Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 - Knock When Breaking From Driver Side.

Keynun

My car knocks after I brake or do a sharp turn. This only happens if it has been parked up for a while and only once until I start reversing, then it does it once again. It's from the front area.

The car has now had:

New lower ball joints

New strut rod bushes & bolts

New lower arm bushes & bolts

New track rod outer & inners

New upper arms

New front drop links.

What the hell could it be? I am out of ideas.

• 9 months later...

Some people have reported that the center nut holding the chock absorber to the strut mount has come loose. Under the rubber thing . Others have reported that the rubber between strutmount and spring has worne down to zero. I am in process of adding a little 2-3 mm rubber there to both of mine in front. was really thin 

I also have a clunk when braking quickly and when going over bumps. Etc. Have not really found any bad bushings or joints . everything feels tight.  Are anyway in process of exchanging Lower ball joints and lower front bushings because I have bought new ones of oem type. Built a simple 10+ ton press with a cheap hydraulic jack, some wood pieces and threaded rods to get bushings in and out. Estimate it took ballpark 5 tons to get the new one in.  Out I used the drill out rubber and saw carefully through bushing method.     

Thank you for the tip . I will take the glide pin thing apart and lubricate them. Probably long overdue.

The klonking when running over cobble stone etc could not reasonably come from that thought

• 7 months later...
On 18/02/2016 at 9:16 PM, Mikaelse said:

Built a simple 10+ ton press with a cheap hydraulic jack, some wood pieces and threaded rods to get bushings in and out. Estimate it took ballpark 5 tons to get the new one in.  Out I used the drill out rubber and saw carefully through bushing method.     

Be interested to see a photo of this

Check the springs very carefully as I have a similar noise and couldn't find it until I cleaned the bottom link of the spring to notice it was cracked and obviously moving slightly. I've still had no reply to my search for a replacement DHP item, so it will be left as it's not causing any real problems.

Pete

• 5 months later...

Mikael I had something similar on my 98 camry sport. Drove me mad that such a nice car would make such a noise. No apparent movement in ARB drop link and couldn't find it for three years, till it failed an MOT on drop link (only very slight movement surprised it failed). Changed link to pass MOT and noise dissapeared. Tried everything before that even several visits to dealer who failed to find it