Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jump Starting Someone Elses Car

javadude

As far as I know, like Colin said, it's the other car that can be fryed.

All that I would suggest is that the other persons put on ALL the elctric, hazard lights, radio, wipers, and anything else that can come on ...

So that when the car receives a big jump of voltage, it has somewhere to disperse it, and doesn't fry the car !

:crybaby:

If possible don't jump start or have your car jump started. If it cannot be avoided then once the jumped car is started you should leave it running for a few minutes so that the Battery gets some charge in it and therefore the alternator output is reduced. Then before the leads are disconnected the headlights, rear window heater, fan etc should be turned on on BOTH cars. When you disconnect the leads any spikes are absorbed by the devices you have turned on and not by your cars electronics.

A cheaper way is to get yourself a spare Battery from Costco (bosch or the like) and some leads.

I have to say that this whole thread confuses me a little. I've jump started loads of cars in my time, never had a problem and would be very surprised if I had to. All you are effectively doing are increasing the cell composition of the Battery and therefore theortical ampage of the Battery (ie: bigger Battery!) when you provide a boost / jump. The damage you are talking about would occur to either cars alternator due to:

1. The boosting car - Battery has increased load - possible alternator damage

2. Flat car - alternator piling current into flat Battery = working hard.

In the either case surely the same applies when the alternator is under hard load ie:cold winer morning - deminser, heated seats, lights and radio playing from cold start?? Therefore assuming you don't try am jump something out of your league (so as to speak) then you should be okay.

I think you would have to be very very unlucky to fry anything either car (assuming they were or relative cranking amp ratings). As for the voltage jump - I would think the Battery would absorb the majority of that as "charge" - you need more than 12v to charge and 12v Battery. Also, if the voltage spike was so bad, the fuses would go pop (unlikely).

I caveat this as I am not an electical engineer and so may be talking absolute rubbish....

The main problem is the car with the flat Battery cannot absorb any voltage spikes when it is completly flat. If you disconnect the other Battery too soon the alternator output will be too high for the sensitive electronic components. Clearly the design of these devices will affect its ability to withstand these spikes but it is quite common for damage to be done.

Bosch recommend that you turn on all electrical devices before you disconnect the lead to minimise the risk.

To show you this can happen have a look at this company selling ECUs which it states the main cause of failure is due to jump starting:

http://www.bba-reman.com/rovermsb.htm

Fair enough - I stand corrected.

I'm still very surprised by this - knowing how sensitive computers are to voltage surge I can appreciate this, but I still query the fact that the ECU should have (or not as the case may be) sufficient isolation built in, but I guess it's a question of cost.

Also, as I recall, the owners manual makes no reference to this issue?

I don't have a definitive answer one way or t'other, but don't fancy taking the risk.

My friend managed to do something to the electrics when she jump started another car - all the lights came on and everything had to be reset etc. Not sure if it was coincidence or not, but that was on a Citroen Saxo and I can imagine a Lex would have more complex electrics or at least be more to fix!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links