Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 On Lpg

skhell

Hello to all!

I own a 1999 Lexus IS200 and I am thinking on converting it to run on LPG. I have been reading that toyota engines have a problem with the valves when the engine runs on LPG, making the valves and the seat valves to wear much faster.

I also read that there is a special lubrificant that prevent this to happen, it's called FlashLube. http://www.flashlube.com.au/store/

Does anyone here have a IS200 converted to run on LPG? If so, I would like to know if you had FlashLube(or other) installed and if you had any problems with the valves.

Also, if possible, I would like to know some things:

Mileage on LPG

Miles done after LPG instalation

LPG system(brand name)

LPG tank size

Thank you all!

Hello to all!

I own a 1999 Lexus IS200 and I am thinking on converting it to run on LPG. I have been reading that toyota engines have a problem with the valves when the engine runs on LPG, making the valves and the seat valves to wear much faster.

I also read that there is a special lubrificant that prevent this to happen, it's called FlashLube. http://www.flashlube.com.au/store/

Does anyone here have a IS200 converted to run on LPG? If so, I would like to know if you had FlashLube(or other) installed and if you had any problems with the valves.

Mileage on LPG

LPG system(brand name)

LPG tank size

Thank you all!

Hi, I had my IS200 converted about 18 mths ago with teething issues at the start but all seem ok now, i still havent got round to installing flashlube as yet, but it is recommended. My LPG installer didnt seem to think it needed it as it gets lubricated when starting on Petrol, but id rather be safe than sorry!

I have a 1999 Model Lexus already on LPG, Bought it already converted since 2001 on a older type of system.

If you are thinking of doing this make sure you get a Multi-point injection that is mapped into the ECU.

Install Flashlube Kit, highly recommeded. (just had mine installed) buy it off eBay for around £40.

Basically Flashlube is a Lubricant which looks after the top end of the engine dripped in through the air intake point.

Milage: i fill my tank (installed i the the boot, not the spare tyre) for around £15.00 which gives me about 150 miles local. Motor way is a lot better around 175+ depending upon how yu drive.

System Type i heave read that the Italian systems are the best but not sure..

Tank siz, mine is a 40lt but you can have smaller..

Hope it helps, it's well worth it.

Dibslpg

Hello to all!

Mileage on LPG

LPG system(brand name)

LPG tank size

Thank you all!

Hi, I had my IS200 converted about 18 mths ago with teething issues at the start but all seem ok now, i still havent got round to installing flashlube as yet, but it is recommended. My LPG installer didnt seem to think it needed it as it gets lubricated when starting on Petrol, but id rather be safe than sorry!

Thanks for the info, it's quite helpfull :)

What do you mean with "teething issues"?

Did you any more problems that could be related to lpg?

How many miles have you done since you have installed LPG on the car and how many miles the car has(total miles).

Hello to all!

Mileage on LPG

LPG system(brand name)

LPG tank size

Thank you all!

I had my 2000 IS 200 converted approximately 18 months ago. I had a multipoint system installed with an ECU link. The car had covered 58000 miles when converted. Flashlube was not recommended by the installer and so was not fitted. Within 20,000 miles the engine began to missfire. Whent into my local dealership who said that the valve seats had burnt on 3 valves. Luckily there was enough adjustment on the shims to bring them back into tolerance. The LPG installer said that the reason that only 3 valves had burnt, not all of them was because often the car leaves the factory with the valves within tolerance but not equally adjusted. Once the valve seat begins to burn it deteriorates rapidly. I now have flaslube fitted and the car has now covered 166,000 miles with no further problems. Hope this helps! :) :)

Stuartmonks,

How can you tell if the car is missfiring please? Sorry if this sounds daft :blush: but mine sometime displays the engine light when on LPG or Petrol for a few minutes.. nothing happens the car drives fine and after a few mins it turn off.

Should I start to worry or is it the thing to do with the change from petrol to LPG?

The car has covered 139k by last owner Not sur eif he has had the Valve seats re-adjusted etc... But i do now he never had it the LPG system Serviced since the install back in 2001 :ohmy: I have had the system tested and fully serviced and nothing came up except that the filters can not be removed cos they are stuck in.. It runs a lot smoother and the Flash Lube kit installed too.

Basically how can i tell if the valve seats are burnt or not.. :question:

Cheers

Dibslpg

I had my 2000 IS 200 converted approximately 18 months ago. I had a multipoint system installed with an ECU link. The car had covered 58000 miles when converted. Flashlube was not recommended by the installer and so was not fitted. Within 20,000 miles the engine began to missfire. Whent into my local dealership who said that the valve seats had burnt on 3 valves. Luckily there was enough adjustment on the shims to bring them back into tolerance. The LPG installer said that the reason that only 3 valves had burnt, not all of them was because often the car leaves the factory with the valves within tolerance but not equally adjusted. Once the valve seat begins to burn it deteriorates rapidly. I now have flaslube fitted and the car has now covered 166,000 miles with no further problems. Hope this helps! :) :)

72k a year! :o wow you do some milage no wonder you had it converted! good going :D

Stuartmonks,

How can you tell if the car is missfiring please? Sorry if this sounds daft :blush: but mine sometime displays the engine light when on LPG or Petrol for a few minutes.. nothing happens the car drives fine and after a few mins it turn off.

Probably grumbling that the mixture is too weak or too rich. Mine used to grumble about it being too weak occasionally, so hooked up to the Romano ECU and upped the fuel trims across the range by 20%. Haven't seen the engine light since.

Stuartmonks,

Probably grumbling that the mixture is too weak or too rich. Mine used to grumble about it being too weak occasionally, so hooked up to the Romano ECU and upped the fuel trims across the range by 20%. Haven't seen the engine light since.

Cheers eXoBex

What's this Remano ECU :question: sorry to sound daft but never cam across it before?

Is it a Diognostics PC? and who would i have to go and see to have fuel Trims upped please? anyone local to Leeds?

Thanks,

Dibslpg

• 2 years later...

Hey That is great to read. I had my 2001 IS200 converted 3 years ago. Had huge problems with stalling eventually always when cold, plus big loss of power, and last year they fitted new valves and valve seats, which in addition to fitting 6 new coil packs, due to incorrect diagnosis of the stalling problem cost me the thick end of £3000. I therefore thought I was being super cautious when I took the car in again yesterday, but sure enough there is wear on at least 2 valves....they are now doing the repair under warranty, and fitting a FLASH LUBE KIT. It is great to know that yours has done nearly 90,000 miles since the flash lube installation. The problem on mine got chronic probably after around 20,000 miles. I was thinking I would have to get rid.

PRINZ PRINZ PRINZ

The only system worth having IMHO, I have had 3 LPG cars the Prinz one was by far the best and the most reliable. But stay away from the chap in Milton Keynes he really made a mess of my Scooby then tried to blame "his fitter" as he was on holiday. There are good installers out there but really do your home work and make sure they have done an IS200 before. The governing body is a joke and not worth relying on as a sign of competence.

Expect 5 to 10% less MPG and 2-5% less power, but apart from that you should not notice the diff.

Hey That is great to read. I had my 2001 IS200 converted 3 years ago. Had huge problems with stalling eventually always when cold, plus big loss of power, and last year they fitted new valves and valve seats, which in addition to fitting 6 new coil packs, due to incorrect diagnosis of the stalling problem cost me the thick end of £3000. I therefore thought I was being super cautious when I took the car in again yesterday, but sure enough there is wear on at least 2 valves....they are now doing the repair under warranty, and fitting a FLASH LUBE KIT. It is great to know that yours has done nearly 90,000 miles since the flash lube installation. The problem on mine got chronic probably after around 20,000 miles. I was thinking I would have to get rid.

Quite a few people it seems who are are thinking of converting to LPG, have the dilemma of whether or not to fit a Flashlube system, some LPG conversion centres reccomend it and some don't, personally after spending nearly £2000 having mine done, an extra £60 to add the Flashlube system protecting the valves and valve seats is a no brainer, and certainly gave me peace of mind.

For those who are thinking of, or who have had the Flashlube fitted though, I found this bit of info which came from Prins, makes for good reading.

"Re: Flashlube

System: VSI – Autogas

Flashlube:Regarding the effects of to much Flashlube and the effects on Lambdas.

From field experience appeared that a wrong Flashlube dosage can lead to an incorrect lambda

signal.

A too high dosage of Flashlube can cause a slow working or even a not at all working lambda

probe. It is possible that the lambda probe shows a wrong mixture (lean in stead of the actual

mixture). In this case the self learning values (fuel trims) will go out of range. It is even possible

that an error code will be set (mixture too lean) or that the catalytic converter will be

damaged.

This phenomenon appears mostly after starting with a warm engine or in case the engine has

been on idle for a longer period (highest under pressure -> biggest amount of Flashlube).

Prins advises, in case Flashlube is fitted, to guard the quantity (dosage) of Flashlube attentively.

Adjustment regulation manufacturer:

At idling speed: 12 drops per minute.

Average consumption should be 1 ml per liter fuel (compare, after

filling up with fuel, the used amount of Flashlube with with the filled up

amount of fuel)."

Funnily enough a couple of weeks ago my VSC light and Engine light both came on together, took it to Lexus who banged it on their diagnostic comp, told me it was running lean but on the LPG side, so I took it back to the LPG lads, 10 minutes and it was sorted.

Hope this helps Nev :winky:

I've recently had a Prinns system installed in my 3ltr Sportcross and was advised against a flash lube system.

What was recommended was Redex in the petrol so that the valves are kept clean as the car starts on petrol before changing to gas.

I'm not convinced but, on reading about valve seat recession, it seems to be worse at high revs, not load - something to do with the valves turning in their seats.

So as the Sportcross is an auto and runs at relatively low revs (hardly ever above 3k as I drive like a granny) I've not fitted the flash lube kit.

...and should I need to drive in anger it's really neat to switch from LPG to petrol, pop the gear leaver into M and use the buttons on the steering wheel to drop a few cogs etc.

Question is - should I fit a flash lube kit or carry on with the Redex?

Cheers

jack

Follow the garage advice, then you have come back if something goes wrong. It is worth keeping at least 1/4 tank of petrol in the system as the fuel pump is always running. Redex will also keep the injectors clean as this can be a problem with long term LPG usage.