Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Know Someone In London/essex Who Can Do The Cambelt On My Is300

BigDon

Hi all,

As above.

Other than taking it to Lexus for £299 all incl, I found a Blueprint ADL belt/tensioner kit at a bargain £48. Blueprint as you know only distribute OEM Japanese parts so it's likely this is the same kit as Lexus use, although Lexus don't change any tensioners.

Does anyone know of a good, preferably Toyota trained, mechanic I can go to with these parts to have it changed?

A Saturday morning would be perfect really and I don't mind driving.

Anything else needed whilst this is being completed? I'd get a new drive belt aswell as it needs to come off regardless, but anything else? The waterpump was changed by Lexus at the last belt change (63000 miles).

I am assuming the coolant needs to be changed for the belt change?

I also have leaky rocker gaskets (which I have, again Blueprint ADL) and new Lexus spark plugs which I wouldn't mind getting changed at the same time.

Let me know please guys. Very keen to get this done ASAP.

Thanks

Hi Rez, my is300 has just clicked over the 100k so have been checking out getting the belt done as well.

Thats a cheap price for the Blueprint kit, where did you get it from?? seen it this morning on eBay for £70!

There is a (independent) garage in Brentwood Essex who quoted me £250 inc belt/tensioner which sounds reasonable.

Used them last week to fit new front coil springs to my car, I supplied the springs (Blueprint) and they charged me £70 to fit them which was stupidly cheap, and this has totally transformed the driving/handling of the car.

Considering getting them to do mine as the fella there seems to know his stuff albeit not Lexus trained.

Where abouts in Essex are you?

Hi buddy

Thanks for the note.

I was after more of a mechanic who does private jobs on the weekend really. With that price you have quoted I would rather let Lexus go ahead and fit the belt as their fixed price is only £299 all in. OK so it doesn't include the tensioner but having owned lots of Type R Hondas and discussed with their Master tech, tensioners/rollers are only changed if deemed required upon inspection. They just don't really go wrong on these Japanese cars, the bearings are of such high quality! You may end up putting on an inferior part to the one being removed so just bare that in mind mate.

I remember asking my Honda Master tech to change the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump on one of my Accord Type R's. He gawked at why I wished to change the waterpump! When removed, it was clear to see that the one removed (Honda) was miles better in terms of quality than the one fitted (GMB Japan I think); the impellor was a rubbish tin item on the aftermarket.

Blueprint do put the highest quality Japanese parts in their boxes but since I have not had one to hand for this job I don't what make is in there. It is most likely Koyo or something.

The discounted belt and tensioner are on eBay.

Not sure about Jap bearings not really going wrong though, they reckon wheel bearings should last life of the car but my fronts collapsed at 80k...good job it wasn't the belt bearing!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi buddy

Thanks for the note.

I was after more of a mechanic who does private jobs on the weekend really. With that price you have quoted I would rather let Lexus go ahead and fit the belt as their fixed price is only £299 all in. OK so it doesn't include the tensioner but having owned lots of Type R Hondas and discussed with their Master tech, tensioners/rollers are only changed if deemed required upon inspection. They just don't really go wrong on these Japanese cars, the bearings are of such high quality! You may end up putting on an inferior part to the one being removed so just bare that in mind mate.

I remember asking my Honda Master tech to change the cambelt, tensioners and waterpump on one of my Accord Type R's. He gawked at why I wished to change the waterpump! When removed, it was clear to see that the one removed (Honda) was miles better in terms of quality than the one fitted (GMB Japan I think); the impellor was a rubbish tin item on the aftermarket.

Blueprint do put the highest quality Japanese parts in their boxes but since I have not had one to hand for this job I don't what make is in there. It is most likely Koyo or something.

The discounted belt and tensioner are on ebay.

Did you get the belt done?

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine done a few weeks ago by a good independent garage (who I know), blueprint belt and bearing and fan belt and coolant re-done with use of new loan car for £220+vat. Car going great.