Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mixed Martial Arts (mma)

Pip

I was wondering if there are any practicing MMA trainees on here?

Having a background in Boxing, Shotoken (2yrs) and currently Bujiken JAG Ninjitsu (3yrs) which i find lethal with pressure point striking and adaptiveness to survival.

I have very little experience with ground work/fighting. Having never been to the ground myself, I was wondering if anyone on here has a little knowledge on the ground arts ie. Brazilian Jujitsu BJJ and Greco Roman wrestling?

I figured that it is best to be covered in all areas to make a better fighter and you never know. Just wanted a few opinions on which route to go? :winky:

Those not in the know just watch UFC, K1 and the likes and you will see majority of fights ending up on the floor for some part.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too linear in movement and too set based. Good striking strength can be built up from it. You are right if thats what you are into ie. the art and spiritual side which any good martial art will have. Shotoken doesnt have much in application for proper fighting, kumite is competition not REAL fighting. Thats why i stopped practicing. Thanks for your input.

1st Kyu Shotokan (about 10 years ago though)

Broke my wedding ring finger two weeks before 1st dan grading, and can not make a fist now as it does not bend at the end joint.

Really enjoyed it - very frustrating when I stopped.

Still train a bit - but only at home.

Shotoken doesnt have much in application for proper fighting

Well.. it does to a certain extent, but it's limited in scope, not taught to everyone, and it's more extrapolated from the "traditional" techniques with adaptations. Nevertheless, it's certainly not kick-boxing or pub brawl material and doesn't help with those, that's for sure :)

Cheers,

L.

Mr Morse keep your perversions to yourself lol! ;)

Leylandy thats what MMA is all about, proper fighting and real scenarios. Arent many schools here yet but its catching on.

Leylandy thats what MMA is all about, proper fighting and real scenarios. Arent many schools here yet but its catching on.

I gathered... however I've been a Shotokan practitioner (off and on with a 10-year break after attaining Nidan) since 1985. I've never once been involved in an actual fight, and I tend to avoid such situations where possible. Though I suspect that even Andy Sherry, Ticky Donnovan, Dave Hazard and Simon Oliver could give street fighters a run for their money :)

Interested in hearing more about MMA though at any rate, as I do know a few people who try to use "real world" applications with their martial arts.

L.

Lots of practioners of shotoken. Crazylex what you going to do when you need to strike? Cant open hand strike everyone.

Only really bothered with open hand (knife hand we called it) for gradings/kata not in open fights. More of a fist and foot man, although my mawashi geri was poor (due to a strain that put me out for a few months and never really went away). In fact when I think about it all my limbs have suffered ! (maybe I should have played Ludo like Steve)

When I could not grade properly I just lost interest back then.

My lad (13) is wanting to start kick boxing, trouble is the kick boxers that trained with us were head cases.

I take it those chaps are known in the world of shotoken? Yeah granted they obviously are able to strike and handle themselves a LOT better than the lay person however if it goes in close and to the ground they will be well out of their depth.

I recommend you watch Ultimate Fighting Competition where fighters of all arts are thrown into the mix. Seriously it will give you a good idea of the effectiveness of linear arts.

I recall an interesting one where a karateka went in and was dropped within seconds LMFAO!! The dude was out cold while still stood up!!

One of the hardest chaps i know is trained in boxing and judo and it makes him a tough fighter to break. Good hand speed and striking but also deadly in close. Doesnt help the fact he is also a bodybuilder with a massive amount of weight behind him. I have sparred with him and i also bodybuild and am not a small lad @ 15st 10lbs (conditioned) found it hard with his bulk @ 21st (conditioned).

Right so where are the grapplers and ground & pound practioners??

Crazylex kick boxing is tosh its a sport as you know. Good for cardio and point scoring. Try a couple of roundhouses in the pub and by the time you can say ippon you will have a glass round your head!!

Muay Thai, spirtitual, traditional(discipline) and very, very effective unless you are up against an assassin ie. myself LMFAO!! :lol:

Leylandy I believe Krav Maga is one which has recognition for 'real life' application. Used by Israeli special forces too.

9 years in the Kung Fu game myself, 4 of it in Lau Gar then rest in Wing Chun and started Krav Maga in november.

Krav and Wing Chun i have found to be very complimentry towards each other, not in everything mind, just mainly in its simultanious striking/bloking and its simplicity in techniques.

Wing Chun will allways be my base art, its simple, effective and devastating, the best bit for me is the wooden dummy form and the sticky hands which is akin to chess but with you hands...

Im of the opinion that i dont care what art you do,, if you go toe to toe with a good boxer then your in trouble.

UFC - went to see in the flesh when they were in the UK at the Albert Hall, now the best thing in the UK is the Cage Rage series which have gone from strength to strength since there days at the York Hall in Bethnall Green and i try to go to them all, next one is in april...

Mark at TDI is a bit of a MMA practitioner..

I like wrestling with black gals :D

Auto or manual ?

Silly question dude of course an AUTO for him!! ;)

Mr Morse you should check out 2 live crew, well up your street.

Hence fargo i have boxing experience and i agree to a point. Cage Rage in my opinion is ******* because what i have seen on bravo etc it seems watered down. Not seen it in the flesh (so it might be different?)but i will be seeing UFC when it returns. I seen a couple of fighters in cage rage that have progressed to the UFC as thats where the best fighters gather other than the illegal circuit(been to a few of them :winky: ) eg. Renato "Babaloo" Sobral (good jujitsu & striking skills)

I attended a couple of Wing Chun sessions. Wing Chun was the base of Bruce Lee's early training, no? Founded by a chinese(no s***) woman, intended for the smaller and less physically sized i believe.

Not had a shot at JKD yet but have been taught 'intercepting fist' striking and also fought with a JKD practioner BTW he was taken at range and then very badly hurt once inside. Cant judge his martial art upon him as he could have been bad at applying it but for his development and level he got destroyed.

Every art has its good and bad and its fine commenting about theory etc, etc but the essence is in actual practice/application and the ONLY way is through fighting. Not sparring or regulation but a proper fight in todays scenarios.

I have had a LOT of experience: one on one, multiple t****, all sorts of weapon attacks ie.cut throats, CS, koshes, been bottled etc. It aint good, hence why i got out of security but still have my ties :)

It shapes you as a fighter and unless you have been there its hard to comment, essentially.

If you can prempt something before it occurs then you are one step ahead that only comes with experience, not gonna carry on.........

NOW BACK TO MY QUESTION..anyone versed in ground arts/grappling?? Especially interested in BJJ, Greco Roman, vale tudo & sambo.

Well I have a little bit of different martial arts experience. Ten years practicing Judo, which if you ask me is the best actual martial art for grappling and ground work. It's also very useful in actual fight scenarios...

Most fights end in a messy tangle of bodies (as for some reason when people are in a fight they like to hold the other person's clothing). This give Judo practitioners an advantage.

If you want to learn how to grapple, I suggest Judo, AikiJitsu or Jujitsu. They have the best techniques for groundwork.

I am also not too shabby at Tae Kwon-Do which I have had to give up due to my laziness. When I stoped I was at second Gup. Tae Kwon-Do doesn't have that mush application in the real world, unless you're very good in which case you really can't be touched. Good thing about Tae Kwon-Do is that it teaches a lot of off topic self-defence moves, that I know from experience work.

To be honest if you're very good at any martial art (including boxing), you will have a huge advantage. But remember that for most martial arts when you reach black belt, you hands are technically classed as weapons, so be careful!

I have also had a few classes in self-defence from Peter Constadine and some armed police protection people.

Ok Pip, I have been into ground fighting for over 10 years, mainly through Judo and Ju-Jitsu and was 4th in the UK ground fighting championships a few years a go (beat by a Brazilian ringer)

I mainly used a Gi but started fighting NHB at Defence Unlimited at Stockport, and believe me ground fighting when punching was involved is a different kettle of fish.

If you are looking to better your chances on the ground you could go down the Judo, Brazilian Ju-Jitsu and wrestling route that would give you a good base, but nothing compares to actual NHB training itself.

I have just started instructing NHB to a small group of friends who have trained in the past so to keep up with the latest methods etc. I purchased a DVD set off e-bay by a guy called Bas Rutten from Holland who is probably one of the best instructors going in NHB, the set is 10 DVD's with all aspects of ground and pound including two tapes on leg locks alone, and a full DVD on effective striking on the ground; the guy who sells them has a username of endtoendburner and they sell for about £30.

You could get a spare afternoon one a week with a good training partner and learn from the basics to the advanced just using these tapes alone.

If you are interested in local classes, pm me your address and I will let you know who is the best to go to in your area.

Jasp

Lexmas: You never reveal your bushido therefore you will never have to worry about getting in bother with using what you know.

Jasper: Cheers for your input. I am not very keen on self learning, would rather have instruction by a qualified sensei or the like.

I am keen on the the BJJ and russian sambo what the spetsnaz employ. Just to find some instruction now. :blink:

Pip,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what is russian sambo and BJJ? I assume that BJJ is something to to with JuJitsu, but I've never heard of russian sambo.

It's good to learn a range of techniques whatever you do. I agree that there is no substitute if you want to learn something completely, than getting face to face instruction. I'm sure the DVDs Jasper mentioned are very good, but I've found that some techniques require personal instruction - ;)

Hope you're able to find someone in the discipline and style you're after.

Russian Sambo is/was the soviet form of military martial arts. It is the only martial art that has been deliberately sought out and sanctioned by the soviet government. I believe it was an attempt to unify the states of russia in one form. It is not a pretty art at all with everything being of purpose, military style. Chokes, suffication, gouging, strangles (which is employed in ninjitsu as well). The russian special forces(spetsnaz; very tough b******. One was a heavyweight UFC champion) use this in its unadulterated form. It is generally watered down for outsiders, not the version I wish to learn. A lot is close quarter combat. Right up my street with its viciousness and lack of remorse but finding an ex-spetsnaz is gonna be tough. It purpose is total devestation of the enemy.

Brazilian Jujitsu BJJ, is pretty self explanatory. Again a lot of locks, submissions and grappling. Came to the forefront with Royce Gracie (UFC) dominating the league with this, later changed the system to his own form of 'Gracie jujitsu'.

Leyland, Jasper.