Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Was driving in the pouring rain when suddenly my wipers just stop! the wipers twitch slightly when I move the position to fast but other wise nothing?

What could the problem be?

Faulty switch thats my ten pounds worth.

Was driving in the pouring rain when suddenly my wipers just stop! the wipers twitch slightly when I move the position to fast but other wise nothing?

Faulty switch thats my ten pounds worth.

I think Andy is right as twitching indicates some current is getting through, which won't happen with a blown fuse, but check anyway.

You are going to need a multimeter!

Also looking at the circuit layout the wiper motor is fed by the wiper relay, but it appears to be buried in behine the instrument panel, so lets not look at that yet.

There is a solid lavender wire going into the wiper washer combination switch, check that you have 12V to ground here with the ignition on.

At this point you could disconnect the loom plug and test the continuity between the solid lavender terminal and the lavender/black stripe terminal when the is in the "low" setting. If there is no continuity then the switch is bust. If its fine it may be the relay or the motor.

Report back once you have had a look at the easy stuff.

Good luck,

Leadfoot.

i had one on a gs a little while ago were the washers did not work but i worked when the steering wheel was in a diff pos

i looked at it took off the covers and one of the wires in the loom that go around that white thing at the bottom of the wheel was broke new wire and better then new

Finally sorted it!

Turned out the brushes in the motor after 12 years had finally worn out, the remaining fragment from one of the three brushes had then jammed against one of the rotor contacts breaking it loose and making it unservicable. £40 later on a second hand motor got it working again.

The whole unit is not as well designed as I hoped and does not make it easy to remove and replace the motor, I should also add that there are infact 2 motors, one to run the wipers and the other to park them.

Removing the motor from the unit requires a hammer and removing the wiper blades and arms from the unit require some elbow grease if they have been put on tight.

For all those looking to attempt this:

Remove wiper blades and then arms.

Remove plastic trim from both sides.

Undo 4 bolts holding unit in place, making sure to remember that 1 out of the 4 has a round sleeve and not an oval one.

Remove cable ties.

Use a socket/spanner to rotate motor assembly bolt to give access to the 3 screws holding motor in place. Dont undo screws yet.

Undo that bolt.

Undo the 3 screws.

Use hammer to seperate motor assembly from arm.

When putting it all back together, remember to turn the wipers on and then off prior to reattaching the wipers or the arms so that the motor goes back to the parked position.

Install the wipers in the parked position.

And I believe thats it!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links