Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Idle Engine Hummmmm

oka97

I find most of the time (but not always) the engine when idle sounds like a diesel truck....

Well I am exaggerating, but it's definitely not as quiet as it could be.

My is200 is in top condition with only 20K on the clock ya know. It is 3 years old tho.

Any ideas why this is?

It should be just whispering, so quiet you can hear the belts turning slowly..

Maybe you've got a moving part that makes the diesel-like rattle? Mechanics use a metal rod or the like (wrench/screwdriver), put one end to their ear, and the other end to the housing of the various shafts, to probe (listen) if one of the bearings is too noisy (e.g. waterpump). But then again, it could be anything rattling. Try to see where the noise comes from under the hood (bonnet?).

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

I'm glad you said that kev

Mine is brand new with only 500 miles on the clock and with the window open on tickover it is a bit 'tappety' as you said.

Window closed and it's deathly silent inside - (unless the wifes in there) :)

Its a trade mark of the VVTi engines to be a little tappety, it's always worse in a car park or garage, nothing to worry about though....however, it shouldn't sound like a diesel truck :unsure:

Mention it to your dealer and have them take a look at it....otherwise, lift the bonnet and rev it from inside the engine bay....you'll soon realise if there is something wrong.

When I wa looking for my IS200 the first one I saw was loudish, thought it was a bit odd, until a few others were the same. Just the way they are.

When they are mega loud, thats when you know ones gone!

Mine's always had a bit of a ticky ticky sound when idle. It's done it since I had it with 6k on the clock, it now has 25k and still sounds the same.

I asked the dealer and they said it was a combination of it being a 6 cylinder / vvti engine. But saying that I've test driven a Celica and that doesn't sound the same, IMHO it's the 6 cylinder engine, anyway I like the sound it make's the engine feel like it has meaning :winky:

I had a flyer through the post recently from Lexus promoting the LE model, and there was a statement in there about when they designed the IS200 they wanted it to sound like nothing else - nuff said.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links