Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Air Con

Adie

With the weather getting warmer i've been using my air con alot lately and its started to have a sort of musty smell to it. My car will be having its 40k service in september, so will they change the air con filter and will it sort the problem?

Also i read in an old post about using a spray to clean the air con system. I've seen one on eBay Link.

Has anybody used one of these sprays, any good?

Thanks

Adie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Give it a good blast of Dettol anti bacteria surface spray, usually does the trick!

Open the bonnet and spray it in the aircon intake at the rear, just below the base of the screen

Thanks Mike :D

you can buy the aircon spray things that clean it, with those you put it on recirculate and leave the car on for about 10mins, from memory you put the can in the passenger footwell area, I bought the spray from a toyota dealer cost was about £12 I think

With the weather getting warmer i've been using my air con alot lately and its started to have a sort of musty smell to it. My car will be having its 40k service in september, so will they change the air con filter and will it sort the problem?

Also i read in an old post about using a spray to clean the air con system. I've seen one on ebay  Link.

Has anybody used one of these sprays, any good?

Thanks

Adie

yes thats the type you want to get - forget about the one with the long tube on it - u have no chance of getting it near the evaporator.

put it in the footwell on a sheet of newspaper etx , engine running aircon on max and recirc.

push the button down and then close the door, leave it about 10 mins and ur done.

it will prob leave a slight residue in the car but that wipes off very easily.

Give it a good blast of Dettol anti bacteria surface spray, usually does the trick!

Open the bonnet and spray it in the aircon intake at the rear, just below the base of the screen

Yes this worked for me...I used Febreze anti bacterial. Also at service Lexus disinfected the system for nothing.

mine was like that,i bought a new pollen filter and its fine now .

Where did you get the pollen filter from mate?

its the upgrade one ,extra from lexus,chris shipley will get you one,its shown as an extra when you look at a lexus dealer site .

its the upgrade one ,extra from lexus,chris shipley will get you one,its shown as an extra when you look at a lexus dealer site .

Cheers mate, i'll send him PM. Any idea of price and are they easy to fit?

Cheers mate, i'll send him PM. Any idea of price and are they easy to fit?

think it was around 35 quid,easy to do.open glove box ,look inside at the top,drop the flap,hey presto.

Have to say I'd wanted to check mine for a while, this post prompted me. From starting the job, removing the filter, clenaing it and reassembling everything took me less than 5 minutes!

A very impressive guide and a very straight forward job to do, or so I found.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. I've bought one of those sprays off eBay, so will give that a blast. Also buying a new pollen filter from Chris S so the guide will be very helpful. :D

Thanks again

Adie

that was an old guide there is a far quicker way to do it:

empty the glove box, sit in passanger seat, with glove box open squeeze the sides slightly and the pull the top bit of the box towards you, box flips down and u have full access to the air con filter - takes 10 secs if that.

squeeze box in again to put it back.

Yes this worked for me...I used Febreze anti bacterial. Also at service Lexus disinfected the system for nothing.

This is an amazing money saving tip - I'm gonna try that too !!!!!

having a look at this just now - is that the grill area just below the windscreen wipers?

Did you just spray it in with the aircon on?

Ta

Minor Service - IS200 and IS300

(10,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is the sooner)

* Drain & replace engine oil (Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic) including 1 litre top up pack

* Replace oil filter and replace sump washer

* Check coolant, top up if required

* Replace key remote Battery

* Check & report on brake pads & discs

* Check & report on tyres and tyre tread depths, adjust pressures as required

* Check corrosion & body damage and report as required

* Check windscreen & wipers & top up washer fluid

* Check suspension ball joints & shock absorbers

* Inspect clutch fluid

* Inspect air filter, clean if required

* Check all lights for cracks and all bulbs are working

Major Serive

Minor Service - IS200 and IS300

(20,000 miles or 12 months - whichever is the sooner)

* Drain & replace engine oil (Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic) including 1 litre top up pack

* Replace oil filter and replace sump washer

* Check coolant, top up if required

* Replace key remote Battery

* Check & report on brake pads & discs

* Check & report on tyres and tyre tread depths, adjust pressures as required

* Check corrosion & body damage and report as required

* Check windscreen & wipers & top up washer fluid

* Check suspension ball joints & shock absorbers

* Inspect clutch fluid

* Inspect air filter, clean if required

* Check all lights for cracks and all bulbs are working

* Check alarm, power windows and central locking systems for correct operation

* Inspect exhaust system and mountings and check leaks

* Inspect fuel tank, lines and connections and vapour control

* Replace Diff Oil

* Replace Air Con filter

* Replace brake fluid

* Inspect drive shaft boot covers

* Check brake and clutch pipes for leaks and check connections

* Check power stering fluid and top up if needed

* Check drive belts for wear and deflection

* Check transmission oil

* Check brake and parking brake for free play and travel

* Check steering wheel free play and linkage for wear and security

having a look at this just now - is that the grill area just below the windscreen wipers?

Ta

I put aircon on full, making sure recirculate is off. Open Bonnet and on my LS there are a set of air intakes just below the wiper arms. Close Car doors and then give a big old squirt of the spray into these vents. Did this 4 or 5 times and all seems well now. You will know it has worked as when you get back in the car it will stink of Febreze or Dettol :)

Top tip, indeed! - Air con in my IS was smelling like a dog had died in the glove compartment - a quick hoover of the filter and a good few squirts of Dettol into the intake and she's fresh as a daisy. :flowers:

cheers!

Ta

That's correct. But follow fluff's guide and take out the filter first and either replace it or give it a vacuum

Hi, you can get an Air Con Cleaner Aerosol for inside the car (£8.99) amazing stuff I have used it on my IS 200 Sport and it worked a treat full detail can be fouund at

http://www.saveanddrive.co.uk/shop/frame/aircon/main.htm

You can get it on e-bay as well for £8.99

Introducing The Quickest Way To Get Fresh With Your Car - New Comma Air Conditioning Cleaner

The unique 10 minute treatment for all Air Conditioning systems

You rely on your car's air conditioning system to keep you cool and relaxed no matter how high the outside temperature rises. Now, with Comma's great new Air Conditioning Cleaner, you can also be certain that you and your passengers are breathing the freshest, safest air, free from all the bacteria, viruses, air and traffic pollutants which can cause unpleasant odours, hay fever symptoms and other allergic reactions. A simple ten minute treatment, and your whole car is refreshed, with upholstery and carpets deodorised to bring back that new car smell.

Hope this helps

Martin

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links