Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gear Noise In 6Th, Clicks In 2Nd And 3Rd.

wmerlin

Guys,

can you poit out wether my logic is wrong somewhere. I am speaking of a 2002 is200 sedan, 6speed manual

Observations:

- I hear a loud but low frequency noise (you can feel it aswell like bass coming from a subwoofer) from in 6th gear from the car between 85kph to 120kph.

- If I push in the clutch, the sound immediately goes away.

- In any other gear, at any speed, I cannot feel or hear this noise.

From this, my thinking that the above means the 6th gears sprockets and bearing (?) is getting worn out? Due to it only apperas in 6th, I would rule out the differential, the clutch or the dual masss flywheel (I a not sure about the flywheel yet). Any other thoughts?

- During shifting from 1st to 2nd, there is a loud click,

- During shifting from 2nd to 3rd slowly, the lever is stuck a little, and I can feel a mechanical "stop" on the shift lever. After this, it goes into rd smoothly.

From this, I would say the synchronisers are worn out between 1-2 and for 3rd gear.

If anyone sees a wrong logic above, please comment.

Thanks, Ferenc

I did have a is200 sport which made the noise that you describe in 6th gear (although none of the other issues)

I had the clutch/thrust bearing changed and spigot bearing, still the same. Changed the complete gearbox, still the same...

so I gave up and sold it..!

I still have the original gearbox (35k miles) in my garage if you need one.

Well, we did some inspection.

I have a slight, similar frequency vibration (like in 6th) in neutral, with the clutch depressed also.

If I am watching for the vibration in th and 5th, they are also there a little. We lifted the car, and the vibration without load on the rear suspension was VERY strong, when revving the whole drivetrain at a 80-110 kph speed.

Next wednesday we will check ignition, compression, etc to see wether it comes from the engine.

I plan to replace engine / tranny mounts as well

Then if it does not go away, we remove the rear wheels, axles, diff them the shaft. Step by step, until the tranny is down. to find source for vibration.

I will keep the forum posted, but if anyone have ny idea, let us know.