Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Bumper..... How Solid?

I don't even have my IS200 a month yet and when out at lunchtime sitting at the lights some knob head in a Bravo ploughed into the back of me !! :angry: : :sick::angry::sick::angry:

Anyhow, I can't for the life of me find any damage with the exception of a paint chip the size of a match head.............. whixh I am very surprised about considering the thump I got........... I at least expected the clips at the rear wheelarches to be busted (considering he needs a bonnet, grille, possibly a headlamp and a respray!!!!) but on inspection can't find a thing. I'll wash the car this evening and give it a good once over to be absolutely sure.

What I wan't to know is if there is anything behind the bumper than could be damaged but whcih is not evident? Those of you who have had the rear bumper off will be able to tell me whats behind there at least?

I don't wan't to let this fool off scott free if there is something behind there that could possibly be damaged?

Hopefully there is nothing wrong but can anyone put my mind at rest? :sick::angry:

behind the bumper u have a polystyrene block that covers the 5mph crash bar ( aluminium) and then this mounts to the body. would check everything at the rear, door gaps/lines look for any crinkles etc in the bodywork do it an angle so the light is reflecting of it then u will see any deformation.

Take out the boot carpet, spare wheel, the liners and the sill trim (where the lid latches) and inspect for any bumps, creases etc. escpecially at the rear (next to where the bumper is mounted).

Had car washed last night and then had a proper look. When the bumper collapsed with the impact it pushed onto the back box mounting which didn't budge therefore it now looks like someone tried to punch a hole from the inside out :angry:

Also the polystyrene behind te plastic just seems to be floating there? Its not fixed to anything? Is it supposed to be fixed to the aluminium crash bar?

The damage is hardly noticeable but I NOTICE IT and I think unless I get it sorted its going to niggle away at me...........

there is no aluminium crash bar on the rear.......(and no shock absorbers)

all you have under the rear plastic cover(bumper) are 2 formed steel colapsable blocks, and a polystyrene block.