Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Carputer Project!

MrADeveci

OK, some of you may have been aware, some maybe not .......... but I had been working on my carputer project for a while, and thought I'd only publish when it's all complete !

After 12 hours of converter installation, with Geoffers and Paul (Fargo) we finally completed the system.

The system is in fact powered by the ProLex-UK AV / AUX in conversion created by the master electronics genius Geoffers!

I had already built my PC, in a spare glove box that I had bought from an Altezza, and the rest of the parts .... well you know, the usual from Mini-ITX etc.

Credit to Geoffers, the guy is amazing, he came down all the way from Liverpool, long 3 - 3.5 hour drive ..... to install my unit ! (please note, I am a tester for this product, and price information should go direct to Dave or Geoffers)

The AV convertor is amazing, with it's 3 input (4 incl sat nav) features, and auto dimming with lights on facility - it truly is a work of art !

The sound quality, when playing music vids and movies are great .... I have 7 speakers in my front room, and the sound quality in the car is almost the same ... surround sound at it's finest!

I can listen to all my music, films and more ..... all in the comfort of my driving seat !

The unit come with a remote control (check pics) that can easily flick through and cycle the system. The system is 'reverse camera' ready .... just need to get the camera. The unit auto switches to the CAR PC on start up, and I can cycle to the Nav if I want to use that .............

Paul, had some input into the installation .... and that was to talk rubbish, and eat Geoffers' Jaffa cakes! (joke!)

I thought I was determined, but Geoffers is very determined! At first, the PC gave us problems, because we (I) didn't set it up to output onto a COMPOSITE connection, then after doing that ..... we realised that my 2001 DVD SCREEN only accepts PAL inputs, where as the newer models like Geoff's accepts both PAL and NTSC ! - Weird.

Well, the pics are below .... and now for the specs, enjoy the show .......... I'm off to work now !

Thanks again Geoffers, Paul ...... you are a genius man !

:D

SPECS:

VIA EPIA MII 12000 LVDS 1.2Ghz Motherboard

512MB RAM

120GB HD (only 20GB free left! :lol: )

90W OPUS POWER SUPPLY

*excuse the image quality, they were taken on my poor PDA camera!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so indeed my PSU wasnt faulty and it was PAL as i said in the first place lol..

thanks to mr face.....errr sorry i mean your missus Sarah for the excellent hospitality of sunday roast, tea, jaffas and cadburys roses........ and errrrr what exactly did scarface contribute to the hospitality..........NOTHINGGGGG lol.

also credit to geoffacakes again,,, dont think he left till 12.30PM

Carputer? Pah - that SOOO yesterday! :P :P

Nah seriously, well done! Looks superb! :D

How are you controlling it then? I assume you have no touchscreen. It is just a mouse and keyboard?

Well Done to Geoff too for making all that effort to get there. Hope you gave him plenty of Jaffa Cakes! :lol:

not jaffa cakes anees,,, GEOFFacakes

:lol: Geoff is also pioneering a new religious cult too, but I'll leave him to explain that one. All I will reveal is that the teachings are based off the back of a Jaffacake(geoffacake) packet ingrediants list! :lol:

PS So what was up with your Opus then?

very nice

have you covered the glove box over? got air holes?

Holes in back of Glove Box, have a look at the porjects page for full pics !

How are you controlling it then? I assume you have no touchscreen. It is just a mouse and keyboard?

With this :

DSC01677.jpg

:D

not jaffa cakes anees,,, GEOFFacakes

:lol: Geoff is also pioneering a new religious cult too, but I'll leave him to explain that one. All I will reveal is that the teachings are based off the back of a Jaffacake(geoffacake) packet ingrediants list! :lol:

PS So what was up with your Opus then?

nothing as it turns out....

so indeed my PSU wasnt faulty and it was PAL as i said in the first place lol..

thanks to mr face.....errr sorry i mean your missus Sarah for the excellent hospitality of sunday roast, tea, jaffas and cadburys roses........  and errrrr what exactly did scarface contribute to the hospitality..........NOTHINGGGGG lol.

also credit to geoffacakes again,,, dont think he left till 12.30PM

Yeah, Yeah it was getting late. I'd been up since stupid o'clock that morning, long drive, long day.

To be fair, it did have the characteristcs of power related interference. It was actually the number of lines it couldn't sync to, not so much normal PAL/NTSC issue which threw me. Trying your power supply was only one of many possible issues. Stupid really, as it's obvious thinking about it now with a clear head. We sorted it after a short while, only a motherboard setting as you know.

Don't remember your suggestion about PAL at all though...... do you Scarface?

I'm surprised that the older monitor didn't support both.

Sarah was an absolute gem. Nothing was too much trouble and she really looked after us. I should rephrase that really.......

Let her know though please Mr Face - you have found a goodun there.