Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattling Sound - New Is 250 Sel

Hi

I am a new member and have been reading various comments posted here -very interesting.

I have had a Lexus IS 200 for 2 yrs and have now bought the IS 250 SEL, black with black interior. I bought the car on 30th November 2005 and since then it has been with Lexus Tunbridge Wells - rattling sound from the dashboard. I am now told that it is a product fault and was asked to test two other cars, which had exactly the same problem. It is not a major problem, but you can hear it only when the MM is switched off. Both, Lexus Customer Services and the dealers in Tunbridge Wells are trying to hush me.They have given me a red IS 250 as a loan car.

Have anyone faced a similar problem?

Having said that, I already clocked 500 miles on my new car - its the best car I have ever driven. So, for those who are eagerly waiting for their new car, dont be disappointed by my comments. I am sure you all have made the right choice, I am bit unfortunate - have to wait for another week for them to sort out the problem.

New buyers: Please check if there is any rattling sound from the dashboard/ventilators when you roll out the car. All three IS 250's I have driven appear to have the same problem.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I am a new member and have been reading various comments posted here -very interesting.

I have had a Lexus IS 200 for 2 yrs and have now bought the IS 250 SEL, black with black interior. I bought the car on 30th November 2005 and since then it has been with Lexus Tunbridge Wells - rattling sound from the dashboard. I am now told that it is a product fault and was asked to test two other cars, which had exactly the same problem. It is not a major problem, but you can hear it only when the MM is switched off. Both, Lexus Customer Services and the dealers in Tunbridge Wells are trying to hush me.They have given me a red IS 250 as a loan car. 

Having said that, I already clocked 500 miles on my new car - its the best car I have ever driven. So, for those who are eagerly waiting for their new car, dont be disappointed by my comments. I am sure you all have made the right choice, I am bit unfortunate - have to wait for another week for them to sort out the problem.

New buyers: Please check if there is any rattling sound from the dashboard/ventilators when you roll out the car. All three IS 250's I have driven appear to have the same problem.

any chance of a few pics

of the red is250 :whistling:

havent seen one in red yet :D

Interesting that... Lexus lent me an IS250 SE-L for the day and that had this intermittent rattle/buzz from the dashboard. I put it down to the fact that as a demo car it had more abuse than normal.

My car started to rattle on Saturday as I set off from Manchester to Cardiff for the Oasis Noise and Confusion concert.

The rattle is beneth the the dashboard middle speaker grill. If I push down while driving the rattle goes. It comes back when you release the pressure.

Goes when the car warms up.

Still doing it today, so will call Lexus dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. I also have the SE with MM.

The rattle sounds like something loose on top of the actual speaker.

Other than that I have no other complaints about the car. If anything the rattle is made worse by the excellent cabin sound proofing which makes such noises all the more significant.

Cars in the dealers tomorrow to see what the cause of the rattle is. For the last two days it hasn't made a sound, and I thought that typically when I get to the garage there will be nothing for them to hear. Yipeee!! today it came back on a short drive, so here's hoping it remains for tomorrow inspection. :blink:

Hi

any chance of a few pics

of the red is250 :whistling:

havent seen one in red yet :D

Barrie i have seen a red oneand it looks stunning,

pics dont do it any justice though, my local dealer has red one (woodford)

well they did before i went away :D

Hi All

Just a quick update- Lexus have now sorted the problem; rattling sound. I clearly did not understand what they did, but they had the car for a week. Its all sorted now. I was told that other Lexus dealers in the country are facing similar complaints and they have reported this to the company.

I have couple of pics of the red IS, but sorry, couldnt find the attach button. Pls email at javz79@yahoo.co.uk and I shall reply....The red looks stunning...

Work got in the way today, so couldn't honour my Lexus dealer appointment. Rattle still there. Have hit my dash very hard today to stop it and it worked. Needed to pickup customer from airport, didn't want this annoying rattle so had to get physical with car.

I felt like 1940's man, hitting the woman I love. :blush:

She tells be how to get places.

She heats my arse.

She calls my friends on phone.

She manages the enviroment.

She keeps me safe

Yet I hit her when she rattles. I am a monster ! :angry:

Went to dealers and guess what ? No rattle. Blasted things stopped and wouldn't return when I had the engineer in the car !!!

It is intermittant, so it is now booked in for a day after Xmas. Also mentioned that the 2nd gear (manual box) seems a bit rough to get engaged, feels lumpy and not a smooth movement. Lexus dealer stated that there had been several complaints like this and Lexus advised that its a bedding in thing. I have done 700+ miles.

They have noted it and are gathhering all buyers comments and any issues raised as it is such a new model, there are bound to teething glitches.

Hi

I posted something about rattles on another thread (see "Official New 2006 Is Topic" thread - end of page 30) yesterday. This rattle has driven me potty. I had the same thing on my last car - a 53 plate RX300 SE Navigator.

This time, as well as a rattle/creak from the dash, I also have an incessant rattling noise which sounds like its coming from the driver's seat belt pillar (but I think it's actually something in the door). Sometimes it is just there in the background (that's still wrong of course)...other times it's audible to passengers too.

With my last car I eventually wrote to Lexus GB about it hoping they would offer some assistance. Sadly not. I got a letter back saying they hoped it didn't spoil my enjoyment of the car. Please read that last sentence again!

Incidentally Lexus inserted a thick rubber strip in my last car, between the dash and windscreen. It helped but certainly wasn't a proper remedy because the noise came back a week later. In the States when someone had this problem, this is what one owner reported on the LOC USA site:

"Apparently there is a bracket that runs the width of the dash and is attached to the firewall. This bracket, when heated by the nearby heat duct would rattle. (Lexus) loosened this bracket, insulated it, and tightened it and the noise is gone."

That, to my mind, sounds like they have paid attention to their customers' needs and done a proper job of fixing the problem. Lexus GB, if you're reading this, please note that we love your cars. But rattles are not acceptable. We (your paying customers) want a proper investigation/solution, not a rubber strip which only provides a temporary fix.

Also mentioned that the 2nd gear (manual box) seems a bit rough to get engaged, feels lumpy and not a smooth movement. Lexus dealer stated that there had been several complaints like this and Lexus advised that its a bedding in thing. I have done 700+ miles.

They have noted it and are gathhering all buyers comments and any issues raised as it is such a new model, there are bound to teething glitches.

Same over here in Switzerland. The 2nd gear really seems to be a bit sticky. It's not all the time... Any further news on this one?

yeah - after teh curse of teh sticky 2nd gear in teh IS200 i went all auto. blissssss

Well, as I mentioned b4, it is not all the time and it seems to get better the longer I drive. I now have about 500 km and the gear shift felt much worse in the first km's... I believe the "problem" will be gone in a few 100 more km's.

I could live with an auto on my IS300 and I probably could live with an auto on a IS350, but to be honest, the IS250 isn't a rocket and it somehow feels more sporty with a manual box. OK, the 250 is quite even compared to the 300 in terms of power, but the acceleration definitely feels different.

• 2 weeks later...

OK car went back to dealer for the day to have rattle looked at in detail.

Got an Auto box IS250SE for the day. Really don't like auto's, just feels too much like driving a go kart or moped...lack of gear interaction. I'm just old fashioned.

Anyway back to the car.

They had it a day and said they fixed the rattle comming from under the centre front speaker grill by removing the entire radio and inserting some foam rubber. This seems to have done the trick, they said it was to do with the wiring loom.

Anyway, one problem begets another. Having been out during the day I noticed that the centre dash is scratched and the side mouldings has holes in it. Looks like the Lexus dealer has difficulty sussing out how to get the dash off and gear surrounds. I am debating whether to complian and ask for a new facia and panels. All seems a lot of fuss, but it is a bloody expensive car to be having scratches on. Will take pics and ask your views on whether it's worth complaining about.

Regarding the stick 2nd gear, and in fact lumpy 3rd gear. They said run it in for another 1000 miles and see what happens. Done just over 1000 miles so far.

I am debating whether to complian and ask for a new facia and panels.

Hell yes!

:crying: Definately complain. The interior of the IS is fantastic, but there are some plastics that will get a bit scratchy over time, so to keep it smarter for longer get it sorted. Even if you don't want them butchering about again, at least tell them they have damaged it...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links