repair costs. Not sure there are any easy answers.

David, I have no intention of selling the NX. In fact I've just taken out an additional 2 years warranty until Oct 2019 under their current 2 years for the price of 1 offer. Nothing else on the market currently interests me as a family car. It has everything we want, despite being a bit of a disappointment with fuel consumption.

Sounds about right. The 2 cheapest NX F-Sport's are on the Lexus website at £37k, one with 10k miles, the other with 5.5k miles. If you haggled with them a bit more, they'd give you a max of about £31.5k and then put the car on for sale at £37-38k, expecting to sell it at about £36.5k. That'll give them a £5k profit.

The reason dealers give you a low price is because that particular car could happen to just sit there for a few months going down in value and they wont want losses on it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links