Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, first post (apart from a mistake I think I made in another thread...)

Is OK to use Super Unleaded in my Mk2 300? If so what are the benefits (or otherwise)?

Cheers,

Willber

Dont know about your GS300, but I would put money on it that it will be OK.

In my IS200 it makes it more responsive and sounds better. :D

Apparently BP ultimate is the best for performance improvement

Worth the extra cash - some say it gets more MPG but I have not compared

oh yeah - welcome to the club

Fifth Gear on Channel 5 looked into using super unleaded in a variety of cars. They measured torque & bhp. It only made a difference on the a turbo charged sports car, I think it was a Subaru Imprezza WRC. Then they got an extra 5%. By the way the BP & Shell super unleaded gave a different result, I think the BP was better. They showed that unless you had a performance turbo car and used it to the limit, that is changed up at peak revs etc, it is not worth thinkling about it. Also the engine has to be in tip-top condition to start with. If you car has more than 50k miles on it it will be a waste of money.

The engine management system in the GS will optimise the settings for the fuel it gets and you probably would never notice any difference at all.

Fifth Gear on Channel 5 looked into using super unleaded in a variety of cars. They measured torque & bhp. It only made a difference on the a turbo charged sports car, I think it was a Subaru Imprezza WRC. Then they got an extra 5%. By the way the BP & Shell super unleaded gave a different result, I think the BP was better. They showed that unless you had a performance turbo car and used it to the limit, that is changed up at peak revs etc, it is not worth thinkling about it. Also the engine has to be in tip-top condition to start with. If you car has more than 50k miles on it it will be a waste of money.

The engine management system in the GS will optimise the settings for the fuel it gets and you probably would never notice any difference at all.

I have used it in a couple of my cars and it definatly did liven them up more, 1 is a 2.9 v6 cosworth granada the other a nissan 300zx the cosworth had most improvement i think even though the 300zx is twin turbo'd didnt measure mpg though as no point really because you only end up pressing accelerater harder will that fuels in... ! lol

The biggest improvement that I've seen was on wifey's previous 1996 Starlet with 116K on the clock. It pinked quite badly with nomal 95 RON but after just a couple of tanks of SUL the pinking was greatly reduced and after a cambelt change disappeared altogether.

• 4 years later...

Super unleaded DEFINITELY gives more power, torque and economy as well as a smoother engine. The RON rating refers to how much you can compress it before it self-ignites and so should be matched to compression ratio. Diesels have compression ratios approaching 20:1!!!

If you put crappy 95 RON in your 10.5:1 engine, it will tend to self-ignite, causing knocking and damage to your engine. To offset this manufacturers install a knock-sensor which retards the timing, but really kills the performance.

All explained here:

www.daytona-sensors.com/tech_tuning.html

This article suggests a MINIMUM of 98RON for a 10.5:1 engine.

• 1 year later...

Agreed with what is been mentioned, but I believe in most of the lexus car manuals it is mentioned a minimum octane of 95. :blink:

Yeah, as I said, it retards the timing so that your car CAN run on 95 but it runs far better on higher octane if it's a higher compression engine.