Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh bu**er,has anyone changed the steering rack on a 91 celsior(ls400),mines started leaking fluid out of the n/side end so im assuming its died on me,found a new rack for £150 which I thought was a good price but dont know how long the jobs likely to take,or usual problems encountered on the way so to speak,have done a search but cant find any postings on the job. Help please. Ian.

Oh bu**er,has anyone changed the steering rack on a 91 celsior(ls400),mines started leaking fluid out of the n/side end so im assuming its died on me,found a new rack for £150 which I thought was a good price but dont know how long the jobs likely to take,or usual problems encountered on the way so to speak,have done a search but cant find any postings on the job. Help please. Ian.

Its not bad if you do it in sequence. First time i did it it took about 4 hrs, second time about 1.5 hrs.

Pull Wheels

Get Calipers and Pads off

Soak all bolts with penetration lube such as WD 40, I use PB

Pull Tie Rods

Then:

First thing you have to do is pull pps solenoid. it is located on rack,underneath the steering nuckle and only thing with 2 wires. I used vice grips and it came off fairly easy, unplug it

Next get a line wrench 17mm and disconect 2 big lines behind pps solenoid on rack, note there are 4 solid lines on rack 2 small on front of rack facing the back of the car(do not remove just a waiste of time) I found it easier to break line bolts with the 2 wrench cheater

be sure to have a drip pan ready fluid will pour out

Pull drivers seat all the way up and stick seatbelt through the steering wheel and connect it, then push seat back untill the seatbelt is taught and you cant turn steering wheel.THIS IS IMPORTANT for allignment plus you will not dammage youre air bag and clock spring Disconect steering nuckle,2 12mm bolts.once bolts are out use flat head screwdriver and tap knuckle up untill its off rack.

Remove steering dampining shock Remove the side that has 1 bolt,The other side is part of the mount and cannot be taken off at this point

There are 4 big bolts and nuts that hold rack to frame 2 on left 2 on right take those out dampining shock will be lose and hanging. save the shock and metal clamp

Last is remove the 4 outer transmission mount bolts and remove. Dont worry transmission wont fall. jack up transmission about 3 to 4 inches. slide rack to the right or in the US left remove 2 rubber mounts then pull out. Removal is complete!

Reverse to install.

would recomend replacing outer tie rods since you are doing all this work.

On the Tie Rods make note of distance from where the threads start on the rack to where tie rod bolt is this will also make it easier to allign

Get a Allignment done

thanks for that,I was wondering whether to try changing the end seals in the rack first,but need to know a part number so i can get them before starting the job ,if i remove the seals to get the part number im without transport untill the following w/end,any idea where i could find out ?? Ian.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links